Florida out of state CCW process questions

I did a search of "Florida" and didn't see any threads on the subject after page 5.

How did you go about the finger print process? How long did the whole process take?

I work in Florida a lot and not sure if I should do it when I go there or not.

This would be my 3rd time being finger printed this year... My MA and my TSA Global Entry (Trusted Traveler).

I took a combined Utah/Florida class and the instructor provided all the forms for both. I just brought the blank fingerprint card to the pd and a detective did the prints. One thing I do remember is that FL wants the name and address of the pd where the prints were done to be written on the card. I dont remember how long it took but it was quicker than MA. ( no shit, right?)

If you work in FL a lot, get your fingerprints done when you're there. It's easier than going to your local PD and having a card done. If you end up going the local PD route, you MUST write on the back of the card the name of the PD. My application got mailed back because I forgot to do this.

Any suggestions for a Boston resident? Going to Boston Police HQ is a nightmare with parking alone. Can I go to another town to get printed??

Any suggestions for a Boston resident? Going to Boston Police HQ is a nightmare with parking alone. Can I go to another town to get printed??

You have two good options. Public transit to Ruggles or drive. The area is posted no parking but don't let that stop you. Park up the street from headquarters on the same side of the street as headquarters. Leave a note on your dash, Police Business. You'll be in and out quickly. IIRC, the fee is $5.00. And yes, the State Police are an option.
Best regards.

Had my local PD take my prints on the card. Sent everything in, took under 3 weeks. Granted that was 3.5 years ago, but I can't imagine the process would drastically different.

I don't think they do any printing at HQ, only at the District Stations. You'll have to get your own cards as I don't think any PDs in MA still roll prints on paper.

The problem with Boston might be finding someone who has the time.

Just carry concealed, you don’t need a permit. They’re not YET CC, but in my experience, zero f***s were given. NH has reciprocity. Doesn’t mass??

NH RESIDENT has FL reciprocity

NH NON Resident is NFG in FL

FL requires a license for CCW, and they don't screw around .

No open carry ( unless hunting. fishing, or camping) and no carrying into bars or bar areas of restaurants

no MA reciprocity since MA won't accept FL permits

MA has reciprocity with NO OTHER STATE. Several states in the south extend one way recognition to MA. The list is long, so I won't post it.

Just carry concealed, you don’t need a permit. They’re not YET CC, but in my experience, zero f***s were given. NH has reciprocity. Doesn’t mass??

MA has reciprocity with NO OTHER STATE. Several states in the south extend one way recognition to MA. The list is long, so I won't post it.
I meant it the other way around....sorry if I was not clear

It's simple, there is no reciprocity to out of state permits in MA. FL recognizes a lot of other state permits, but not MA. So, if you're going to FL don't rely on your MA permit, and if you're coming into MA from anywhere, leave your guns at home.

I meant it the other way around....sorry if I was not clear

I don't think they do any printing at HQ, only at the District Stations. You'll have to get your own cards as I don't think any PDs in MA still roll prints on paper.

The problem with Boston might be finding someone who has the time.
FL provides the cards. I can't speak for any other city, but Medford still did them when I renewed in the beginning of 2020.

I did a search of "Florida" and didn't see any threads on the subject after page 5.

How did you go about the finger print process? How long did the whole process take?

I work in Florida a lot and not sure if I should do it when I go there or not.

This would be my 3rd time being finger printed this year... My MA and my TSA Global Entry (Trusted Traveler).

The process will be faster and easier to do it in person when you are in Florida. Just make an appointment with the nearest department of Agriculture and bring the required documents.

I did mine via email and my wife did it in person when we were down there a few years ago.

It's simple, there is no reciprocity to out of state permits in MA. FL recognizes a lot of other state permits, but not MA. So, if you're going to FL don't rely on your MA permit, and if you're coming into MA from anywhere, leave your guns at home.
My bad, I’ve been to FL on my NH PRL, never asked to see it. Don’t ask, don’t tell, concealed is consealed. They don’t ask questions at FL airport in my experience. Guns are not a big deal in America!

So can I bring my gun to Florida without a permit in Florida? Do I have to have a NH permit?
NH residents w/out permits bring guns back and forth all the time to keep in their homes, or go to the range with

No CCW, no open carry, no carry in car loaded w/o a FL or recognized out of state permit ( NH RESIDENT is accepted!)

If you have a NH resident P&R license you are good to go in FLA, except for in bars, and areas of restaurants that are bar areas

Don’t do this. FL has no reciprocity with MA. Getting arrested for a firearms felony and becoming a PP to make a point isn’t a good use of your life. In my experience the first question cops ask when you interact with them for any reason in high-gun-ownership states is “You carrying a weapon on you?”

But when you get your FL license you can carry in delaware, and from VA on down excluding SC. Also most of the southern states that aren’t CC already.
Can you bring without a ccw?
FL law says you can't carry without a ccw, but you can bring.

Define bring?

I'd not guess here, cause I'm not a lawyer
You can own firearms in FL without a license. You can possess them in your home. Concealed carry without a license is no bueno. Probably not smart to keep them in the car loaded either but I don’t remember the law off the top of my head. I’m not a lawyer but I have properties here and go back and forth a lot and spend a lot of time in FL and read up on their laws.
If you do it by mail you won't get it in 3 weeks. I'd do it down there. No idea how they are now, used to be pretty quick. Dept. of agriculture handles it, check their web site.
FL provides the cards. I can't speak for any other city, but Medford still did them when I renewed in the beginning of 2020.
From my reading of their website non residents can’t get their fingerprints taken here, but that doesn’t make much sense. I did the online app, they mailed my my fingerprint cards and I got my local PD to roll me in ink, stamp the back and I sent then back with the $42 fingerprint processing fee (on top of the application fee of $100 I paid by credit card online). I’ll update the thread with how long it takes to receive the license, I mailed out the prints on 10/14.

NH residents w/out permits bring guns back and forth all the time to keep in their homes, or go to the range with

No CCW, no open carry, no carry in car loaded w/o a FL or recognized out of state permit ( NH RESIDENT is accepted!)

If you have a NH resident P&R license you are good to go in FLA, except for in bars, and areas of restaurants that are bar areas
Oops, I was good most places. However, I didn’t ask, I didn’t tell, I just went about my business like a normal free American and all was well.....other than the ass raping from that rat in Orlando, but otherwise, life went on.

The process has changed a lot since I last looked at it. You can make an appointment and they will do everything including photo and prints when you go.

Since I have no plans to travel to FL in the near future, there's not much benefit to me getting a FL CCW.

Don’t do this. FL has no reciprocity with MA. Getting arrested for a firearms felony and becoming a PP to make a point isn’t a good use of your life. In my experience the first question cops ask when you interact with them for any reason in high-gun-ownership states is “You carrying a weapon on you?”

But when you get your FL license you can carry in delaware, and from VA on down excluding SC. Also most of the southern states that aren’t CC already.

You can own firearms in FL without a license. You can possess them in your home. Concealed carry without a license is no bueno. Probably not smart to keep them in the car loaded either but I don’t remember the law off the top of my head. I’m not a lawyer but I have properties here and go back and forth a lot and spend a lot of time in FL and read up on their laws.

From my reading of their website non residents can’t get their fingerprints taken here, but that doesn’t make much sense. I did the online app, they mailed my my fingerprint cards and I got my local PD to roll me in ink, stamp the back and I sent then back with the $42 fingerprint processing fee (on top of the application fee of $100 I paid by credit card online). I’ll update the thread with how long it takes to receive the license, I mailed out the prints on 10/14.

I think you missed the part where I was covered by reciprocity. Not that it really matters.

Back
Top Bottom