Fitchburg Rod & Gun (The One in Ashby on Richardson Rd.)

Can anyone tell me anything at all about Fitchburg Rod & Gun Club? I'm only a few miles from it and never knew it was there; researching it on the net didn't yield too much info.

Wow........one year and no replies. [thinking] I too am thinking about joining this club. I have one of the members showing me around this Sunday. Any comments on this Rod & Gun Club?

I was a member of the one in Ashburnham on Rt 119 when I lived in Rindge. Good little club. Not busy and they stock pheasants on the weekends.

I lived in Ashby for 13 years, still have my property there which is on South Rd, walking distance. I was a member there for a few years, but the range isn't exactly a "range", but more of a social club/drinking spot (finding the same about AGSC too). Found myself shooting in the sand pit behind my property more than the club, so let it lapse.

The one over on 119 that derek mentioned is a lot better.

Last edited:
The one on Richardson Rd is mostly a social club (bar) from what I could tell. Membership was $35 at the time. Their shooting range was not much more than a pile of sand and some tables so I decided against joining.

The club on Rt 119 just recently did range upgrades that look nice from the road. There is a gunsmith that works at State Line in Mason who is a member there and was able to answer questions for me. I joined HSC and never got around to joining there.

The one on Richardson Rd is mostly a social club (bar) from what I could tell. Membership was $35 at the time. Their shooting range was not much more than a pile of sand and some tables so I decided against joining.

The club on Rt 119 just recently did range upgrades that look nice from the road. There is a gunsmith that works at State Line in Mason who is a member there and was able to answer questions for me. I joined HSC and never got around to joining there.

Well I believe the one I am being invited to is the one on Richardson Rd. so we shall see. I have been unable to locate any club on rt 119.

I take that back, just got the address: Rt. 119 West in Ashburnham, Ma, Swallow Hill.

Swallow Hill / Fitchburg Sportsmens is a whole different ballgame from FRGC. Way bigger/better facilities. I never joined up there because there was no opt out for the work hours requirement, things may have changed though. Looking at it now the fees are reasonable, but I don't see whether or not they still have the work hours requirement.

The other club (the one with the little pond next to it) might be a tad cheaper (It was $35, it shot up a few years ago, now I think it's down again, I know it's under $100) and I think at most you might have to go to one meeting. They did recently build out their clubhouse quite a bit, way nicer than it used to be... and the 100ish yard range now at least has cement pads in the shooting area so you can police your brass easier. (it used to be just a pile of brass ground into the ground with a roof over it, LOL)

-Mike

Last edited:
I lived in Ashby for 13 years, still have my property there which is on South Rd, walking distance. I was a member there for a few years, but the range isn't exactly a "range", but more of a social club/drinking spot (finding the same about AGSC too). Found myself shooting in the sand pit behind my property more than the club, so let it lapse.

The one over on 119 that derek mentioned is a lot better.

I lived in Ashby on south rd until I was about 13 right on the corner of valley rd and south rd. I know a lot of people from Ashby...

Swallow Hill / Fitchburg Sportsmens is a whole different ballgame from FRGC. Way bigger/better facilities. I never joined up there because there was no opt out for the work hours requirement, things may have changed though. Looking at it now the fees are reasonable, but I don't see whether or not they still have the work hours requirement.

The other club (the one with the little pond next to it) might be a tad cheaper (It was $35, it shot up a few years ago, now I think it's down again, I know it's under $100) and I think at most you might have to go to one meeting. They did recently build out their clubhouse quite a bit, way nicer than it used to be... and the 100ish yard range now at least has cement pads in the shooting area so you can police your brass easier. (it used to be just a pile of brass ground into the ground with a roof over it, LOL)

-Mike

Thanks Mike, looking forward to Sunday then. I should have joined a club sooner!

Can anyone tell me anything at all about Fitchburg Rod & Gun Club? I'm only a few miles from it and never knew it was there; researching it on the net didn't yield too much info.

Fitchburg Rod and Gun Club (short distance from downtown Ashby)
985 Richardson Rd
Ashby Ma, 01431

I have only been once, hours after a fishing derby last year. The Clubhouse/Bar was VERY active (and rowdy). There's a small bar area downstairs ...concrete floor perhaps 5 seats at the bar, dartboard(s), and some seating. Upstairs is larger, brighter and newer, with a pool table. I got the strong feeling that this Club is as much a bar as anything else. It was obvious that many of the folks in attendance were "regulars", and were not "sportsmen"-types so-to-speak ...it is an inexpensive place to drink beer.

They are trying to revive a 3D Archery program, and as to shooting, as drgrant mentioned, there is a 100 yardish range with a covered concrete pad.
----------------------------------------------------
Fitchburg Sportsmen's Club (about 5 or 6 miles North on 119 from downtown Ashby)
Route 119
Ashburnham, MA 01430
(978) 827-6641

The Club on 119 in Ashburnham is often referred to as the Swallow Hill Gun Club. The body of water down the road toward New Ipswich/Rindge was a popular ice racing locale for many years. Within the last few years, they seriously upgraded their range visible from the road. There are three more ranges on the property ...trap being perhaps the most popular. I get the feeling that they've got money to burn.

I drive past this Club quite frequently, and I rarely see folks using the pistol/rifle range that's visible from the road.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom