Flying domestically with declared firearm on JetBlue and Delta in 2024

CAESAR

NES Member
Never done it before.
Any tips would be appreciated.
How sooner I should get to Logan. Anyone dealt with any issues there?

JetBlue moonbats require separate box for ammo but does it have to be locked box like the gun's locked box?
  • Ammunition must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal box specifically designed for carrying small amounts of ammunition.
  • Ammunition must be housed in a separate container that is completely separate and distinct from the firearms locked box. It may be in the same checked bag as the firearms box as long as everything is packaged properly.
According to this I can just throw the ammo box into my suitcase near the locked firearm hard container. No?

The moonbats of Delta:
"
  • Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges
"

So can I just put the ammo with the gun inside the manufacturer's carton box that has plastic separation for each round? Or I need to buy a sperate plastic box?

Thanks

In both cases just pack the ammo in its original box, outside the locked handgun container in your luggage.

A lockbox with a combination for the handgun is a good idea in case you forget the key'
I put an apple airtag in the lockbox as well, in case my luggage or the lockbox goes missing.

For Jetblue, go to Special Services with your luggage and tell them you want to check a firearm. Try to keep it on top of everything as you will have to open the lockbox for them.
They will visually verify the firearm is unloaded and and the ammo is seperate and have you sign a form verifying that, and then place the form on top of the lockbox in your luggage.
Its pretty painless.

Last edited:
In both cases just pack the ammo in its original box, outside the locked handgun container in your luggage.

A lockbox with a combination for the handgun is a good idea in case you forget the key'
I put an apple airtag in the lockbox as well, in case my luggage or the lockbox goes missing.

For Jetblue, go to Special Services with your luggage and tell them you want to check a firearm. Try to keep it on top of everything as you will have to open the lockbox for them.
They will visually verify the firearm is unloaded and and the ammo is seperate and have you sign a form verifying that, and then place the form on top of the lockbox in your luggage.
Its pretty painless.

I also use an Apple Airtag for extra piece of mind. Well worth it...

All of the information you need is on the carriers website and the TSA website. Follow those rules and guidelines and do not follow what you hear on this forum without verifying it from those two sources.

This……Also, print both and take them with you. Sometimes you get a clown clerk that wants to make up extra rules.

Use a non tsa lock. IF they need to open it you want to be there. I just keep it all in the same rifle case. Its not that big of a deal. Walk up to the desk, check in, declare firearm, unlock case and insert the card that certifies that it is unloaded into the case, relock it, carry it over to the tsa drop and they may ask you to stay so they can inspect it sometimes they can just scan it (i've encountered both in my travels but last time at logan they went through the case). Then just go on your way once the case is locked and tsa has possession.

I recommend air tags for piece of mind.

Just did it with JetBlue down to Florida and back on Delta a month ago
Very easy with both.They will make sure it is in a hard lockable container( THEY DID NOT EVEN OPEN THE BOX) when you declare your firearm at check in
ammo separate in its own container and just follow instructions given. Process took maybe an extra 2 minutes at check in. be prepared to retrieve your luggage back in Boston at the airline service office next to luggage pickup MAKE SURE everything IS UNLOADED

Flew on delta last year with firearms. It could not be easier. As stated above follow the TSA rules and the carrier rules.

Never done it before.
Any tips would be appreciated.
How sooner I should get to Logan. Anyone dealt with any issues there?

JetBlue moonbats require separate box for ammo but does it have to be locked box like the gun's locked box?
  • Ammunition must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal box specifically designed for carrying small amounts of ammunition.
  • Ammunition must be housed in a separate container that is completely separate and distinct from the firearms locked box. It may be in the same checked bag as the firearms box as long as everything is packaged properly.
According to this I can just throw the ammo box into my suitcase near the locked firearm hard container. No?

The moonbats of Delta:
"
  • Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges
"

So can I just put the ammo with the gun inside the manufacturer's carton box that has plastic separation for each round? Or I need to buy a sperate plastic box?

Thanks

Its pretty painless.

Cap'n Mike has it correct for JetBlue. I flew out of Logan last February to Fort Myers FL. The female TSA agent at Logan asked me to open the locked case to show the firearm was unloaded (I left the semi in the box with the action opened, but it's not necessary). She never asked to see the ammo I packed in the original boxes. The declaration that you sign for the handgun also has a blurb in it that you are not carrying more than 11 pounds of ammo. Interestingly, TSA says you do not have to declare the ammo.

It was a different story flying out of Fort Myers (RSW). When I started to unlock the case for the gun inspection upon declaration, the female TSA agent said she did not want to see it. She seemed to be a bit nervous about it. lol

JetBlue also requires that every "lock" hole on the gun case requires a lock. The locked firearm case and ammo can only go inside checked baggage, not carry-on baggage.

Just get to the airport 2 hours early. The declaration of the firearm only takes 10 minutes, if only carrying one firearm. Once the gun is packed up again in checked baggage, the TSA agent will take the baggage from you.

Very easy to do.

Delta will make you have a lock in every locking hole in the case. So for long gun cases that may have 3,4, or even 5 places to put a lock you need one in every hole.

I did delta this weekend, it was easy, they confirmed it was unloaded and the ammo was in a factory box, both in the same case, I locked the case, they took it and away I went. On the far end it was waiting at the office in the baggage area, just needed to show them ID, quicker than getting a bag off the carousel.

When you land go right to get you fire arm, DO NOT GO ANY OTHER PLACE go get your fire arm.
Not needed for Delta, stop freaking out. Delta puts them in a separate office. Sometimes the guns travel in an earlier flight so they are sitting at the office for hours.

Because I arrived early, my rifle flew on an earlier flight than me. I was watching my tag chilling in Detroit while I was still in Boston.

Last edited:
Use a non tsa lock. IF they need to open it you want to be there. I just keep it all in the same rifle case. Its not that big of a deal. Walk up to the desk, check in, declare firearm, unlock case and insert the card that certifies that it is unloaded into the case, relock it, carry it over to the tsa drop and they may ask you to stay so they can inspect it sometimes they can just scan it (i've encountered both in my travels but last time at logan they went through the case). Then just go on your way once the case is locked and tsa has possession.

I recommend air tags for piece of mind.
1. For Jet Blue I believe the ammo has to be separate.
2. A lot of airports, including Boston, you don't take your bag anywhere after they open it, the person at the desk, or TSA, handle it. At least for Delta, the belt that takes the gun to TSA is right behind where the first class people check in.
This could be different for other airlines, but at least for Delta, they drop it on the belt.

There is so much incorrect advice in this thread. The only good advice is to read the rules each airline has on their website.

The airline rules are pretty clear.

I got one of these for when I'm flying, and they're great...takes care of storing both the handgun and ammo: Hornady Dual-Lid Key Lock Box Pistol Safe

869570.jpg

869570a2.jpg

Frank

Whatever you do do NOT connect through New York City with a gun and ammo. In New York a firearm is considered "loaded" (even if it is not) if it is in "close proximity" to ammunition.
That box that pinefd displayed would get you arrested at JFK / LaGuardia if it were discovered. Furthermore, NYC has a reputation for arresting people and locking them up even when they followed the law.

Whatever you do do NOT connect through New York City with a gun and ammo. In New York a firearm is considered "loaded" (even if it is not) if it is in "close proximity" to ammunition.
That box that pinefd displayed would get you arrested at JFK / LaGuardia if it were discovered. Furthermore, NYC has a reputation for arresting people and locking them up even when they followed the law.

Good point. I will not book any flights that shows a layover at JFK or LaGuadia when traveling with a firearm. Of course if a flight got diverted, there's not much you can do about it.

More pant sh*tting.

You wouldn't touch the guns when connecting.

Worst case is a flight get canceled, you still don't have to touch the guns with Delta, they keep them in the office and will send them to the destination.

I called Delta and asked about this scenario.

Always try to avoid NY and NJ. But it is not the end of the world if your only option is to connect through those airports and if there is an issue with the flight, DONT take possession of the guns. This is why I like Delta, you never have to touch the guns, even if you have to spend the night in another State due to a delay/cancelation.

Last edited:
1. For Jet Blue I believe the ammo has to be separate.
2. A lot of airports, including Boston, you don't take your bag anywhere after they open it, the person at the desk, or TSA, handle it. At least for Delta, the belt that takes the gun to TSA is right behind where the first class people check in.
This could be different for other airlines, but at least for Delta, they drop it on the belt.

There is so much incorrect advice in this thread. The only good advice is to read the rules each airline has on their website.

The airline rules are pretty clear.
I've had mixed cases but typically fly delta or united with firearms. I've flown through BOS, BDL, MCO, MIA, LAS, DFW, BZN, RNO, JFK all with guns. Surprisingly the only hard time I got was at MCO.

This isn't a problem as long as you don't touch the box while you're in NYC. Make the airline deal with it. By federal law they are insulated from prosecution as a common
carrier. They should be able to get your baggage to Boston or wherever it is you are going without you having to touch it. Explain to them that you cannot touch it legally inside the
state.

More pant sh*tting.

You wouldn't touch the guns when connecting.

Worst case is a flight get canceled, you still don't have to touch the guns with Delta, they keep them in the office and will send them to the destination.

I called Delta and asked about this scenario.

Always try to avoid NY and NJ. But it is not the end of the world if your only option is to connect through those airports and if there is an issue with the flight, DONT take possession of the guns. This is why I like Delta, you never have to touch the guns, even if you have to spend the night in another State due to a delay/cancelation.

Exactly right...I've had it happen to me. They lock the luggage in secure storage overnight and then load it onto your flight the next morning.

One of the reasons I always carry a small toiletry kit and extra socks and undies in my carry on backpack.

Call me a pants s**tter but I have no desire to get jammed up by NYs criminal justice system. When I visit NYC (my daughter goes to school there) I don't even bring a pocket knife.
To groundscaper's comment regarding the TSA in MCO suppose you were connecting through JFK or LGA and TSA demanded you open your luggage to do an inspection. Luggage was checked but they know you have firearms because you declared them when you began your journey. You have to open the bag and unlock the cases in front of an officer. Bingo! You are now "in possession" of your firearms and subject to arrest.
This happened to me years ago under completely different circumstances. I was bringing some instant ice tea to my wife's aunt in France. I had two containers of tea in my checked luggage. TSA screened the bags, thought they looked suspicious, and I was paged, had to go to an office and open the luggage and show them the tea. Imagine the same scenario with firearms.

Back
Top Bottom