• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FNAR Update/First Impression

Ok, the gun showed up today. 5 minutes to fill out paperwork and took possession.

Got home and decided to tear it down and get rid of the packing grease. For the record, this is not what I'd consider a 'battle rifle' in any sense. FN considers it a semi auto precision rifle. There are several screws and allen bolts you have to remove to break it down. Not something I'd like to do in the field. After reading the manual, I still couldn't get the darn thing apart. There must be something blocking the spring guide rod from sliding further back and allowing it to disassemble. I'll play with it again later. Maybe see if there is a FN fansite with a better write up on field stripping the gun.

It's the heavy barrel, and it is heavy. Feels pretty solid compared to an AR, similiar to the M1A. There's an 1/8 inch gap between the forestock and the reciever that might be problematic in less ideal conditions. It comes with adjustable stock cheekpieces and pads for the butt, will be cool to fiddle with the different inserts and mold the gun to 'me'.

I have to get a scope on it and shoot it once the friggin rain quits.

Anyway, that is all, move along, nothing to see here.

very nice...don't forget to let us know how it shoots

I'm going to compare and contrast with the M1A as soon as it stops raining. Going to buy matching cheap scopes for now so I can zero them and not deal with switching scopes. I'm hoping at 100 yards mediocore glass won't be that big a deal. Will buy a nice scope with quick disconnects later on. I could switch the Aimpoint over from the AR, but the hassle of zeroing the gun again is more than my ADHD can bear.

If I believe the FN literature, it's supposed to be a sub MOA guaranteed. So it should shoot better than I can fire it for the time being. I do have some decent federal .308 to feed it (for 100 yds anyway).

Back
Top Bottom