• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

For those of you who left the Northeast...

late08

NES Member
I know there are a few folks that have left the Northeast over the years to the south or west. What did you do with your guns? Did you just FOPA? FFL to FFL? I have heard of some folks just selling everything (if its not rare/unobtainable again) and just buying all new guns when they settled in their new home.

Curious as to what the move was like.

We rented a 26 foot uhaul which we drove across country. Guns were in the back towards the end closest to the cab. If someone wanted to go to the trouble of getting to them, they deserved to have them. If I would have been pulled over and questioned, the answer would have been, no guns. For the same reason as I already stated.

People worry too much about this stuff. Pack it up, leave and enjoy a much better life.

We rented a 26 foot uhaul which we drove across country. Guns were in the back towards the end closest to the cab. If someone wanted to go to the trouble of getting to them, they deserved to have them. If I would have been pulled over and questioned, the answer would have been, no guns. For the same reason as I already stated.

People worry too much about this stuff. Pack it up, leave and enjoy a much better life.
Just don't stay over night in places where possession is illegal if you are concerned. Very few states actually care once you break out of New England.

When leaving New England take 84 through NY as the fastest way to get through the one problem state, NY. Never go to NJ or DC. Avoid MD (81 has like 20 miles in MD). Beyond that you have to work hard to find a place where possession of your guns locked away is unlawful independent of FOPA. FOPA covers driving through. Most states (unlike MA) allow possession w/o permission.

Ive driven from TX to MA. I carried almost the entire way with only MD, NY and CT being issues at the time. Possession was good everywhere I drove except handguns in NY required FOPA. MD and CT are similar in that you need a permit to purchase but nothing to possess for example.

The further you get from MA, hopefully the lower your BP gets...

I know there are a few folks that have left the Northeast over the years to the south or west. What did you do with your guns? Did you just FOPA? FFL to FFL? I have heard of some folks just selling everything (if its not rare/unobtainable again) and just buying all new guns when they settled in their new home.

Just take them with you if they’re legal in the state you’re headed to. Selling them and buying them again is lunacy.

I left 8 years ago, I'm full time on the road, kept it all, it's all under my pillow, I only get nervous when I go back northeast which is as little as possible. Spend most my days enjoying life, not stressing about stupid stuff. When I travel I sometimes put a blanket over some stuff but that's about it.
20240323_182941.jpg

I took them with me.
IMG_0506.jpeg

my son & I drove to Colorado last year, he moved there. One pistol, came with us, in a lock box in the SUV. stopped 3 nights, it came into the hotel with us each night

Some "forbidden" handguns are worth more in MA than in the free states. If I were to ever move to a free state, I'd try to sell anything worth more here that I can readily duplicate brand new for less money elsewhere. I am hoping someone in MA with a Chiappa Rhino does that someday. [laugh]

I sold stuff that was worth more in MA than where I moved to - mostly easily replaceable Glocks, WASR's, AR lowers etc.

Everything else was packed in the car and we drove down in one shot. About 14 hours to NC. Anytime we made a stop someone waited in or by the car.

I did have some accessories (uppers, barrels, etc) and such in my POD - which had an airtag in it so I knew where it was at all times.

Brought most of them with me. Packed in a uhaul behind my truck along with my bike.

I had a camper in CT. Left 20 or so guns in a storage unit there to use each summer when i was up there.

Sold the camper last May, emptied the storage unit. Sold a couple that were dupes to a friend that wanted them. Packed the rest in the back of the truck and drove them down here.

I think I have more smith and Wesson’s. Most of them have no boxes. No one saved the boxes in the old days.
It is a toss up for me. model 59 and all its newer variants start to add up. But so do P228/P229s.

The red boxes spoke to me, though. Every once in a while we get some through distribution and I grab what I can. Way too good a deal and so often you cannot tell them from new. AND you never know what extras will show up in the box.

It is a toss up for me. model 59 and all its newer variants start to add up. But so do P228/P229s.

The red boxes spoke to me, though. Every once in a while we get some through distribution and I grab what I can. Way too good a deal and so often you cannot tell them from new. AND you never know what extras will show up in the box.
What I bought all those guns for, you’ll never see those prices again. When I started at sig, there were only 600 people. I have 7 229s. 2 of them are legions. I didn’t pay anymore than $400 for any of them. 2 I know I paid about $240. I also picked up 5 guns and about 5000 rounds of ammo from a coworker. I sold 4 guns for what I paid for all of it. IMG_0324.jpeg

NOt knowing the law when i was 25 i drove from OC, CA to MA with an Arisaka in my trunk. Sitting right on top. Spent 11 days going thru miltiple cities. Ignorance is bliss.
Hit Chicago, Philly, and NYC.
SpeedIng the whole way too.

Same. After I got out of the army, I happily threw them into the bed of my Ranger and drove from NC to CA, then up to MA, then tossed them in a closet of my grad-school dorm room because it never occurred to me that any state would have anything as stupid as a license for possession, let alone storage laws.

By the time I realized MA had licensure (this was WELL outside the statute of limitations, Maura), I had left the grace period in the dust and moved two more times in-state. Ignorance is, indeed, bliss.

Then I went ahead and got legal, mostly so that I could buy and sell. And because the club I wanted to join required it.

Most people just put their shit in the car uhaul or whatever, cover it up and drive it. [rofl] There's no rocket science here.

PreBan is the exception to this rule
The premium for a 30 year old gun sold here will usually buy a better specimen brand new in a free state
It's not worth the transactional cost. Unless your gun is like one of those "preban but actually a piece of shit" guns that you want to get rid of like an essential arms lower or something. For most people dumping the two or three pre-bans is not going to be life-changing money and not worth the amount of time you waste trying to do it. If I hada few mass gun buddies I might call them up first but if they ain't interested they're going to get tossed into the truck car whatever with everything else. And even at that point I would be selling it to them at what the actual value is not the retard inflated mass retail value

I don't understand the weird skinflint obsession with selling off your mass stuff before you leave... just take the guns and enjoy them instead of continuing to worry about the garbage in the state. Then again there's another side of me that says if you have some gun that's basically f***ed up because of mass and you actually ate that concession then yeah I might be inclined to get rid of it but like just um neuter the damn thing and move on with life. 🤣

I don't understand the weird skinflint obsession with selling off your mass stuff before you leave... just take the guns and enjoy them instead of continuing to worry about the garbage in the state. Then again there's another side of me that says if you have some gun that's basically f***ed up because of mass and you actually ate that concession then yeah I might be inclined to get rid of it but like just um neuter the damn thing and move on with life. 🤣

I owned a hunk of junk that I bought in MA for a few hundred and now they sell for well north of a grand in MA. I wish I sold it both to make money and so that some other poor soul can own what is becoming harder and harder to find there.

This.

Lock the back door with a good lock and when overnighting back up against something like a light post or wall so it is physically impossible to open the door whenever possible.

Back
Top Bottom