Fort Devens Rifle & Pistol Club

rocket500

NES Member
I know this unicorn exists, anyone have any info as to how to join? Feel free to PM. Interested in stretching out my rifles a bit and I am local.

Found this on the Ft Devens Website.

https://www.devens.army.mil/Devens_Staff/Training/range-FAQ.html

Can I fire my personally owned weapon on Ft. Devens Ranges?
Members of training units will not bring privately owned weapons or ammunition to ranges or training areas. The only firing of privately owned weapons is in conjunction with the Fort Devens Rifle and Pistol Club. This is the only recreational organization currently authorized to schedule and utilize ranges. The club may be contacted at 978-456-3604 for information on membership and scheduled use

100 years ago (I'm exaggerating, but long before my time) they used to host competitions and that sort of thing there but I don't think that kind of thing has happened since the base closed...

-Mike

I checked into that group awhile back when I was working near Devens. Its run by an "older" crowd. Nice enough guys but they are retired....and have to coordinate with devens range control for range time. And since they are retired they shoot late morning on weekdays. So ots a no go for most of us working guys unless you work different shifts.

uh, not sure about wanting to. there are live fire things going on all over the place there.

I checked into that group awhile back when I was working near Devens. Its run by an "older" crowd. Nice enough guys but they are retired....and have to coordinate with devens range control for range time. And since they are retired they shoot late morning on weekdays. So ots a no go for most of us working guys unless you work different shifts.

I'd be willing to take a couple days off a year to shoot at longer ranges. Old, young- doesn't really matter to me.

I'd be willing to take a couple days off a year to shoot at longer ranges. Old, young- doesn't really matter to me.
Then by all means contact them. Just figured I would let you know.....they do not shoot on weekends.....too much going on sat-sun because the national guard ans reserves use the ranges most weekends.

I ran into a shooter at the 100yd range at Harvard in the fall who told me the club was still active. He gave me his name at phone number if I was interested in joining.

So. In 2021 FT Devens started charging a fee for range use. The fee was large and not affordable, essentially putting the FT Devens club out of business. Info on that here.
It seems The Ft Devens rifle club is suing Ft Devens over that fee. Interesting to see what happens here. I dont have any inside info, i just happened to stumble on it.

Ft. Devens Rifle & Pistol Club, Inc. v. U.S. Army Garrison (1:22-cv-11288)​

Last edited:
So. In 2021 FT Devens started charging a fee for range use. The fee was large and not affordable, essentially putting the FT Devens club out of business. Info on that here.
It seems The Ft Devens rifle club is suing Ft Devens over that fee. Interesting to see what happens here. I dont have any inside info, i just happened to stumble on it.

HMMM, Very interesting. I think the club used the KD range which goes out the 1000yds. I almost joined years ago but had funky hours during the day I think.

What was the fee?

Large enough that state agencies stopped going there for mcjtc 6 and 12 month qualifications. They relocated to town pd ranges and private ranges. The fees were multiple hundreds per person per day on the property.
Wow, they were pulling that shit with the police also? wtf are they doing

My understanding is it was free for them under US law. Here is the complaint:

"In November 2020 Fort Devens mailed us the proposed 2021 Range Use License (Contract). For the first time ever Fort Devens refused to waive its range use fees for our Club. They want to charge us $250 per range outing the same way they are charging all the law enforcement agencies using ranges there. The law enforcement agencies can pass those costs onto taxpayers. We can't. Our dues payments for 2020 totaled $1100. (The majority of that is used to cover our insurance policy)

After some prying, by email, the new civilian Deputy to the Commander sent us the attached 19 June 2020 MEMORANDUM from former SECDEF Esper concerning range fee waivers.

The general idea is that the DOD feels it has been subsidizing costs associated with operating ranges being used for civilian/LEO use for too long, and they want to start making sure that usage fees are applied to cover their ACTUAL costs of range operation by non-DOD organizations. This isn't specific to Fort Devens, it applies to ALL DOD facilities.

We do not feel it is unreasonable to be asked to pay for the ACTUAL costs incurred in the spirit of the referenced DOD memo, however, $250 Per Use is more than our membership can reasonably bear. We also find that amount to be arbitrary, and exceedingly unreasonable considering the following....

First, Fort Devens supplies us nothing except a little electricity to run the powered ranges we get once in a while. The powered target carriers on GOLF have been in total disrepair for at least the past 3 years. They do not supply our targets, equipment nor do they supply personnel to control the ranges or provide safety briefings.

Second, our Club, a CMP affiliate, is supposed to be protected by 36 U.S. Code Section 40727-"

Lots of federal agencies get free use of the ranges (or used to) and the FBI had a pistol instructor course they ran out of there. Even had their own range for that.

State Police have concurrent jurisdiction on Devens, so they got free use also. The other town agencies were using it for free and they came from all over the state. Probably became an issue of too many people wanting to use it.

The range area and barracks are literally the only reason the place even exists anymore. The next closest place guard and reserve can shoot off munitions is Fort Drum or Fort Dix. Not feasible for weekend drill.

"The range area and barracks are literally the only reason the place even exists anymore. The next closest place guard and reserve can shoot off munitions is Fort Drum or Fort Dix. Not feasible for weekend drill."

When Ft. Devens closed MANG declined to take over South Post because they wanted to keep Camp Edwards on the Cape which is totally useless. The Marines redid the popup 50m to 300m qualification range which the Guard declined to fund. We had to M16 qual on Xray which was paper targets and I used to run Hotel Range for M249/M60/M240B for the 104th and 181 INF during 2000's. Range control was a PIA back then so I'm surprised they still have full timers there. Haven't been to South Post since 2009 I believe and yes next closest qual range is either FT. Drum or Dix. We used to travel to Camp Ethan Allen for training but never shot there.

Lots of federal agencies get free use of the ranges (or used to) and the FBI had a pistol instructor course they ran out of there. Even had their own range for that.

State Police have concurrent jurisdiction on Devens, so they got free use also. The other town agencies were using it for free and they came from all over the state. Probably became an issue of too many people wanting to use it.

The range area and barracks are literally the only reason the place even exists anymore. The next closest place guard and reserve can shoot off munitions is Fort Drum or Fort Dix. Not feasible for weekend drill.
I shot in the Cape I think back in 2005? I know they had some ranges there not sure if they still do. I liked Devens ranges though they were fun.

I shot in the Cape I think back in 2005? I know they had some ranges there not sure if they still do. I liked Devens ranges though they were fun.
I remember shooting at Edwards around then Also. Didn’t they make us use some kind of gay, eco friendly ammo? I remember the coast guard had an indoor range we used also.

Yes, tungsten nylon 5.56x45mm [rofl]
Interesting...

They charge Federal agencies for the use of the range. At least they did as of 2 years ago

Back
Top Bottom