Frankford Arsenal Case Prep Center

Anyone use one yet? Hard to find a review on these things. I got fed up with my Possum Hollow and Lyman hand chamfer/deburr tool about 50 cases into a bucket of about 1300 .223 cases this weekend, and ordered one. Should be in tomorrow. I'll post a mini review of it once I do a few hundred cases on it.

Ran about 250 .223 cases on it this evening. Works awesome. Only complaint that I have is that the trimmer is a bit slow. It takes about 1 sec per 0.001" being trimmed. I had a lot of LC brass that was around 1.765", that I was trimming to 1.745", so they took about 20sec to trim, and about 5-10sec to chamfer, deburr, and uniform the primer pocket (I replaced the primer pocket cleaner it came with with my RCBS uniformer).

20 seconds does not seem too bad. I use the wilson hand trimmer. By the time I put the case in the case holder, put it in the trimmer, trim, and remove it from the case holder, I am probably at 20 seconds or more. Plus it is just a pain. Does it chamfer and debur better than by hand? what model was it and how much?

Anyone use one yet? Hard to find a review on these things. I got fed up with my Possum Hollow.....

I have been reloading .45 ACP for almost 20 years (so I'm not new to reloading), but I haven't done any rifle cartridges yet. I have been thinking of buying a .223 setup for my Dillon and don't want to spend a ton on Dillon's trimmer. I recently heard of the Possum Hollow and watched some youtube videos. It looked okay ... at least from the youtube videos.

What don't people like about it? (My usage would be 100 - 500 cases at a time using the Possum Hollow in a large drill press).

Id check out the WFT trimmer. WFT= worlds finest trimmer The only issue with it is the brass chips. If you set up a shop vac nozzle on the drill press it isn't a problem. And i'd recommend a drill press over a hand drill if you have one.

I have been reloading .45 ACP for almost 20 years (so I'm not new to reloading), but I haven't done any rifle cartridges yet. I have been thinking of buying a .223 setup for my Dillon and don't want to spend a ton on Dillon's trimmer. I recently heard of the Possum Hollow and watched some youtube videos. It looked okay ... at least from the youtube videos.

What don't people like about it? (My usage would be 100 - 500 cases at a time using the Possum Hollow in a large drill press).

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

What I hated about my Possum Hollow was that the entire cutter spun around the brass, which heated the brass up and left rings around it from the friction. Simple, but cheap and crappy design IMO. From what I understand, isn't the WFT the same way? And the EZ-Trim is only different in the sense that there is a bearing the brass sits inside which prevents the friction rings?

In the FA case prep center, the cutting head is the only thing that moves. The brass is slid into a collar (which you can tighten down to minimize slop and ensure a squared cut) that is fixed, and you just apply constant pressure to keep the brass against the cutting head until it is the correct length. Give it a half turn or so once you no longer feel the vibration of the cutting head hitting the brass to ensure it's squared. My calipers measure to 0.0005", and every single piece I cut measured 1.7450" or 1.7455".

Chamfer and deburr is very easy, and it does a damn good job. I wish there were more flutes on the chamfer tool to cut down on chattering. You can't hold the case with just your index/middle finger and thumb when chamfering -- I found using two hands (index/middle fingers, thumb on each) was easy and not as fatiguing as trying to hold the brass extra tightly with one hand. For trimming, deburring, and uniforming you can use one hand

Since it turns relatively slowly, brass shavings don't fly everywhere. I put some paper towels down on my coffee table and did 250 cases last night while watching TV. No shavings even made it to the floor. There is also a brass deflector that clips on to the trimmer which prevents the brass shavings from the chamfer/deburr/uniformer tools from gumming the trimmer up. I had to turn the TV up pretty loudly, but I also had two box fans running and the windows open (relatively busy road right outside). It's about as loud as an electric (plug in) drill is when in use.

I paid $175 shipped, from Amazon. http://smile.amazon.com/Frankford-A...JEB4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403291965&sr=8-1

The more I think about this and the more YouTube videos I watch the more I am thinking about a separate tool head for my Dillon 650 with a Dillon 1200 trimmer. With my case feeder it sure looks fast and easy.

I have time to think about it for a while .......

From what I understand, isn't the WFT the same way? And the EZ-Trim is only different in the sense that there is a bearing the brass sits inside which prevents the friction rings?

The WFT also has a bearing in it like the EZ-Trim. I was going to buy the Possum Hollow but after reading some reviews on it I held off and got the WFT which had pretty much just hit the market. It fits my bill for the amount .223 I've been shooting. It does leave a nice case mouth with no burrs when I'm done and I'm able to load boat tail bullets without having to chamfer.

The more I think about this and the more YouTube videos I watch the more I am thinking about a separate tool head for my Dillon 650 with a Dillon 1200 trimmer. With my case feeder it sure looks fast and easy.

I have time to think about it for a while .......
If you get the 1200rt trimmer take a look at the GS swager. you can decap, swage and trim one pass through the 650. gonna be trying this out soon myself.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

The WFT also has a bearing in it like the EZ-Trim. I was going to buy the Possum Hollow but after reading some reviews on it I held off and got the WFT which had pretty much just hit the market. It fits my bill for the amount .223 I've been shooting. It does leave a nice case mouth with no burrs when I'm done and I'm able to load boat tail bullets without having to chamfer.
Yup. And the EZ Trim can change calibers with a new bearing insert for $15 whereas the WFT is one $70 unit per caliber.

If you get the 1200rt trimmer take a look at the GS swager. you can decap, swage and trim one pass through the 650. gonna be trying this out soon myself.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

I hear that the GS swager can ruin the dillon 650. I know that it invalidates the warranty on it. Its been known to break shell plates. Supposedly, it scores the bottom of the shell plate which is how Dillon can tell.

What I hated about my Possum Hollow was that the entire cutter spun around the brass, which heated the brass up and left rings around it from the friction.
I use the Possum Hollow mounted in a drill press and have probably trimmed 2000-3000 223 cases and I don't ever remember it scratching the brass from spinning. Not sure of the RPM I use but it only takes a couple of seconds to trim a case.

Since the PH indexes off the case shoulder I'm not sure the case OAL is as consistent as a trimmer that indexes off the entire case length if it matters at all. I use it for volume vice pure accuracy rounds, i.e. 3-gun vice Precision Rifle.

David E.

Anyone use one yet? Hard to find a review on these things. I got fed up with my Possum Hollow and Lyman hand chamfer/deburr tool about 50 cases into a bucket of about 1300 .223 cases this weekend, and ordered one. Should be in tomorrow. I'll post a mini review of it once I do a few hundred cases on it.
It is faster and easier than a hand crank it. It comes with just about everything to do whatever caliber you want. Mine had a weird squeaky grindy noise the second time I used it. I found the cooling fan had slipped about an inch on the shaft and was rubbing against the wiring. Unplug it and use a small screwdriver to push the fan back and all is good. I did 400 cases in a couple hours trimming, beveling, deburring, and removing a crimp from the primer pocket. I could have done the primer pockets a tad more. It works well but I'm not sure how durable it will be long term. The best thing is it runs quiet enough to watch and hear the tv while it is in use.

Wow. That looks nice for $175.

I just bought a Giraud. But if I knew about this, I might have given it a try.

Of course after trimming, chamfering and deburing 400 cases in 30 min, I'm not about to give it back.
The round needs to be in contact with the cutting head for about 2 or 3 seconds to trim to length.

I do like the FA's adjustable collet. I wish Giraud offered something like that.

Just read the Amazon reviews. It looks like a great item for the money.

Considering this quote, I don't regret the Giraud purchase:
I prepped about 400 5.56/223 cases this afternoon. After about 2 hours, the housing was hot, but I could hold the back of my hand against it. Your hands will get fatigued from doing large numbers of cases.

So this is certainly better than a hand cranked trimmer. But it appears to be about 1/4th the speed of the Giraud. (30 min vs 2 hrs)

I'm not disparaging this. I'm just trying to draw a distinction. It looks really great for the money.

I hear that the GS swager can ruin the dillon 650. I know that it invalidates the warranty on it. Its been known to break shell plates. Supposedly, it scores the bottom of the shell plate which is how Dillon can tell.

I am using the GS shellplate for case prep. It holds brass in place more snugly than the dillon and works better for swaging. I think the only real issues with GS stuff and Dillon is that there is a lot of butthurt between them. I cant begin to see how the swager will "ruin" the dillon.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

I am using the GS shellplate for case prep. It holds brass in place more snugly than the dillon and works better for swaging. I think the only real issues with GS stuff and Dillon is that there is a lot of butthurt between them. I cant begin to see how the swager will "ruin" the dillon.

There is a thread over on ARF about that swager, and people there said the same thing. I'm not familiar with it at all, but the gist I got was that Dillon can tell if you've installed the GS swager because the marks the bracket makes are noticeable and they will not replace parts for free if they determined you use the GS. In theory, I don't see why the GS would be any harder on the press than just seating a primer is.

I did another couple hundred cases with the FA prep center. Still works great, I just wish it trimmed faster!

Wanted to update, now that I've done 1000+ cases on it.

Average time is 15.7s per case, or about 230 cases per minute. I just finished up a 350 case session, so the machine was running for 90min+ straight, with no issues of overheating or anything like that. The trim length has remained spot on with zero adjusting. Same with the chamfer/deburr tools -- nothing has needed tightening.

Does it have any externally driven heads?

If you could put a crimp remover and a primer hole debur tool in it, it would be very nice.

I watched a review last night and the guy put a crimp remover in the top head. Looks like an efficient way to get everything done in one place.

I watched a review last night and the guy put a crimp remover in the top head. Looks like an efficient way to get everything done in one place.

Yes it does look pretty efficient. It looks like an excellent value. I have the RCBS Case Prep center. Its got 4 or 5 powered heads. But I trim separately. The Frankford is the same cost as an RCBS plus a MANUAL case trimmer. Very nice.

Last edited:
I just bought this Frankford Arsenal prep center. Has anyone figured out a way to speed it up? Will using a different cutting blade help? I don't understand why it would be so much slower than my WFT when the basic operation is the same, although maybe the WFT spins faster on a drill?

With the Frankford Arsenal trimmer I'm able to do 5 per minute. There has to be a better way that doesn't cost a fortune. I was really hoping this would be the right tool but unless there's some upgrade I can do to get more speed it's going back.

Send you brass to a company to process it for you. Save your time... I have this case prep center. It works well, but still very time consuming

With the Frankford Arsenal trimmer I'm able to do 5 per minute. There has to be a better way that doesn't cost a fortune. I was really hoping this would be the right tool but unless there's some upgrade I can do to get more speed it's going back.

Worlds finest trimmer is OK...non-carbide blades wear out around 5k cases, doesn't chamfer and debur.

Giraud Tri-Way does it all in one step for $106 shipped.

Trim It 2 is also one step but doesn't capture shavings and costs more.

The Lee powered quick trim (the one that goes in a die on the press) is fast and accurate if you remove the chamfer and debur blades and only use it as a cutter, but then you need to chamfer and debur separately. Definitely not the best option, but its fast and cheap.

Back
Top Bottom