• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Frame Question

Do you need to do a FA-10 on a pistol frame if it was already registered. I'm trying to buy it but he's all out of personal transfers for the year.

Thanks

Nope, you are good to go. A frame is not capable to firing a shot. The FA-10 does not need to be filed out until it is.

Most shops (FFL) WILL fill out an FA-10 on a frame. I know they did when I got my Caspian frame a bunch of years ago. The clerk was turning the frame over and looking at it closely. I asked what he was looking for. He said the S/N. I pointed out the "45ACP" stamped on the right side and he kept insisting that was the caliber marking. It took me a while to convince him otherwise. [grin]

Last edited:
So, just a bill of sale [STRIKE=undefined]and my license [/STRIKE]and it's good to go

It is not a firearm, under MGLs, therefore there is no requirement that you have a license. It's just a paperweight.

Now....a private seller may want to SEE your LTC, but there's no recording of info, or reporting requirements.

IPSC has it right.

Huh, I thought that since this frame was already registered (according to the op) that it would have to have a FA10. Like if someone had an complete AR that was registered then stripped down the lower and sold it, it would have to be done on a FA10? I know new frames or new stripped lowers didn't need FA10 but I thought previously registered ones did?

You might want to consult with an expert or lawyer here...
Based on my cursory review of the FA10 information ... it seems that you can only use the frame loophole if the handgun had never been FA-10ed ... because once you assemble it you would "register it"
Specifically the registration page states "3) you possess a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun and there is no record of the weapon on file with the Firearms Records Bureau."
So if an FA-10 had been filed under that SN previously, I think the prior owner would have to report the loss or sale otherwise they would still be listed as the owner of that firearm in the database?
It may cause you an issue later on if you try to register the firearm as a result.

*Shakes Magic 8 Ball*
Signs point to yes.

While I'm not a lawyer, I wouldn't chance it. Devil Advocate - I guess I could start disassembling all my firearms - selling the receivers/frames on a Bill of Sale, because hey - technically in MA they're not capable of firing a shot in their current state. Then giving the guy a bag of parts and reassembling it, leaving it up to him/her to FA-10 it.

It's a valid question but as of now it has no definitive answer. I have asked that question of FRB last Thursday, part of a long list of questions.

You might want to consult with an expert or lawyer here...
Based on my cursory review of the FA10 information ... it seems that you can only use the frame loophole if the handgun had never been FA-10ed ... because once you assemble it you would "register it"
Specifically the registration page states "3) you possess a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun and there is no record of the weapon on file with the Firearms Records Bureau."
So if an FA-10 had been filed under that SN previously, I think the prior owner would have to report the loss or sale otherwise they would still be listed as the owner of that firearm in the database?
It may cause you an issue later on if you try to register the firearm as a result.

Re the bolded part: There have been numerous threads about your sales not being taken off your "inventory", via the FA-10 system.

I asked what he was looking for. He said the S/N. I pointed out the "45ACP" stamped on the right side and he kept insisting that was the caliber marking. It took me a while to convince him otherwise. [grin]

I had the same experience with S/N 38SUPER

If I were selling a frame, registered or not, I would insist on an eFA-10 transaction because I don't have a clue what the Buyer will do with it (even though he is licensed).

Back
Top Bottom