Fishing in Alaska.

centermass181

NES Member
Anyone been fishing in Alaska? I just got invited to go end of July for a week to go Salmon fishing. (So no cookouts that week)
Any ideas? Not sure of the actual schedule yet, or destinations, jsut that were flying into Anchorage, and hitting a camper for a week.

Im so pumped. :D

centermass181 said:
Anyone been fishing in Alaska? I just got invited to go end of July for a week to go Salmon fishing. (So no cookouts that week)
Any ideas? Not sure of the actual schedule yet, or destinations, jsut that were flying into Anchorage, and hitting a camper for a week.

Im so pumped. :D

You lucky SOB. I would love to go and fish up there, especially in the summer. :D I'm jealous.

Make sure you bring a digital camera.

I go every year or two. If you've never been before, the scenery and amount of wildlife will blow your mind.

Last fall, a buddy and I floated down the Kwethluk river in the Yukon delta for a couple weeks, fishing and hunting.

When you arrive at the Anchorage airport, take the time to go look at the polar and brown bear displays.

Take good rain gear. Keep at least a knife and a waterproof fire starter in your pocket at all times. Depending on where you are, you may want to fish with a 12 guage full of slugs slung on your back - once you get a close up look at a grizzly, you aren't going to have much faith in anything less.

Oh, man would I love to go to Alaska.Bring back lots of salmon please. It is one of the things I miss from growing up on the west coast, along with various other seafood. :)

I've fished Alaska and can tell you that it's going to be an experience. Forget the fishing for a moment and wait 'till you see what Alaska is all about! It'll put a whole new meaning into the word "big"! Texas will look like Rhode Island when you get there. The land is boundless and limitless. It swallows you up until you are nothing more than a flyspec on a world map. Truly, it is a massive place.

Fishing for salmon in July means you'll probably be fishing for Kings, I believe. I was fishing for Silvers . We were on the far Western edge of Alaska, not far from the Bering Sea about 400 miles from the Russian border on Inuit property with their permission, of course.

I would certainly take a side arm. I brought my .45 Para ready go to. Your guides will be armed and I don't care what they all say about them protecting you, I wanted to be sure I could protect myself. Ours had a 454 Casull. Alaska recognizes all other states permits. Just don't make a big deal of carrying.

Are you going to fly fish? That's the "manly" way to fight a 40 pound King imho. We used light-weight 6 wt tackle fo our 6 days of wildnerness finshing and the experience was fanastic. Make sure you bring a spare rod!!!! (We broke 2)

In the end, you'll be able to bring home about 50 pounds of fresh Salmon, frozen so it'll keep until you get back. My wife and I both brought back 50 pounds (100 total) and we were everyone's best friends for a while.

Email me directly if you'd like so photos or need any other info. Anchorage was a bit of a disappointmet to us. At 5pm, the sidewalks roll up and the weirdos take over. During the day it was ok but there is a very noticable rift between the local indians and the residents there. It's palpable.

Rome

i cant wait.....ive been saving every (almost) nickle for the trip, my cousin, whos bring me works for United Air, so were getting a great deal on airfare. Still shopping for new fishing gear, but Ive never been able to pick up fly fishing. Tough to master after you "clear out" the cooler for fish.

centermass181 said:
Im gonna need new guns for my fishing trip.
this is great!

A gentleman came into the shop wanting to buy a S&W.500 4" version to go fishing in Alaska after reading about it in a fishing magazine. He had never shot a firearm in his life. He planned on buying it right then except he didn't realize that he had to apply for a permit first.

Could you imagine never shooting a gun in your entire life, then running into a Grizzly bear and having to pull out a 4"barreled S&W.500 to defend yourself?

I told him odds are he'd scare the bear away from the report, then need 911 assistance from the concussion and busted forehead he'd get from the recoil and muzzle flip.

you guys hear about the kid who shot his dad's/uncle's 454 casull, and hit himself in the noggin so hard he killed himself?

I could see that happening with this guy.

Sheesh, a 4" .500. that'll git er done.

The guides in Alaska laughed at anyone that carried anything less than a .454 casull. They said to make sure you left one round in the mag because after you "annoyed" the bear with the first 6 rounds, you'll want to use the last one on yourself before you were eaten!

After seeing some of the big beasts relatively close up, I can understand what they meant.

The guides up there are all properly trained and armed but I didn't take anything for granted and had my Para Ordnance P13-45 with hollowpoints just in case I found myself alone for some reason. Can't be too careful, ya know.

Rome

Para Ordnance P13-45 with hollowpoints
Against a brown bear any handgun is rather weak. If your only choice is .45 ACP, I certainly would not be using hollowpoints. Not enough penetration against a bear. I'd suggest FMJ instead.[/quote]

I think the recommended technique is roughly the same as was used with the old Howdah pistols in India. If a tiger attacks you and your elephant, you pull the pistol and cock it. Then you hand it to the tiger and invite him to use it if he's got the stones. The tiger either slinks off in embarassment or fires the pistol, thus killing himself.

Ken

KMaurer said:
I think the recommended technique is roughly the same as was used with the old Howdah pistols in India. If a tiger attacks you and your elephant, you pull the pistol and cock it. Then you hand it to the tiger and invite him to use it if he's got the stones. The tiger either slinks off in embarassment or fires the pistol, thus killing himself.

Ken

[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

SO....I know you guys noticed I was gone.......but Im back.

detailed reports to follow:
ALASKA060.jpg

ALASKA063.jpg

ALASKA036.jpg

ALASKA007.jpg

ALASKA042.jpg

ALASKA055.jpg

500 4" is an amazing piece.

163504_large.jpg

Here is a piece of heavy 1/2" armor plate hit at 25 yards.

500MagnumHits.jpg

I posted a full review in THIS thread.

African story with pics HERE

I certainly would not recommend a 500 as your 'first' experience with a pistol. Heck, there are still a lot of people who think a .45 1911 kicks too hard.

Fly fishing isn't too hard to learn. But you need to practice. I find Blue Northern Trading Post in Ayer on Rt 110 West of 495 are pretty good at giving the basics. Gawd I miss Hortons in Framingham. Have not been to Alaska, but had a great trip fishing the Snake River just south of Yellowstone in Wyoming a few years back. Beautiful country out there too. [/url]

Back
Top Bottom