• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Folding Stock AR-15 Options for AWB States

I found it interesting to see that there are some interesting new options that are particularly appealing to those of us living in assault weapon ban states. The company ZM weapons invented a gas piston upper for the AR-15 with a shortened bolt that allows the use of a folding stock. Apparently, they are licensing the production rights to Para USA to produce these things "later this year" (I think they are running out of time on that one...) Para says they are going to sell a "kit" (upper + folding stock). You should be able to pop this on your pre-ban AR-15 lower and convert it to something resembling an overpriced Sig 556 for us ban-staters.

Fair warning, you are going to need to sell your first born, an arm and a leg or win the lottery to afford these puppies (especially considering you got to add the price of the pre-ban lower). All in all, figure $750 + 1750 = $2500! [crying]

http://www.zmweapons.com/lr_kits.htm
http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_rifle_large.php?id=1
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as97-e.htm

z-m_para_ttr_2.jpg

Just why would a folding stock be helpful to AWB states? In Mass any shortening of the overall length of the firearm is an evil feature, folding/collapsible same thing only different. The ZM products good stuff, I've shot most of Als' stuff and it always ran perfect.

wondering if the shortend bolt and folding stock would work with Lmt, lwrc or pof piston uppers. Have piston upgrade on order for my mrp

No, not the way they are now. You would have to attach the op-rod to the bolt and have it extend to the gas block. Then put the recoil spring around it.

The Para/ZM isn't piston driven. However, you see people selling them and in the descriptions 99% of the time referring to them as piston driven like POF and LMT. I think that is funny. If you spend a couple grand on such a rifle, you'd think you would know more about what makes them different.

I'd like to get one. Al's stuff is great.

Just why would a folding stock be helpful to AWB states? In Mass any shortening of the overall length of the firearm is an evil feature, folding/collapsible same thing only different. The ZM products good stuff, I've shot most of Als' stuff and it always ran perfect.

100% incorrect.

Or as they say in Beantown:

"That's wicked wrong dood..."

100% incorrect.

Or as they say in Beantown:

"That's wicked wrong dood..."

I think you're taking tcat out of context. He's talking about the whole new Para rifle with either a collapsible or folding stock being the same, and therefore unavailable to us. I asked myself the same thing he did about the first sentence of the original post until I understood it to be about the Para upper kit being an option of those in AWB states that have a pre-ban lower and want a folding stock.

Does that make sense?

tcat knows his stuff and has all the toys we all dream about.

Last edited:
Thanx GTO, you're on it. I was referring to the new Para not being available to Mass residents. I post few replies on this forum due to the apparent know-it -alls that live to try and chastise there fellow gun enthusiasts

wondering if the shortend bolt and folding stock would work with Lmt, lwrc or pof piston uppers. Have piston upgrade on order for my mrp

Unfortunately not. The reason it works on the ZM design (now Para) is because the main spring was relocated over the barrel. A standard gas or piston gun still has a spring in the stock so it can't fold

BTW, I really don't get why this is for 'AWB States'. Seems like it's suited for anyone willing to switch to the ZM-style bolt group.

BTW, I really don't get why this is for 'AWB States'. Seems like it's suited for anyone willing to switch to the ZM-style bolt group.

Well, I'm just saying it has extra appeal to people in AWBland. In AWB states, we are pretty much stuck with the AR platform or other pre-1994 platforms that were in common use at the time. The Sig 556 / FN SCAR / Bushmaster ACR or other new rifles are a no-go unless you want a crippled version. This is a way to get an uncrippled folding stock EBR type thing.

Back
Top Bottom