• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Florida out of state CCW process questions

NH residents w/out permits bring guns back and forth all the time to keep in their homes, or go to the range with

No CCW, no open carry, no carry in car loaded w/o a FL or recognized out of state permit ( NH RESIDENT is accepted!)

If you have a NH resident P&R license you are good to go in FLA, except for in bars, and areas of restaurants that are bar areas
Thanks. One of the bars I go to, I am a part owner. Not sure that makes a difference. I go there every couple of months. I’ve never brought my weapons with me so thought maybe I was missing something.

I think you missed the part where I was covered by reciprocity. Not that it really matters.
Yeah you were covered by reciprocity so you’re clear either way but i think broc’s a ma**h***.

Every single time I’ve been stopped by police in the south, interacted with them for anything more than directions, or even been in someone else’s car who got stopped, first (or second, when I was in a car crashed they asked if I was OK) was “are you carrying a weapon today, sir?.”
Seven magic words to magically transform “concealed means concealed” into “duty to inform”

I’ve actually never been asked that outside of the south. And I get pulled over a LOT. Turns out most of the cool stuff you can do to cars isn’t allowed.
15382376337745-im-sorry-i-thought-this-was-america_new.jpg

I am traveling to Florida in 3 weeks.

Can I apply for an out of state license in person (Tampa) or can it be done remote?

Is this the correct form?
You can do an online form but need to handle the prints separately, if you go in person it would be a one stop shop. Not positive for out of state, but Pasco County (directly above Tampa) will do CCW licensing for any state resident and one of the few that doesn’t require an appointment in the area. Might be worth a call to the Tax Collector’s office…

You can do an online form but need to handle the prints separately, if you go in person it would be a one stop shop. Not positive for out of state, but Pasco County (directly above Tampa) will do CCW licensing for any state resident and one of the few that doesn’t require an appointment in the area. Might be worth a call to the Tax Collector’s office…

Do it in person. The application will be done on computer...no need to bring completed app. with you.
Make sure you have ID...and safety cert(s).
Call ahead to make sure as to what to bring with you.
Thank you guys.

Heh....Pasco County is where I did mine...lol.

Do it in person. The application will be done on computer...no need to bring completed app. with you.
Make sure you have ID...and safety cert(s).
Call ahead to make sure as to what to bring with you.

Exactly. Call, make an appointment on the computer and they make it super easy.

Just make sure that your training certificate meets their requirements. Mine was a long time ago and didn’t have all the required information but they accepted my DD214.

Bob

Training Certificate Requirements​

The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible and must include:

• Your name,
  • Your instructor's name,
  • Your instructor's qualifications/credentials (National Rifle Association instructor, law enforcement firearms instructor, Class "K" Firearm Instructor licensed by the state of Florida, etc.) and
  • Your instructor's license/certification number.
Acceptable Firearms Training Documentation / Applying for a Concealed Weapon License / Concealed Weapon License / Consumer Resources / Home - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services

They accepted mine. I would recommend you bring whatever documents you have from your initial safety class in Massachusetts as well. I cannot understate how different the process is in FL vs MA. They don’t act like they’re doing you a favor when processing the application.

They accepted mine. I would recommend you bring whatever documents you have from your initial safety class in Massachusetts as well. I cannot understate how different the process is in FL vs MA. They don’t act like they’re doing you a favor when processing the application.
I will bring:
1. Gun safety class from MA.
2. MA LTC
3. They say they accept proof of participating in competition... maybe some screenshots of my USPSA clarification record. Although this sounds stupid, but whatever.
4. If I can find it, the MA hunter safety certificate.

I will go online today to make an appointment.

I was told (by a nice lady at Florida Agriculture office) that a MA BFS certificate would be acceptable if, and only if, it was endorsed "Live Fire." So I endorse all of the BFS certificates I issue "Live Fire" and so far they have been accepted by students who apply for a Florida pistol permit.

I was told (by a nice lady at Florida Agriculture office) that a MA BFS certificate would be acceptable if, and only if, it was endorsed "Live Fire." So I endorse all of the BFS certificates I issue "Live Fire" and so far they have been accepted by students who apply for a Florida pistol permit.
Interesting.

The state website says (among others) any NRA class, from any NRA instructor.

You need to prove you can handle a weapon. There’s a few different options to meet that criteria. When you go in person they will upload a copy of any documents you want them to. These get sent off to the processing center who determines the legitimacy of said documents.

If you do it by mail you won't get it in 3 weeks. I'd do it down there. No idea how they are now, used to be pretty quick. Dept. of agriculture handles it, check their web site.
I did mine in person last time I was down that way. Easy peasy. Renewals are done by mail.
And I have had prints done by the local State Police barracks in Mass. In former years, they weren't very friendly. Last time, they were head and antlers better. Very friendly.

No idea what changed.

Hmmm... mine doesn't say "live fire" I lost my original safety class so I had to take a new one with @EddieCoyle ... but that was when they stopped asking for live fire.

This page:

Says (last bullet point):
  • Any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.

Nowhere says "live fire".

Hmmm... mine doesn't say "live fire" I lost my original safety class so I had to take a new one with @EddieCoyle ... but that was when they stopped asking for live fire.

This page:

Says (last bullet point):

Nowhere says "live fire".
Anyway, got a copy of the hunter Ed certificate. Emailed this morning, received a copy a few hours later.

I think between that + the gun safety class + MA LTC I should be good to go.

Already scheduled an appointment at 8am in Tampa (amazing they have some convenient times for appointments, not like MA).

According to MFS, you need a 'Live Fire' cert to get FLA. I didn't know this until reading this thread, I was gonna apply (probably unsuccessfully) the next time I went down.

Maybe it's better to just get the Utah in the first place? Dunno... The USCCA Map states that FLA reciprcates with Utah, but the MFS site doesn't list FLA ?? EDIT: Looks like FLA honors ONLY Resident Utah License

"Cost is $150 (live fire shooting included as required by the state of Florida*). Get a license to carry a firearm in 31 states! Our Utah CCW Class will qualify you to receive a Utah nonresident firearms license.

Certification for Life™ - If you ever need to be recertified, retake the class for free.

This license will enable you to carry a concealed handgun in the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Indiana, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

*You can also use this class to apply for Florida license. Florida law requires live fire be included in the class. At MFS we include live fire shooting no additional charge.

During the class we will provide you with everything you need to complete your application at no additional charge: photograph, fingerprints, copy of your driver's license, and mailing envelope.

*Massachusetts residents do not need a firearms license to qualify for this permit."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom