Fox News: FBI agent charged in off-duty shooting of man on subway

a couple of things

how would your "average joe/jane" be treated in this same situation?
nowhere did I see a claim the agent felt his life was in danger
does this mean that after I say "no" to a homeless person begging and they come back for a second time, I get to shoot them? Cause we have some pretty aggressive homeless people in Dallas. especially on the DART (same as MBTA but cleaner and MUCH better)

Dude was unarmed using bad words. In general, one cannot use a firearm in self defense against an unarmed aggressor unless there is a significant disparity in size, weight, even training. The FBI agent cannot claim he did not have the unarmed skills to handle this fool without going to gun first. A female agent? Sure. In fact female LEO's shoot more often than male LEO's.
A mere mortal civilian would be facing far more severe charges.
Not sure about FBI, but I did see a plainclothes female U.S. Marshal take off her jacket in federal court. She had a Glock handgun (not sure of caliber) in a right hand draw holster, a spare mag in a carrier, a pair of handcuffs looped over the back of her belt and an ASP expandable baton on her left side. She definitely had a "less lethal" option available to her, right there on her belt.

Defense can introduce the reputation of the "victim" as support for the claim the shooter was under attack, as evidence of "a pertinent trait of character of the victim.” " (this is distinct from the "Rape Shield" doctrine).
QFTMFT. You delivered. [thumbsup]

But it turns out that link is wicked mangled.
I FTFY in the above quote.

I suppose it is also possible that since both were regular subway riders, shooter may have encountered this aggressive panhandler previously?
If remotely possible, the defense won't neglect to claim it.
OTOH, if the agent remembered enough about the panhandler
to help justify going kinetic,
don't you wish he remembered it soon enough
to start thinking about how to defuse the situation?

I just flashed on one of Howie's down-home observations,
and realized that this agent may be the kind of "LEO"
who's never so much as written a parking ticket.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but sitting around an FBI building all day long,
conspiring to jack up Trump voters as white supremacists
does not build street smarts.

(Bet the panhandler wishes he'd retreated).

If we still arrested bums for vagrancy this never would have happened.
Gotta be some places in America where bums still get the bum's rush.

The indictment names the man who was shot and also a second man, who it identifies as the victim of the reckless endangerment charge.​
sounds like the agent didn't give a f*** about what was beyond his target
Whoa, that little nuance went straight over my head.
[shocked]
Guess he shouldn't have used an .88 magnum (shoots through panhandlers).

it's not clear what the threat was?
It'll come out in court, there's video from the train car, and also a 911 call from another passenger:
FoxNews said:
In a 911 call released in January, a witness said the agent had warned the man to back away, but the man ignored the command and instead prepared to fight him, the Washington Post reported. "The FBI agent said: ‘Move away. I’m an FBI agent. Back away,’" the 911 caller said. "The other gentleman didn’t, dropped his bag, approached him to fight him." The caller said the FBI agent was attacked by the other passenger but did not describe how.

The FBI office geek was too cowardly to man up and use his fists. Really? A panhandler? Should have tossed a couple of bucks and told him to get an extra-large coffee. He wanted to exhibit his inner Rambo and permanently injury the guy with gunfire. Hope he gets fired and goes to jail! I am sure his fellow inmates will take very good care of him!
To his bloated ego

Back
Top Bottom