Free Floating Forearm Help

The LaRue rails are great. The 12" or 11" rail, for a Recce or SPR, is somewhat heavy, but the 7" rail for a carbine gas system or the 9" rail for a mid-length gas system does not increase the carbine's weight or interfere with the carbine's balance unduly. The LaRue rail has an excellent locking device which prevents the rail from turning once installed. I find the LaRue rail with TD rail covers to be very comfortable. The advantage of a free-float rail is improved accuracy, less heat buildup, and a lot of rail space for accessories, such as a light, bi-pod adapter, laser, vertical grip, whatever.

The one piece free-float rails are not easy to install on a ban-style rifle that has a permanently-attached muzzle device because the standard front site base needs to be removed. If the carbine has a permanently-attached muzzle device that you don't intend to remove and reinstall, then a two piece rail is required, such as the Troy or Daniel Defense Omega. For any new build that doesn't have the muzzle device permanently attached as yet, or a preban-style upper, the LaRue and Daniel Defense rails are excellent. I have three carbines with LaRue rails. Two have ban-style uppers that I built, and I have the muzzle devices blind pinned after the barrels and rails were installed on the uppers. A vice, upper receiver block, and a strap wrench come in handy, but you would likely have those tools anyway.

For installation, I recommend ADCO. The service is excellent, and the cost (and shipping cost) is very reasonable.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/

YHM will install thier products, I believe they do it no charge. It maybe extra if your pinned/welded muzzle brake needs removal? best to call

Back
Top Bottom