First Trip to the Range

This may not warrant a new thread but I was pretty excited about it so I figured I'd post.

I took a trip to an outdoor range today with the instructor of the firearm safety course at a nearby a gun shop. He was gracious enough to do this for a small fee because I told him how much I felt I needed some one-on-one instruction (my gun safety course did not include live fire and I have zero experience with guns).

He brought a small .38 revolver, Ruger SR9, and the M & P .45. I fired the .38 first and managed somehow to miss the target all five times. haha. Tough gun to shoot for me.

Thankfully, things got significantly better with the semi-automatics and I think I did pretty well for my first time shooting. I found the M & P easier to shoot and more accurate for me than the SR9. I may be purchasing one at some point(though I might go with the 9 mm or .40 version).

That's all. [smile]

Welcome, jds! That first time is an experience for sure. Your taste will change over time most probably - but the "flavors" are great no matter what!! [grin]

Welcome and CONGRATULATIONS on being smart enough to recognize you wanted and needed some chaperoned live fire experience!

This is a great place to be.

Congrats and welcome! Don't worry about the 5-shot .38 - if it was a snubbie, it's more of a Shooting 201 (or Shooting 301) level handgun if you want accuracy.

I'm sure folks will chime in to get a .22 for training & practice (Shooting 101) and I think that is sound advice.

This may not warrant a new thread but I was pretty excited about it so I figured I'd post.

I took a trip to an outdoor range today with the instructor of the firearm safety course at a nearby a gun shop. He was gracious enough to do this for a small fee because I told him how much I felt I needed some one-on-one instruction (my gun safety course did not include live fire and I have zero experience with guns).

He brought a small .38 revolver, Ruger SR9, and the M & P .45. I fired the .38 first and managed somehow to miss the target all five times. haha. Tough gun to shoot for me.

Thankfully, things got significantly better with the semi-automatics and I think I did pretty well for my first time shooting. I found the M & P easier to shoot and more accurate for me than the SR9. I may be purchasing one at some point(though I might go with the 9 mm or .40 version).

That's all. [smile]

Hey, congrats! Sounds like a good time. My first time shooting was in my Basic Pistol class at an indoor range a couple of months ago. I too was pretty inaccurate with a .38 snubby, but found the M&P 40 (compact) pretty easy shoot. Fortunately for me, my instructor has quite the collection of guns and I got to try a bunch (Including a Ruger MK (.22 cal), which was really fun to shoot. For all the hype surrounding Glocks, I was not impressed with it. I think it was the G19 model (9mm), not sure which generation. I didn't really like the way it felt in my hand and I wasn't as accurate with it as the M&P 40c. Once a get my LTC (hopefully somewhat soon), I plan to get the M&P 40c. A lot of people on this forum like it. Congrats again and welcome to the forum.

I'll add my congrats for recognizing that you'd benefit from hands on.

Lots of folks rush out and just buy a gun they like the looks of or think is 'the right one' and end up having regrets.

I think that if you like the M&P .45, you'll love the 9mm and the .40 which, IMHO, have better triggers. The smaller calibers can also be bought now with a thumb safety, if you liked that aspect of the .45.

Welcome!

Thanks everyone.

This forum is great.

MA-LTC has been recieved.

NH & ME non-res have both been sent out (my wife and I vacation in Well Beach, ME so I want to be covered on our trips up there).

From reading the forum I know I am in for a long wait with both places but we don't plan on going again until October anyway.

Thanks again for the support.

Thanks everyone.

This forum is great.

MA-LTC has been recieved.

NH & ME non-res have both been sent out (my wife and I vacation in Well Beach, ME so I want to be covered on our trips up there).

From reading the forum I know I am in for a long wait with both places but we don't plan on going again until October anyway.

Thanks again for the support.

It's all over now![laugh] Welcome to NES (Never Enough Scratch)[smile]
Just wait till you shoot a 1911!
The people here are some of the best I've ever met/associated with. Tons of good info.

Back
Top Bottom