• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

For all those who are considering a revolver

Paul Harrell did the same thing this past week as well. He’s much easier to listen to than MAC. But yes, 9mm in a snubbie is a good bet.

My two cents:
9mm performs great out of a snubnose but they have problems with crimp jump. The .357 doesn't get up to the velocities it needs to match its reputation when shot out of a 2" barrel. Personally, I'm fine with .38 in my LCR, no regrets.

Paul Harrell did the same thing this past week as well. He’s much easier to listen to than MAC. But yes, 9mm in a snubbie is a good bet.
Paul Harrell is also a Fudd, while MAC is hardcore pro-2A.

so for tiny guns you get more bang for your buck out of a 9mm plus P than. .38 or a .357 magnum....

good to know...

I carry 38 +P JHP rounds in my J frame and I have no doubt it will put down any two legged scumbag I come across. I don't feel undergunned with this setup and it's controllable enough to get off a good second shot and more if needed. Shooting full load 357s out of a small J frame airweight just hurts like hell, will split the web between thumb and index finger and follow up shots will take a lot longer.

My two cents:
9mm performs great out of a snubnose but they have problems with crimp jump. The .357 doesn't get up to the velocities it needs to match its reputation when shot out of a 2" barrel. Personally, I'm fine with .38 in my LCR, no regrets.

Paul Harrell is also a Fudd, while MAC is hardcore pro-2A.

Can’t disagree, Paul is just easier to listen to, in a kind of put you to sleep way.

Paul addressed the crimp jump, left one round in the cylinder, fired the other 4, 3 times. It jumped, from what he said, about 1mm the second time around and didn’t move after the third. It moved, but not enough to matter and in unlikely circumstances.

Rockrivr1, no doubt about it-the .38 standard would do everything that needs to be done for civilian use, the .38 +p is capable of much more. Its just that -we- are convinced that the best caliber for the snub is the 9mm +p, for civilian use the snub 9 is perfect.

Jump crimp, again for civilian use (very short range, very very few rounds fired-if any at all and its all over in just a few seconds) this phenomena, if you can duplicate it, is the biggest non issue in the cc world.

Carry what you wish but know that a 9 snub is all we need-and if you train with +p, the snub is all you should use.

I carry 38 +P JHP rounds in my J frame and I have no doubt it will put down any two legged scumbag I come across. I don't feel undergunned with this setup and it's controllable enough to get off a good second shot and more if needed. Shooting full load 357s out of a small J frame airweight just hurts like hell, will split the web between thumb and index finger and follow up shots will take a lot longer.
Follow ups using 357 mag in a snub....yes take longer. Hurt like hell.....maybe some but not me. Splitting the web of my hand......I'm gonna say no.

Follow ups using 357 mag in a snub....yes take longer. Hurt like hell.....maybe some but not me. Splitting the web of my hand......I'm gonna say no.

If you have an all steel J frame I'd agree with you. If you have an aluminum Airweight J frame, you're in for some fun. I've actually split the web on mine running a full load 158gr 357 mag through it. Never going to do that again.

I really like the capability of 9MM rounds compared to the ammo of the same caliber made 20-30 years ago.

However I am not ever gonna stop liking and owning revolvers. Love my S&W 66-8 2.75"

Also I'd say even outta a short barrel like this if I "chose" to use .357 magnum hard cast bullets.

The penetration and damage would surpass most quality 9mm rounds.

66-8a.JPG

Had two sp101's a .357 and the recently reintroduced 9mm and I will agree that using the magnum is near a pleasant experience, the 9mm is a pure joy -once you manage to pull the trigger all the way back which the Mrs. was not able to do so it went back with less than 10 rounds - the LCR 9 is really the only choice, just enough weight and the trigger is night and day different than the sp in a good way.

Ruger cast handguns are just way way too heavy for cc, unless of course one gets a good set of suspenders; it really is the only way to keep your trousers up...

Perhaps Smith will wake up and re introduce the 940.

Last edited:
Had two sp101's a .357 and the recently reintroduced 9mm and I will agree that using the magnum is near a pleasant experience, the 9mm is a pure joy -once you manage to pull the trigger all the way back which the Mrs. was not able to do so it went back with less than 10 rounds - the LCR 9 is really the only choice, just enough weight and the trigger is night and day different than the sp in a good way.

Ruger cast handguns are just way way too heavy for cc, unless of course one gets a good set of suspenders; it really is the only way to keep your trousers up...

Perhaps Smith will wake up and re introduce the 940.

I would love to see them re-introduce the 940 (but add a Pro Series Model, such as they did with the 640)

940.JPG Side-by-Side.jpg

The only reason 9mm beats .38 Special is because 9mm was designed to run at higher pressures and the guns to shoot it are likewise designed for this. It's the same caliber, so with the same weight projectile a larger case capacity running equal pressures (with enough barrel to take advantage) is going to generate more velocity and energy. 9mm beats .38 because of pressure limitations on the .38. Either cartridge makes for good pocket carry.

fritz, those lab scenes from the '60's were neat, bet if 'Manny' put both his guns on the same side he would fall over.

Mountain, agreed but one cost about 1/2 the cost of the other

No argument there. FWIW, I sold my .357 LCR in favor of pocket carry with a Glock 43. I'm not a 9mm koolaid drinker like many on NES, but it does make the most sense for the widest variety of self defense applications.

the heavy ruger trigger pull is easily fixed with a DIY wolff spring install job. requires no actual gunsmithign just swapping the hammer and trigger return springs. it's really abnoxious the types of springs ruger puts in these guns from the factory. unnecessarily heavy. my mom couldn't use DA on her SP101 until I swapped in the wolff hammer spring and IIRC the 9 or 10# return spring. it brought the pull weight down to around 8.5 lbs in DA with less stacking. i put well over 200 rds of various ammo and never had a light strike with those springs. i made the same swaps in my G100 and its the only reason I've kept that revolver - otherwise it would be long gone.

Keep in mind that without weight/size, your 9mm revolver runs a fairly high risk of bullet jump. You'll want to use something with a HEAVY crimp.
I've seen videos to the contrary.

Paul Harrell just did one where he kept using the same carteridge over and over through multiple cylinders. He always loaded that carteridge in the last cylinder and didn't fire it. Load it again as the last and not fire it..... Rinse and repeat. He got it t to come out 1mm and it never jammed the gun

I've seen videos to the contrary.

Paul Harrell just did one where he kept using the same carteridge over and over through multiple cylinders. He always loaded that carteridge in the last cylinder and didn't fire it. Load it again as the last and not fire it..... Rinse and repeat. He got it t to come out 1mm and it never jammed the gun

Cool, what was the firearm and what brand was the ammunition?

Plenty of people have experienced this first hand; it's such a common thing that SAAMI and individual ammo manufacturers make statements about it.

Generally .38spl and .357mag are roll crimped, and 9mm is taper crimped. If it weren't for headspacing off the case mouth in (many/most) semi autos I'm not sure why any pistol ammo would be taper crimped, other than speed. It's possible to roll crimp your own 9mm of course.

The lighter the firearm the higher the risk. I didn't say "don't buy one" just be careful picking your ammunition.

Back
Top Bottom