• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fixed Stock Question

No way man. Titanium all the things.
So you're saying that they finally managed to invent
an AR with actual Donk-ouchying recoil?

P.S.
67pc5b.jpg

So you're saying that they finally managed to invent
an AR with actual Donk-ouchying recoil?

P.S.
67pc5b.jpg
Ironically, it could be lighter if they kept the aluminum, and just installed a titanium barrel. (This assumes they haven't significantly optimized the wall thickness.)
It's in about the same area as the WWSD rifle...

Its called a sextant
Odd... I did a search for 'sextant' ,which happens to be a navigational aid, to find a suitable picture and this image was one of many sextants to choose from. I was first thinking about the cheap compass that was in the 'Red Ryder' BB gun stock but felt that wouldn't be outlandish enough for this thread.
I have officially been 'schooled'... Thank you.

20220221_074451-jpg.580136

Put a nip in the storage compartment and keep on marching

I used to keep M&Ms in mine. Life tip - leave them in the bag, sure you can get more in when they're loose, but they make a hell of a noise.

On a serious note - why do AR owners always feel the need to change stuff around and add crap to the rifle? Is it because you can? Is it because you need to? Beyond sling swivels and maybe a scope, my rifles are perfectly fine as is, why does the AR scream to be changed?

Just go and change the stock for a collapsible stock, everyone else does.

I used to keep M&Ms in mine. Life tip - leave them in the bag, sure you can get more in when they're loose, but they make a hell of a noise.

On a serious note - why do AR owners always feel the need to change stuff around and add crap to the rifle? Is it because you can? Is it because you need to? Beyond sling swivels and maybe a scope, my rifles are perfectly fine as is, why does the AR scream to be changed?

I'm laughing, imagining someone who drops north of $100 for a captured recoil spring, then realizes the noise has always been his skittles...

Fixed AR stocks are too long for anyone to really use except high power style sideways stance shooting (what our military used to teach back then). Switch it out to a carbine stock and roll pin it 1 or two clicks out if it's a defensive/go time rifle.

Fixed AR stocks are too long for anyone to really use except high power style sideways stance shooting (what our military used to teach back then). Switch it out to a carbine stock and roll pin it 1 or two clicks out if it's a defensive/go time rifle.
i posted the stock that fits well on a carbine tube but deleted it, can post again - it works - for those who are concerned.
this one adjusts fine to most usual LOPs, and it is cheap.

but i like my larues better, as i got several of them then they were discounted down to $20 something

I'm 5'8" and find the A2 stock to be comfortable. I guess I still shoot the old fashioned way. I also find most military rifle stocks to be too short, though: AK, M1, Mosin Nagant, SKS all seem too short and my hand is in an odd position.

I never used a plate carrier, however. What I'd do was either tuck the stock under my suspenders, or drop a suspender off my shoulder. With the collapsible stock on the M4, we still didn't have carriers, but it just seemed off to me.

Sorry dude, unless your maybe Shaq, an A2 stock is too long to have proper eye relief in a squared off stance, especially with a plate carrier.
to be fair it depends upon a rifle and application. on a tactical one - for sure, but for prone shooting a2 length is perfect. which brings back the point that old style old times stocks were on rifles to be shot from tranches, not while jogging in the urban jungles and leaning on collapsed walls.

Odd... I did a search for 'sextant' ,which happens to be a navigational aid, to find a suitable picture and this image was one of many sextants to choose from. I was first thinking about the cheap compass that was in the 'Red Ryder' BB gun stock but felt that wouldn't be outlandish enough for this thread.
I have officially been 'schooled'... Thank you.
Happy to help. Nice departure from my typical comments that usually make people dumber.

Sorry dude, unless your maybe Shaq, an A2 stock is too long to have proper eye relief in a squared off stance, especially with a plate carrier.
I always shot just fine with an A2 stock, though I did predate the universal emphasis on body armor.

to be fair it depends upon a rifle and application. on a tactical one - for sure, but for prone shooting a2 length is perfect. which brings back the point that old style old times stocks were on rifles to be shot from tranches, not while jogging in the urban jungles and leaning on collapsed walls.
Which is why adjustable stocks are so much better than fixed. Set them to the length that’s appropriate for the task at hand. Of course anything that makes a gun more accurate/user friendly needs to be band because we know guns are only for evil.

I always shot just fine with an A2 stock, though I did predate the universal emphasis on body armor.
I'm short and I can too, prone, or in a high power style bladed target shooting stance, which is what the A2 stock is designed for. Being bladed off is fine for long range shooting or long ramge fighting because you minimize your sillhouette.

If you train for urban cqc/cqb and try to to stay square to your target to maximize the effectiveness of your armor, the A2 style stock doesn't work at all unless u have incredibly long arms and a long eye relief optic. One of the worst possible places you can get shot in a defensive situation is in your side under your arm pit, plate carrier or not, and chances of getting hit in a cqb situation are high so I'd rather present them with a 10x12 armor plate to shoot at than lungs, heart, liver, kidneys, etc. Carbine stock is always the winner for that usage and usually all the way in or maybe 1 click out.

Probably because they were told they can't have a collapsible stock. The fixed A2 might be perfectly comfortable and serviceable, but the fact people in restricted states CAN'T have a stock that adjusts for length-of-pull makes them want it that much more.

Back
Top Bottom