FLEO and CCW/Using FLETC to satisfy basic safety course requirement to obtain Class A

In fact, Feds can NOT be qualified by a MA SP LEOSA Certified Instructor!

That is not true, at least it isn't true for everybody, or it wasn't a few years ago. I think it changed in 2010 with the signing of S.1132 which ammended the LEOSA.

Former 1811 here (FAM) and I am certified by the MSP as a LEOSA Certified Instructor. I also got a LTCA from my local chief for shits and giggles with only my FLETC certs.

To the OP, I would talk to your local chief. It can be worked out in most cases.

That is not true, at least it isn't true for everybody, or it wasn't a few years ago. I think it changed in 2010 with the signing of S.1132 which ammended the LEOSA.

Former 1811 here (FAM) and I am certified by the MSP as a LEOSA Certified Instructor. I also got a LTCA from my local chief for shits and giggles with only my FLETC certs.

To the OP, I would talk to your local chief. It can be worked out in most cases.

Read the CMR wrt qualifying under LEOSA. Person MUST have a MA-issued ID in order for a LEOSA Certified Instructor to qualify them.

According to both Ron Glidden and the former Asst Chief Counsel for EOPS, EOPS hasn't "gotten around" to drafting any modifications to the CMR since S. 1132 was signed. I spoke with both of them and requested a copy of any draft changes to the CMR.

Now, what local instructors or chiefs do is perhaps another story. [wink] I was speaking strictly to the law/CMR.

what my fiancee was told by a lawyer that spoke about LEOSA was that there wasn't a lot of case law and that you don't want to be the case law yourself. she said if you had doubts or concerns about the legality of anything while carrying in any state under LEOSA it would be best to just get your official permit for the state (if applicable).

So even though you have law, you hide in fear due to the fact there isn't much case law? Who the F*** was that lawyer and where from? Sounds like a real dickhead afraid of his own shadow.

hey, that's what they said. they also said they the government wouldn't stand behind you if you got into trouble while carrying under LEOSA... like JHPs in NJ or other silly sh*t. sounded like they were trying to discourage people from doing it, period.

i wasn't there though so i didn't hear this speech in its entirety--but i would have liked to that's for sure!

Back
Top Bottom