• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fox

I saw a fox in the woods behind my house at dusk yesterday. I was surprised by the color which was almost an exact match to the leaves and whatnot on the forest floor, and not at all like the red that I've see before. It was pretty small and short-legged so not a coyote.

It could have been 1) a red fox but I was fooled by the low light, or 2) red foxes aren't so red in winter or if sick, or 3) a fox but not a red fox, or 4) not a fox. What's likely?

Gray fox? http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/wildlife/living/living_with_foxes.htm

gray_fox_night.jpg

I have one that frequents my area that looks like thisView attachment 14742 and its got a screaming bark that would wake the dead. Its been as close as six feet from my front door hunting a neighbor's cat that sometimes hangs around the yard or the rabbits that munch on the dandelions in the lawn in the fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one that frequents my area that looks like thisView attachment 14742 and its got a screaming bark that would wake the dead. Its been as close as six feet from my front door hunting a neighbor's cat that sometimes hangs around the yard or the rabbits that munch on the dandelions in the lawn in the fall.

help the fox, kill the cat and let him eat it.

I saw a fox in the woods behind my house at dusk yesterday. I was surprised by the color which was almost an exact match to the leaves and whatnot on the forest floor, and not at all like the red that I've see before. It was pretty small and short-legged so not a coyote.

It could have been 1) a red fox but I was fooled by the low light, or 2) red foxes aren't so red in winter or if sick, or 3) a fox but not a red fox, or 4) not a fox. What's likely?

The red fox goes through a transitional phase before the winter wear its coat will be the color of the leaves and starting to turn gray in its cross-phase. Then, the red fox turns silver/gray in the winter. What you want to look for if you are not sure, is the tip of the tail. The tip of the tail would be white for a red fox in each of these phases. If it were a gray fox, it would have the black tip as in the picture posted above. Hope this helps. Really cool animal, hope you get some more good looks at it.

Here is a pic of a red fox in its cross-phase, look at the tail and train your eye to notice it:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...SOCg&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:21,s:0

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom