For those planning to go to theBig E...

Went to see Blue Man Group out at the Charles Theater and wanted to bring my ccw because the neighborhood sucks. I'm glad I didnt because they had a wand and did a search, but I've since wondered what would happen if such an instance popped up.

You are not breaking the law. They will ask you to leave.
In Boston they might also pee themselves and call the cops.

What was it that Jeff Foxworthy said about County Fairs? Something like "If you want to feel good about your family, go to a county fair. You'll come out of there saying YOU KNOW WHAT, WE'RE ALRIGHT!"

Not a big fair fan in the last several years. Even Topsfield is getting mega-small.

Back in the day it was a nice place to go. We'd hit the Barnstable Fair every year. Now that one is half the time it used to be, and only runs half-days besides. And it's best to get out before dark and the 13yo prostitutes show up.

We went this year - and left in an hour. It wasn't worth it. Just small, not great food, and getting smaller. :(

Worst fair I went to was the Marshfield Fair. Skeeved me out. Noontime on a weekday and the metric butt-ton of 13yo prostitutes was amazing. WTF?!?!? And the whole fair seemed like it could have fit in my backyard. We were in and out in about 90 minutes.

Went there about 15 or 20 years ago with the wifey... DO NOT go on senior citizen day!! Mean old farts were like some Chicongo gangs! Pretty much had the run of the place, cops and security were afraid of them too!
Pushin' thru the lines, wheeled ones rolling over anybody that was under 60 or so, saw more than a couple dukin' it out over who was more decrepit or cripple...sad day.....

Picture in your mind.....Walmart with fried dough vendors every aisle... and beer that you can drink inside the store.

A lot of good beer vendors this year. Opa Opa as always was great. Kept going back to the down south food tent for cocktails. Prices were better then say a ball game or concert but still expensive $6 for a 24oz beer $12 for a well made cocktail. Had fun. The food is always great and is the reason I go every fall.

After hearing how bad the "Big E" sticks it to their vendors as well as the general public I wont go near that place ever again. Last straw was buying admission tickets online to avoid having to do it at the gate and getting hit with a "convenience fee" that took the price well beyond the gate price they can suck a$$.

Went today no metal detectors I had no problem they were taking a quick look in bags and pocketbooks kind of quick. I guess they don't want you to carry in a bag.

Went yesterday, spent millions.
They checked our backpack.
Many signs everywhere "no weapons of any kind", so there is no way to plead ignorance.

Find the Meat Pie from the Burgundy Brook Cafe, in one of the two big exhibition buildings, you can thank me later.

Saw a horse riding / six gun shooting competition in the arena.
Riders had to shoot a series of balloons with 45 cal, black powder, specially made cartridges.
Grab second gun, shoot second set of balloons coming back, single action.
Looked easy, was probably really friggen hard.
How do you steer a horse and hold a revolver?
45 in an arena even from over 50 away is friggen loud

Hours later we were on the kiddie rides, my spidey senses popped up.
I was like "why do I hear a whole bunch of gunshots in the distance?"
Then I was like "oh, they're doing their second show in the arena"

Last edited:
My naïve take on the Big E. Have lived in MA for 20 years have gone to the Big E 2 times. The first time was 3 years ago when the kiddos were at ZooMass Amherst. Went with a bunch of their friends, it was kind of fun, but like herding cats. Second time was last year with daughters and boyfriends. The main reasons were to get the sham-wows that should last a lifetime and to see Kansas. The concert was pretty, darn good.
OH and to get a taste of that CrazeE Burger (Cheeseburger on a glazed doughnut!) A taste of Irish a couple beers.
The crowds were “mélange normale”. Entitled low-life with brat children running amuck mixed with just plain ole normal people. The livestock pavilions were rows and rows of empty cages and pens . . . Kiinda sad. Saw a good Border Collie demo herding geese. I think perusing the schedule and picking your “best day” would make for a better experience. Unless there is some Big change at the Big E, I doubt I will return.

Back
Top Bottom