FN FS2000 Tactical - - Troy Ind. BUIS Full Sized or Micro?

Hello , I want to put some better sights (BUIS) on my FN FS2000. I'm torn between the TROY full sized BUIS or the Micro model. What do you all think?
Also I plan to get an optic.
I'd like to have an optic that will co-witness, looking at a Trijicon reflex {the military 4.3 model}, a Aimpoint H-1, or even the cheaper Vortex SPARC.

Hell, the SPARC doesn't look like a bad optic. It's gotten good reviews, & is 2 MOA not 4 like the Aimpoint H-1. I could get the Vortex SPARC (with mount, 2X magnifier, killflash, & back up battery holder) and some TROY Industries BUIS all for around $500. I may just say hell with it and go with the cheapest Aimpoint (a full sized model).

I keep thinking get a sight / optic package that will co-wittness and a good sling for the FS2000, make a good rifle better. I'm already running the FN forward tri- rail with a TROY stubby vertical grip.
Thanks,
smitty

I've got some insight on this. I don't have a BUIS yet, so cowitnessing and whatnot would be better researched here:

http://fnforum.net/buis-and-the-fs2000-t15782.html This thread is about the YHM BUIS and how they fit, and how the guy installed them.

http://fnforum.net/magpul-eotech-xps2-2-3x-aimpoint-rail-fit-t18395.html

the magpul sights cowitness perfectly with an eotech, according to that user. He had to modify the front one to fit over the stock sling ring, but a dremel works well for that. It'd be a lot more involved for a Troy which is made of aluminum (or some kind of metal). That is if you want to have some sort of optic + magnifier, which is what I think you're looking at with the vortex.

I was thinking about picking up a troy stubby vertical grip.... my full size grip is a pain in the rear when it comes to bench resting, etc. It almost sticks lower than a full 30 round mag. Here's some pictures of what I'm running. I have 4.5" of free rail space (if I was to take off the stock front sight). I was thinking about going with the magpul BUS due to the nature of them being light, and because they are pretty f'n cheap. I'm also running a Urban-E.R.T. sling since they're one of the only games in town when it comes to the FS2K. And I couldn't be happier with it. It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't expensive, and their customer service is great. Made in teh USA and the guy that runs the business is a class act as far as shipping goes and as far as educating you on how the heck to install it. They sell 2 point slings that utilize the front sling ring, too, unlike my single point. I think mine came with an adapter but I didn't see much of a need for it when I tried it out.

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

and as far as their Micro or full-sized versions, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'd just go with the BUIS that takes the least amount of rail space. It'll give you more options as far as optics go. And remember, you can always add risers to your optics if they sit too low or if you want a lower cowitness.

Your rifle looks outstanding. I want to say thanks for posting your rifle pictures, it gives me inspiration.
That's the same sling I want too. And thanks for the links. Those rifles look good.
I think you'd like the Troy stubby grip as it gets the job done, but isn't hanging down too much.
I've got mine right at the front of the Tri Rail so you can still get a more traditional rifle hold. This way it clears the part by the front wall of the trigger housing. It's still not too far out there for you to use the grip the right way.
All my shooting buddies love the FS2000. I just think it's a badass little package. You'd have to go SBR to get an AR anywhere near that short.
Sights, I could live with the FS2000 front sight, but the rear sight just sucks.
But, I keep thinking the Troy Micro sights would look just "killer" on my FS2000. They will take up little rail space, a big plus. The Troy Micro look just like the regular BUIS, but a little smaller (made for rifles with higher rails like an HK 416).
Downside is that they will sit awful low so I'd have to have something like a micro red dot.
I'll keep you posted on the route I go with.
Thanks again,
smitty

Last edited:
I have the Micros on my XCR and regular Troy BUIS set on my M&P15FT. The main reason to get the Micros is, as you said, if you have something like a SIG 556, XCR, POF or other rifle with a taller rail than a usual AR. Looking at the FS2000 (which I wish I had), I think the Micro set would make more sense given the elevation relative to the stock area.

Like PaulD said the Micro's are for rifles with the rail taller than normal AR-15's. Considering that the rail is at least 1 1/2" above the barrel, I'd say the Micro's would be the best choice. Also, after looking at the factory front sight, it is pretty short and is closer in size to the Micro as well.

Flintoid... I am jealous of that setup.... [drool]

-Mike

thanks guys

I love whoring it out so if any of you guys want to shoot it, let me know. I am going to be going to braintree on a more regular basis on the weekends hopefully soon. The only people that ever take me up on the offer are at NES shoots. It's kind of amazing how people will turn offers down at the range. And smitty- if you want to give it a whirl to see what the sights feel like, let me know. I can travel out to ranges if you can harbor a guest for an afternoon.

Flintoid, thanks for the offer man. I'm moving right now, but we'll have to get the two FN's together soon. Like mid / late Aug timeframe. I'm actually moving closer to you, but it's only about 10 miles further east (from exit 3 to exit 6 on the pike). I've already found an range real close to my new home and the price is right.

I'VE GOT THE TROY MICRO SIGHTS ON ORDER RIGHT NOW AS WE SPEAK. It wasn't cheap, but for $199 they ought to rock.
Also everybody once I get the sights I'll try and post a picture before I purchase my optic.
Thanks,
smitty

Last edited:
Flintoid, where did you get the quad rail fore-end handguard on the pictures? On the rubber cover, it is printed UTG. what model is the handguard from UTG? I am very interested in it. You have to take off the original handguard from the FS2000 and install this quad rail? thank you

Thankfully UTG did not start manufacturing FS2000 handguards yet. These are just rubber covers and can be made by any one of the plethora of companies out there. Currently the only available tri-rail is the one manufactured by FN. It comes and goes in stock so your best bet is to keep checking online. Yes to install it, simply field strip the rifle, remove the plastic handguard and replace with the rail.

Thankfully UTG did not start manufacturing FS2000 handguards yet. These are just rubber covers and can be made by any one of the plethora of companies out there. Currently the only available tri-rail is the one manufactured by FN. It comes and goes in stock so your best bet is to keep checking online. Yes to install it, simply field strip the rifle, remove the plastic handguard and replace with the rail.

Hi andy t, thank you so much for the reply. You mentioned the tri-rail currently comes and goes in stock, does this mean that this is a very popular item? Are there a lot of FS2000 sold in the commercial market. I have also noticed that in FNHUSA website, they come out with a new version of FS2000, called Tactical Black with the tri-rail already installed out of the factory. Does FN continue to produce the previous USG models or they will discontinue them? Thank you.

Last I checked you could order any of the models on their website. I could be wrong.

The FNH tri-rail has gotten a little more scarce because of the holiday rebate FNH did on the FS2000 last christmas. I sent you a PM with several links to the tri rail, where it is sold, and I sent you a thread where there are a bunch of people keeping track of where it is in stock currently.

As far as the rubber rail guards labeled UTG, yeah, they're just rail guards. Cheap as heck and they pop right onto the rail. They're a lot more comfortable to grab than the steel picitinny ribbing.

Back
Top Bottom