For those planning to go to theBig E...

If you're a family man, it's a good time. Just bring your wallet, only $15 to get in, but the ride pass is another $25.

We go every year, yes, a lot of the stuff is the same, but there's always new vendors, new fried something to eat. Last year I challenged my daughter to eat Frigo's 1 pound meatball, that was fun.

Lock your gun in your vehicle safe, take the mag out, good to go.

If you ever see the clientele from Springfield there, you'll understand why they are checking for firearms. We, the licensed, are not the concern. That being said, it is about a 1/3 mix of sketchy people and pregnant teenage couples, and 2/3 wholesome families. My wife and I usually make it out. Good place to get a syrup sampler from the VT house, Maine baked potato, enough fried goodness to make you vomit a bunch, and the wife likes the horse exhibitions. Cool to see the clydesdales up close. Weird to see such huge friendly animals.

Didn't some poor woman from NH lose her pocketbook that happens to have her carry gun in it?

I'm sure she's a felon by now. But perhaps this is why.

And no, the big E sucks. And has sucked for at least 25 years. Probably longer.

Yes this did happen. She lost her purse with her gun still in it.

I would also advise: DO NOT go on a weekend. total clusterf^&*. Go on a weekday and get there when they open. After 5pm or sometime is when they have reduced ticket amounts, you should see the sludge that piles in after that time. Yea, I wish I could carry too.

We, the licensed, are not the concern.
Nobody every seems to have the brains of LTC => walk around detector. Works for the TX statehouse. In fact, some people with regular business there get a TX LTC even though they do not own a gun for this reason.

Never been but I was thinking of going next weekend. Don't care about the rides, I purely want to go to get some fun food and craft beer.
Thing that's holding me back though is the sh%t crowds...I hate them...but really want to check out the food...I'm torn.

Never been but I was thinking of going next weekend. Don't care about the rides, I purely want to go to get some fun food and craft beer.
Thing that's holding me back though is the sh%t crowds...I hate them...but really want to check out the food...I'm torn.

Mr. E simply must attend the Big E.

It's Destiny.

If you're a family man, it's a good time. Just bring your wallet, only $15 to get in, but the ride pass is another $25.

We go every year, yes, a lot of the stuff is the same, but there's always new vendors, new fried something to eat. Last year I challenged my daughter to eat Frigo's 1 pound meatball, that was fun.

Lock your gun in your vehicle safe, take the mag out, good to go.

I would also advise: DO NOT go on a weekend. total clusterf^&*. Go on a weekday and get there when they open. After 5pm or sometime is when they have reduced ticket amounts, you should see the sludge that piles in after that time. Yea, I wish I could carry too.
Good advice times 2. [grin]

I get it that most folks here would probably rather have a root canal done than attend the Big E. And yes, it has gotten more and more commercial and crappy and over-crowded and cheapened down from it's original "Eastern States Exposition" roots with every passing year. I laughed out loud at TurtleBoy's blog as it hit the nail on the head more times than I could count. And yes, it has deteriorated just as greater Springfield area itself has deteriorated. That's a sad, undeniable fact.

Still, some of us must return each September. Those rare years when I can't make it there, it ruins my whole fall season. Strange but true.

I'm not going to give up all my secrets about how I make it work for me... i.e., how I make it a fine, interesting, relatively inexpensive and totally tolerable event. PaulR has already given you some good clues. Absolutely do not go on a weekend. Go on a weekday for sure. Also plan your day based on what's going on that day. Don't just choose randomly. Know how to get in and out of there without a hassle. Know where to park for free or cheap... safely and securely. Buy your tix in advance to save some money. Yes, it takes some pre-planning and effort.

For some folks it will never work regardless. Like I said... I get that. Don't let me change your mind if you're in that category. For others, it's not such a bad time. For folks like me, it's a must every September. [cheers]

With no semiautos what do you think the next ma gun show will look like?
A bunch of junk, damaged preban lowers with a $1200+ price tag that are the absolute least desireable receiver you can imagine, piles of overpriced postban mags.....parts venders with autosears and drilling jigs.
And a pile of arsenal AKs with thier flash supressors unpinned.........pretty much the same as every year.

As far as the big e they should just make it $100 to get in, i wont have wait an hour for the bathroom and will only have to use half the roll of TP to make a nest to avoid herpies.i wish the big E would die, but for some reason poor people like to waiste money they dont have...suprize

Avoid Monday the 26th. It is Springfield day. I always avoid this day

They give out free passes to the schools and the crowds tend to be a bit sketchy.

People, sadly, don't know what the constitution is and whom is restricted by it. They think Derek's violating their 1A when they post obscenities and get smacked down.

Ding ding ding!

If you come in to my house, and I tell you you cannot carry, I'm. It infringing on anyone's rights, plain and simple. That being said, when it comes to my house, you aren't allowed in if you don't have a primary and a backup firearm, you know, so show and tell can last longer than five minutes lol

A bunch of junk, damaged preban lowers with a $1200+ price tag that are the absolute least desireable receiver you can imagine, piles of overpriced postban mags.....parts venders with autosears and drilling jigs.
And a pile of arsenal AKs with thier flash supressors unpinned.........pretty much the same as every year.

As far as the big e they should just make it $100 to get in, i wont have wait an hour for the bathroom and will only have to use half the roll of TP to make a nest to avoid herpies.i wish the big E would die, but for some reason poor people like to waiste money they dont have...suprize

I bet there are a couple vendors there selling ARs for a hefty price. A few always have nothing to lose or they may be from out of state.

I hate to blow the place up, but the only difference between that show and the big e are at the show most people are on the same page.

They're really no deals to be had, an not much interesting to look at these days and after parking/admission it just kind of a downer not to drive to a better show...i like grabbing small parts from the bin and grab ammo but i just get the neccesties when walmart or the LGS is out..
Unless your going for the experience your better off shopping online.

The misses went tonight with friends. No search, no metal detectors. Seems they won't be enforcing their "dress code"

Good to know. I only posted because of the huge banner sign across the road about metal dectors being in use. I wonder if it is just for a deterrent to the lowlife crowd...

For what it's worth, I'd be just as pissed to get flagged for my EDC pocket knife as I would for my gat! Just as an FYI, in past years they always had a sign at the entrance with a picture of a handgun with the circle around it, and line drawn through it, but there was no wanding or dectors. I was concerned they upped their game. I did carry when I went last year (had to go only because daughter was in a parade, otherwise wouldn't have gone).

Big E was fun. They checked bags with a stick. All went well. Get a turkey leg if you go and the pulled pork and baked beans is top notch

Not really my thing anyway, but I definitely won't be going this year. There is a big banner across the road near one of the entrances that had a huge "No Weapons" and "metal detectors in use" section on it. They always have no weapons signs near the entrances, but this the first time I've seen it so boldly advertised, AND mentioning metal detectors. WTF?[rolleyes]

I'll try to remind y'all next year (August) to go to the Cummington Fair instead.

No such "no weapons" signs, a slice of old-time Americana with country music, overpriced fried-dough, oxen pulls, demo derby, square dancing, etc. Plenty of parking. You'll see more people wearing pro-2A shirts and carrying than at an NES gathering.

I'll try to remind y'all next year (August) to go to the Cummington Fair instead.

No such "no weapons" signs, a slice of old-time Americana with country music, overpriced fried-dough, oxen pulls, demo derby, square dancing, etc. Plenty of parking. You'll see more people wearing pro-2A shirts and carrying than at an NES gathering.

the BEST local fair by far! I haven't been a few years but it was always my favorite. Used to take a few trips back to the car to fill up my jack and coke mug :)

Back
Top Bottom