Fort Devens Rifle & Pistol Club

I shot in the Cape I think back in 2005? I know they had some ranges there not sure if they still do. I liked Devens ranges though they were fun.
Like I said MANG could have taken over South Post for nothing and if they spent the money to update the range could have turned it into state of the art shooting/weapons qual facility. Of course the incompetent leadership of the Guard blew it, I drive by all the time and drive thru Devens at least once a week. A few Army Reserve Units and a USMC Battalion still occupy the Post or what's left of it. They still have a Military Clothing store and Class VI on post but that's about it.

Like I said MANG could have taken over South Post for nothing and if they spent the money to update the range could have turned it into state of the art shooting/weapons qual facility. Of course the incompetent leadership of the Guard blew it, I drive by all the time and drive thru Devens at least once a week. A few Army Reserve Units and a USMC Battalion still occupy the Post or what's left of it. They still have a Military Clothing store and Class VI on post but that's about it.
The guard should of for sure jumped on Devens.

The guard should of for sure jumped on Devens.
I spent many MUTA 5's and AT's there and once a year Battalion Qual weekend. On Qual weekend I would arrive at Armory around 1700, grab my 5 NCO's for range NCO's, drive two Humvees to range control and sign in and sign out range box for Hotel Range. Proceed to range and bed down for night, get up early, inspect range and call Range control to inspect range and then request HOT and run up red flag and wait for Troops to arrive. Clearing Sunday was a royal PIA because of if range control civilians found one piece of brass or one cigarette butt they wouldn't let you clear. My first time as Range NCO I didn't monitor Joe's in smoking area and didn't check it before calling range control to clear on Sunday afternoon. Range control comes down and see's butts all over smoking area and no go, we spent 30 minutes picking up butts with me yelling at my E-5's for not monitoring Joes :cool:

FYI- there's a "GiveSendGo" now if you'd like to support the FDR&P Club's legal battle for their Civil Rights:

Here is the complaint that explains how they are pursuing their rights under 10USC 7409: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.mad.247256/gov.uscourts.mad.247256.1.0.pdf

"All rifle ranges constructed in whole or in part with funds provided by the United States may be used by members of the armed forces and by persons capable of bearing arms."

"In the case of a rifle range referred to in subsection (a) that is located on a military installation, the Secretary concerned may establish reasonable fees for the use by civilians of that rifle range to cover the material and supply costs incurred by the armed forces to make that rifle range available to civilians."

Here's a video from one of the members - Wicked Cool!!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upRwWKh4Egs

Here's the TTAG article.

After the 9/11 lockdowns, I pointed out that Red River Army Deport was in violation of 10 USC 7409 for shutting off all public access to their ranges. They also severely limited access to public hunting lands, but that had always been a local good-ol-boy access issue.

It's not surprising that multiple employees there have been convicted for corruption over the last 20+ years, mostly over self-dealing invoices.

10 USC 7409 isn't limited to DOD ranges. It says that any range built with or funded by federal money must be open to the public. I worked for a federal agency with two 100 yard bays next to the training center, and it had traditionally been available upon request. All local LE agencies trained there. After 9/11, the department head in charge shut it down to all non-government use. I filed a formal notice that he was in violation of the law, and I was ignored.

I spent many MUTA 5's and AT's there and once a year Battalion Qual weekend. On Qual weekend I would arrive at Armory around 1700, grab my 5 NCO's for range NCO's, drive two Humvees to range control and sign in and sign out range box for Hotel Range. Proceed to range and bed down for night, get up early, inspect range and call Range control to inspect range and then request HOT and run up red flag and wait for Troops to arrive. Clearing Sunday was a royal PIA because of if range control civilians found one piece of brass or one cigarette butt they wouldn't let you clear. My first time as Range NCO I didn't monitor Joe's in smoking area and didn't check it before calling range control to clear on Sunday afternoon. Range control comes down and see's butts all over smoking area and no go, we spent 30 minutes picking up butts with me yelling at my E-5's for not monitoring Joes :cool:
were you sleeping in that shack at hotel range?

10 USC 7409 isn't limited to DOD ranges. It says that any range built with or funded by federal money must be open to the public. I worked for a federal agency with two 100 yard bays next to the training center, and it had traditionally been available upon request. All local LE agencies trained there. After 9/11, the department head in charge shut it down to all non-government use. I filed a formal notice that he was in violation of the law, and I was ignored.
would that cover town law enforcement ranges or just stuff at the federal level?

It would be awesome if they win, MANG is run by idiots/Politicians in Uniform.
The last CSM of the guard (Widberg) was my first sergeant when I was in. He was a nice enough guy and did what he could to shield us from BS.

Of course enlisted guys don’t have much say. It’s all guys that jerk off thinking about the desk in the pentagon they will never have

FYI- there's a "GiveSendGo" now if you'd like to support the FDR&P Club's legal battle for their Civil Rights:

Here is the complaint that explains how they are pursuing their rights under 10USC 7409: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.mad.247256/gov.uscourts.mad.247256.1.0.pdf

"All rifle ranges constructed in whole or in part with funds provided by the United States may be used by members of the armed forces and by persons capable of bearing arms."

"In the case of a rifle range referred to in subsection (a) that is located on a military installation, the Secretary concerned may establish reasonable fees for the use by civilians of that rifle range to cover the material and supply costs incurred by the armed forces to make that rifle range available to civilians."

Here's a video from one of the members - Wicked Cool!!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upRwWKh4Egs

at 41 seconds that's the Harvard MG range [rofl]

Outside, we usually Qualified in November I believe.

Need to delete the Dropkick Murphy's song from the video, Ken Casey just stated at a concert Mega Maga fans were NOT welcome. 🖕
I heard his quote and he typically leans more libertarian. FWIW he wasn't wrong in that the tops of both parties are out for themselves and will screw over whoever they have to as long as their needs get taken care of. He said don't idolize the people at the top that are the ones doing it.

I guess Casey sold McGreevey's, his Boston bar on Boylston St. Used to toss back a few before Sox games years ago. It's now called A.T. O'Keeffe's, I was going to wear my MAGA hat and stop in for a beer and see what happened. :cool:

Just watched Dem Tim Ryan of Ohio, who's being challenged by R JD Vance, wearing a Dropkick Murphy's T-shirt at a campaign rally.
Nuff Said!

What I heard was Ted Kennedy wanted Devens for a new airport for Boston so the Guard was told that it was off limits.

The law:

"(a)Ranges Available.—
All rifle ranges constructed in whole or in part with funds provided by the United States may be used by members of the armed forces and by persons capable of bearing arms."
What is the law? Where specifically can that be found?

Back
Top Bottom