• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Flying with bullets.. TSA said OK Jet Blue said No.

Whose in charge anyways. Took a road trip to Louisiana and figured after 10 minutes on Bourbon Street I would drive out to the Bayou for some bullets to bring home. Went and saw Donnie Miculek of Bayou bullets and got a Saturday tour and 2000 bullets to bring home.
Put them in my checked in bag and headed to the airport. Watched as the TSA guys cut open the boxes and then give me the thumbs up and resealed them with special TSA tape. Went thru security only to hear an overhead page to return to the jet blue ticket desk. BACK out thru security where Jet Blue says they won't carry them. I said its just sinkers and jig heads. They said they would have to examine each one. I said you guys suck and was able to have someone come to the airport and pick them up and ship them to me. Jet Blue sucks and I thought TSA was in charge of security. I guess my expedited security clearance (I get to leave my shoes and belt on)don't mean squat...
I did find out Donnie was the brother of Jerry Miculek. I had Donnie pat me on the back just in case some Miculek rubbed off on me. It didn't.

when flying on ANY carrier, you must check their web site for what they allow on board a plane in your checked baggage AND the TSA web site, The Carrier's can be more strict than the TSA. I just returned from a round trip Prov to Tampa on Southwest and had no problems with a pistol and ammo, long as you follow the rules.

Just like the ntsb now allows the use of electronic devices on flights the individual airlines were free to make their own decisions whether they would allow them or not.

I did my research with the TSA and Jet Blue and that's all you can do. I've flown multiple times with firearms and ammo for hunting and never a problem. I really know I shouldn't be surprised but WTH.

TSA is not the FAA. TSA only deals with security on the ground in airports, FAA deals with security elsewhere.

Last I read FAA lets you check ammunition, not in carry on.

From the JetBlue site the only additional rule is gun and ammo need to be separate containers. I just unload and place the mag in the same lockbox so that won't work on JetBlue

Firearms are not permitted on international flights to or from the U.S.

There is no additional charge or limit for checking shooting equipment. However, one piece of shooting equipment will count as one of your checked bags.

You must be 18 years of age to check a firearm.

Firearms, shooting equipment and related items will be accepted only as checked baggage subject to the following specific conditions:

All firearms must be unloaded and must be packed in either a lockable crush-proof container specifically designed for the firearm, or in a hard sided container with TSA approved locks or combination locks (where the customer checking the firearm retains the combination numbers). If the firearm case cannot be locked, JetBlue Airways will not accept the item. TSA recommends that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. Once TSA confirms that all of the criteria is met, the firearm may be placed in your checked bag.

Ammunition for the firearm cannot be placed in the same container as the firearm, but may be in the same checked bag as long as everything is packaged properly. Ammunition must be housed in a separate container that is completely separate and distinct from the firearms locked box. The ammunition must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal box specifically designed for carrying small amounts of ammunition. Ammunition is limited to 10 pounds per customer. Ammunition will not be permitted in carry-on or checked baggage on international flights.

Pistol cases may be available for purchase by cash or credit card at any JetBlue ticket counter for a nonrefundable fee of $35. Quantities are limited and may not be available at all ticket counters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Whose in charge anyways. Took a road trip to Louisiana and figured after 10 minutes on Bourbon Street I would drive out to the Bayou for some bullets to bring home. Went and saw Donnie Miculek of Bayou bullets and got a Saturday tour and 2000 bullets to bring home.
Put them in my checked in bag and headed to the airport. Watched as the TSA guys cut open the boxes and then give me the thumbs up and resealed them with special TSA tape. Went thru security only to hear an overhead page to return to the jet blue ticket desk. BACK out thru security where Jet Blue says they won't carry them. I said its just sinkers and jig heads. They said they would have to examine each one. I said you guys suck and was able to have someone come to the airport and pick them up and ship them to me. Jet Blue sucks and I thought TSA was in charge of security. I guess my expedited security clearance (I get to leave my shoes and belt on)don't mean squat...
I did find out Donnie was the brother of Jerry Miculek. I had Donnie pat me on the back just in case some Miculek rubbed off on me. It didn't.

You should have told them they were prescription suppositories. You have a Cu and Pb deficiency.

The smallest handgun boolit from Bayou is 105 grains (9mm/38 Super.)
(105 * 2000) / 7000 = 30lbs.

Was their malfunction with the simple fact that you had boolits in your bag, or at least 30 pounds of boolits?

The smallest handgun boolit from Bayou is 105 grains (9mm/38 Super.)
(105 * 2000) / 7000 = 30lbs.

Was their malfunction with the simple fact that you had boolits in your bag, or at least 30 pounds of boolits?

This. I realize that bullets do not equal loaded ammunition, but the TSA only allows a maximum weight of, I believe, 11 pounds of ammunition per person checked. It must also be stored in a cardboard, wooden or metal container. I'm guessing that you ran into some folks who didn't get the distinction between bullets and loaded ammunition and kicked it out because of that.

Why in the world would you want to carry 30# of bullets in your checked bag, anyhow? Overweight baggage fees suck.

I fly Jet Blue with guns, ammo and ammo components all the time. Just put 1k pieces of brass in my wife's bag to take to my brother in law in FL. Never had a problem.

I frequently pick jetblue when I fly, and I always fly with firearms, never had a problem. One time the guy at the counter said he never asks people to show him if the firearm is unloaded because he's afraid the passenger might try to shoot him if the gun becomes visible. I told him that if someone wanted to kill him they could just walk up to the counter and do it, without going through the elaborate subterfuge of booking a flight and trying to legally check a firearm. It was amusing to see the puzzle pieces click in his head and we had a good chat for a bit after that.

TSA is not the FAA. TSA only deals with security on the ground in airports, FAA deals with security elsewhere.

Last I read FAA lets you check ammunition, not in carry on.

Wrong. The TSA is in charge of what can go in checked vs carry on. No doubt they consult with the FAA, but it's the TSA who does the screening.

OP, were you trying to bring the bullets in your carry on? The only odd thing about Jet Blue is that they want the ammo in a separate box from the guns. Doesn't have to be locked just separate.

I always carry a current copy of the TSA regs and the specific airline rules as well. The Contract of Carriage is your best tool. When I checked in at Green last week the ticket agent wasn't sure I could have ammo in the same box. Ioffered to give her a copy of the CoC, but she declined and put my declaration card in the box.

I also carry copies of the FA 10s for any guns I'm traveling with in case of theft.

Private companies can make their own rules. /end thread

They are private companies but they are heavily regulated industry that does not allow for free competition and bars entry into the field. Therefore there are a limited number of carriers; we're spoiled here in Boston but many markets are only served by one carrier, and you may be flying to or through one of them.

Even in multiple carrier markets, if the 2 or 3 of them all decided they didn't want the publicity of a moms demand action campaign, there's be no way to transport your firearms on board.

They may be free to do so at the moment, but they shouldn't be. They are a defacto government controlled monopoly.

Back
Top Bottom