Four Seasons Reloading Supplies

I spoke to Carl at Four Seasons a few days ago about stocking reloading supplies. He said he would consider it if there is enough customer interest. So, if you're interested, be sure to mention it to him.

I would love to be able to get more supplies from them as they are just a quick drive from my office. I will speak up next time I go in.

He seemed receptive to the idea. Given the current economics and the very high price of ammunition, he might sell quite a bit of reloading supplies. I don’t think it would cut into his regular ammo sales as reloaders are looking for supplies, not loaded ammo.

IIRC Carl's has had problems with the permits for powder in the past.
Either his landlord or the fire dept were not thrilled with the idea.

I have seen dealer pricing on reloading supplies (real dealer pricing, not just the pricing available to non-FFLs). The price that an individual with an out of state UPS drop can get on powder and primers is just about the same as what a stocking dealer pays, as long as you order enough in a batch to amortize the hazmat fee across a big order.

A stocking dealer selling reloading supplies will appeal to the person who buys powder in 1lb bottles and buys primers in boxes of 1000 rather than cases of 5000. I'm not sure how much business a shop would do trying to sell to someone with significant component needs, even with a modest markup.

FS is not the first place I think of when I need reloading supplies. If he were to start
stocking that is where I would get a lot (not all) of my supplies. As it is now anytime
I am going North I go to Riley's due to the fact that there is nobody local to me that
has a half decent selection.

How about some comments here on what people buy, and what they are willing to pay

- What powders? What size containers?

- What primers? Do you purchase in units of 1K or 5K?

- What bullets to you use for reloading?

- Where do you buy now and what do you pay?

How about some comments here on what people buy, and what they are willing to pay

- What powders? What size containers?

- What primers? Do you purchase in units of 1K or 5K?

- What bullets to you use for reloading?

- Where do you buy now and what do you pay?

Powder: 8lb
Primers: 1000
Bullets: TMJ (Rainier or similar) in 230gr 45 Acp, 180gr .40/1mm, 115gr 9mm, 125gr (or just about any weight) in .38 Spcl. Key for me is that the bullet must be entirely jacketed.

I used to mail order, but haven't found anyone to ship to me in a long time and am running low.

Powder: 8lb
Primers: 1000

Let me get this straight - you buy powder in 8# jugs, but get primers a box at a time! [hmmm]

Heck, a 1# bottle of powder would do about 1,400 .45 loads; more of 9mm. Why would you get enough propellant for 12,000 cartridges, yet not buy primers by the case? [rolleyes]

right now i buy 1# of powder at a time and 1000 primers at a time still kinda new new to reloading and trying to find out whats best for me

right now i use 4.4 grains of titegroup for 40S&W 180 grains hornady xtp bullets

and 26.5 grains of varget for a 55 grain .223 hornady bullets

when i find a great price ill buy in bulk

I'd buy bullets (Berrys plated) a few thousand at a time in .45ACP 230gr ball and 9mm 124gr RN providing they are priced fairly compared to where I get them now.[devil]

Powder I usually buy 1-2lbs at a time. Maybe 4lb jugs.

Primers- limited to 5000 I can keep on hand. So 1-3000 at a time.

Brass.... I scrounge enough for the most part. I'll only bother buying Starline if any... likey in .45ACP only... used 9mm is plentiful... at least as of now.

I'd buy 8 pounders if he had them....also primers 5K at a whack.
The 500 count boxes of Sierra Match Kings; 53s, 69s and 77s would fly off his shelves if I had anything to do with it.
I remember when he was in the old shop down the hall, Carl spoke of only being able to have so much powder in stock, per Fire Dept regulations (but we'll not go into that as I care not to speak of the fire marshall in flattering terms).
Too bad he couldn't keep the old shop and use it expressly for everything related to reloading. Theoretically, couldn't he double his powder storage if he maintained two seperate retail concerns?
Actually..........if he opened a shop south of Boston, it would be a dream come true.

Would it help if Four Seasons had a component ordering program (in-shop pickup only) for the larger quantities? There are so many different powders that it's not realistic, or fire code legal, to stock a wide assortment of 8 pounders (or the 12 lb IMR jugs).

My local place (Blue Northern in Ayer - 978-772-6997) will get virtually anything I ask for (powder and primers) by the following Thursday.

While it would certainly seem to be a worthwhile program for FS to implement, it isn't worth the drive for me. With premium pushing $4/gallon and NET just minutes away, I will continue to let Ted provide my powder and primers

Would it help if Four Seasons had a component ordering program (in-shop pickup only) for the larger quantities? There are so many different powders that it's not realistic, or fire code legal, to stock a wide assortment of 8 pounders (or the 12 lb IMR jugs).

This is a superb suggestion. Kudos to you (instead of the dreaded *** points!).

Anyone in the North Reading area can contact Sorensen Associates at 978-664-0588 (phone & fax) or [email protected]

Glenn and his wife run a small reloading supply operation and will allow local pu by appointment or her will take orders to be picked up at many area NH shows and possibly others. I've dealt with many times and he stocks large jugs or powders and bullets. Prices are similar top what you would find at Riley's.

I only use copper jacket, plated, or poly bullets due to the dreaded barrel scrubbing required after shooting plain lead. Add to that, I can't shoot regular lead in my Glocks.

Carl has added some reloading stuff to the shelves. Mostly primers are what I saw that was new. I didn't have time to take a closer look. I'll be in on tax free weekend and update on what else they have. [cheers]

Most stores have limits on what can be physically displayed/stored in that facility. If you go to Kittery, they have all the major brands of powder, but only a little bit on display, with the rest in a separate warehouse.

As for the size, gotta remember that a lot of people that shop at FS and other metro Boston area stores live in multifamily stuctures (apartments, condos, etc) and thus can't buy the 8 pounders.

I get some reloading stuff at FS. You have to ask for the powder they don't put it out in the public area. I just got a 4 pound jug of Red Dot there for $59.

They usally have primers but they sell out real fast. Bullets are the same as the primers a hit or miss deal..

Usally if I want reloading stuff I call in advance and if they don't have every thing I just go to Collectors or Rileys when I'm buying alot.

Back
Top Bottom