Ames gun club

edwierdo

NES Member
I just moved to north Easton 1.5 years ago. Looking to join Ames. Can anyone here give me some info? Are they accepting new members and how’s the range?

Thanks in advance

Place sucks. Used to be decent. Several years ago, based on a bogus accusation, they hung ridiculous baffles and went no blue sky. It’s like shooting out of a mail slot. If you shoot there and you’re a Brinks driver it could be useful but otherwise, it’s absurd. All three ranges - despite being separated by berms, share a common firing line. So, you can be in the plinking range shooting at steel inside of 25’ and some ‘good old boy’ who shoots three rounds an hour decides to grab his walker and head down range on the 300 yard range to see if he hit paper, you only need to stand there for +/-30 minutes waiting and listening to the horn blare. The guys who took over, maybe five years ago, are mostly donkeys too. They act like they’re running the WalMart board. I left the year all this nonsense went down but I know of a half dozen other guys who have since followed suit and they all say it’s no better. There are several, much better alternatives available.

Ames uses to be a big deal but I lost track of the # of people who told me it got fudded out and basically has been run by a faction of douchebags

Place sucks. Used to be decent. Several years ago, based on a bogus accusation, they hung ridiculous baffles and went no blue sky. It’s like shooting out of a mail slot. If you shoot there and you’re a Brinks driver it could be useful but otherwise, it’s absurd. All three ranges - despite being separated by berms, share a common firing line. So, you can be in the plinking range shooting at steel inside of 25’ and some ‘good old boy’ who shoots three rounds an hour decides to grab his walker and head down range on the 300 yard range to see if he hit paper, you only need to stand there for +/-30 minutes waiting and listening to the horn blare. The guys who took over, maybe five years ago, are mostly donkeys too. They act like they’re running the WalMart board. I left the year all this nonsense went down but I know of a half dozen other guys who have since followed suit and they all say it’s no better. There are several, much better alternatives available.
In order to appease the abutting residents, the baffles had to be put in, or the club would have likely found itself in a lengthy and expensive court battle. Even though the stray rounds were found not to originate from the ranges themselves, something had to be done. It was determined by LE that more than likely hunters were trespassing onto club property shooting in the direction of the houses on Bay Rd. I think working with the neighbors and LE might have been the only solution to keeping the club open.

You must have went when the place was packed, probably on the weekends. Old timers are everywhere and patience is a virtue sometimes. I'm sure if you spoke to them, they would do their best to try not to be a major inconvenience.
I don't know of anybody who has had a problem with the Board of Directors or President since Ira went to the great range in the sky, not to say there isn't a few that do. I probably don't go often enough to interact with any club officials but when I did in the past, I still had zero problems with them.

You are correct, there are alternatives close by but they don't have the same options that Ames has to offer. Three outdoor ranges, 50, 100, 300 yards, shotgun and skeet, archery, and a heated indoor range are tough to find all in one place.

<snip>

You are correct, there are alternatives close by but they don't have the same options that Ames has to offer. Three outdoor ranges, 50, 100, 300 yards, shotgun and skeet, archery, and a heated indoor range are tough to find all in one place.
My local club:
15 yard pistol
25 meter pistol
100 yard rifle
100 meter rifle
500 yard rifle
Archery range
.22 range
2 skeet fields, 2 more under construction
2 trap fields, 2 more under construction
Sporting clays course
5 stand clays
12 tactical pits including one set up with steel
A stocked pond with docks
Clubhouse with proshop, kitchen and bar.

We keep shooting - they keep building

My local club:
15 yard pistol
25 meter pistol
100 yard rifle
100 meter rifle
500 yard rifle
Archery range
.22 range
2 skeet fields, 2 more under construction
2 trap fields, 2 more under construction
Sporting clays course
5 stand clays
12 tactical pits including one set up with steel
A stocked pond with docks
Clubhouse with proshop, kitchen and bar.

We keep shooting - they keep building

Are the 100 yard and 100 meter side by side where one is 30' longer?

Sounds like a nice range. Where and what is the name please
I was merely responding to @LTCRN post that the amenities offered by Ames are somewhat unique, not common.

My local range is 17South, located in Fleming, Georgia. Not at all local to you.

It’s worth checking out if you’re down this way. Eric from Mass, (Harvard/Woburn), is down in Brunswick at FLETC. He was on my squad last weekend and I expect see him tomorrow at CAPS.

Phil from Metro West Tactical has also shot there. Spent a weekend here on his way to/from Florida.

Back
Top Bottom