• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First time shooting new AR. Multiple FTFs

What he said: I never use the forward assist. It was designed when the Army cheaped out on surplus 5.56 and had trouble chambering on earlier versions of the M16. If you need the forward assist then you really have other issues to address.

Swapping out a carbine spring, buffer, & tube with a rifle length setup contradicts the timing of your gas tube. The system works as a whole so if you want to swap for a longer buffer tube, you need to compensate for that. The timing between your bolt and the next round appears to be off.

Bring it back to as-produced config and re-test. If it works then we can figure out how to mount the new stock. Is it a PRS that you mounted?
[laugh2] what he said. What is barrel and gas tube length?

What i would have done is got the longest collapsible carbine stock, one that had the option of replaceable buttpads, and double or tripled them up... and pinned it.

Im a small guy, so i prefer the the couple stocks that are collapsible to " entry length".. fully extended there perfect for me... i ran into problems kindof like your having but for the exact opposite reason.

I trim springs, use spacers(or quarters down the buffer tube) and several hack techniques to dial in any setup thats not quite right.

I wouldnt worry im confident if you meet up with big blue he'll get you straitened out.
Since this is your first ar. It'll be a good learning experience....

Before you know it youll have several ARs and experienced a large array of malfunctions/****ups

It can be a big part of the fun tinkering with them...but i get frustrated if it takes more than a few range trips to have it dialed in.

Just another thing to check. I saw three ARs at the last NES shoot with feeding problems that were related to barrels with feed ramps that were not deburred.

Just another thing to check. I saw three ARs at the last NES shoot with feeding problems that were related to barrels with feed ramps that were not deburred.

I also gave WW a pass on mixing ramped lower w a non ramped bbl but this is possible.

I was thinking this. The rounds seemed to be hanging up there. I need to pay more attention next time it happens.

If you have an iPhone, the slow motion video is actually quite useful for diagnosing problems (with both the shooter & the gun).

I was thinking this. The rounds seemed to be hanging up there. I need to pay more attention next time it happens.

If it is that, take a photo i'd like to see it..ive never seen this in person.

Is this somthing that wears in or has to be stoned off?

I used CLP when I cleaned and lubed it. But, like I said, that was some time ago. Seems like my next move is to clean and lube it up good, then take it out for another test drive.

- - - Updated - - -

That at should be easy enough to do

You just need to lube it correctly.

I changed out the stock, buffer tube and buffer to a rifle stock. It's a Magpul Stock. I honestly couldn't tell you what the spring and tube brand is. I'd have to dig that up. The mag was seated.

Just double checking, you're using a rifle spring and rifle buffer in a rifle stock right? (I.e. not a carbine spring)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

What he said: I never use the forward assist. It was designed when the Army cheaped out on surplus 5.56 and had trouble chambering on earlier versions of the M16. If you need the forward assist then you really have other issues to address.

Swapping out a carbine spring, buffer, & tube with a rifle length setup contradicts the timing of your gas tube. The system works as a whole so if you want to swap for a longer buffer tube, you need to compensate for that. The timing between your bolt and the next round appears to be off.

Bring it back to as-produced config and re-test. If it works then we can figure out how to mount the new stock. Is it a PRS that you mounted?

Your off on a few things .
The buffer and gas system aren't really linked . I've shot all different gas systems on carbine and rifle length stocks. Rifle / mid length / Carbine / and pistol length gas system on carbine and rifle length buffer setups . The buffer size , weight and spring are matched so it Doesn't smash in to the rear .
You can run a super light buffer /bolt , or super heavy on any length gas system. You just need to be able to allow more gas for heavier or less for lighter .

All parts in the stock need to match . Tube / spring/buffer can be mixed .

From the sounds of it he needs to lube the bolt surface(the part that's inside the carrier ) and can pin area more since it's hanging up full rotating when locked .
I've gotten bolts from big name companies that where super stiff and ones that flop around .

Last edited:
Your off on a few things .
The buffer and gas system are t really linked . I've shot all different gas systems on carbine and rifle length stocks. Rifle / mid length / Carbine / and pistol length gas system on carbine and rifle length buffer setups . The buffer size , weight and spring are matched so it Doesn't smash in to the rear .
You can run a super light buffer /bolt , or super heavy on any length gas system. You just need to be able to allow more gas for heavier or less for lighter .

All parts in the stock need to match . Tube / spring/buffer can be mixed .

From the sounds of it he needs to lube the bolt surface(the part that's inside the carrier ) and can pin area more since it's hanging up full rotating when locked .
I've gotten bolts from big name companies that where super stiff and ones that flop around .

Yeah Ben, thus the adjustable gas block discussion.

I got to throw this out there and i know ill get flamed for it.
I dont like my ar loaded with lube or even "wet".
By all means do it for the break in or whatever. But depending on your choice of lube and amount used..it just collects alot of shit either sand or unburn powder/carbon that would normally be ejected from the gun or just fall out.

You can have too much of a good thing... but sure if you find yourself at the range and its dirty or unlubed give it a shot of CLP

Last edited:
How does one improperly install a rifle buffer tube and spring? that's about the most basic part of the system.

Rifle buffer in a carbine tube.
carbine buffer in a rifle tube.
any combination with the wrong spring.

Its been covered here, but my suggestion is to thoroughly clean, paying attention to the chamber, and lube, paying attention to the bolt cam pin and rings.

He said HSA. Is that harvard or hopkinton? Plenty of knowledgeable folks at both clubs, find someone shooting an AR and talk

Yeah Ben, thus the adjustable gas block discussion.

Any length gas system with the correct gas port hole size for that length gas systems , will work with any buffer systems . You don't need to use a adjustable gas block for those . If you want to run a lighten carrier or heavier you'll need a adjustable gas block and for heavier you max at a point since your gas port can only be open up so much .

The bolt reward force is roughly the same regardless of the gas tube length.

Dwell time is a different story and that's related to gas port position and length of barrel.

I got to throw this out there and i know ill get flamed for it.
I dont like my ar loaded with lube or even "wet".
By all means do it for the break in or whatever. But depending on your choice of lube and amount used..it just collects alot of shit either sand or unburn powder/carbon that would normally be ejected from the gun or just fall out.

You can have too much of a good thing... but sure if you find yourself at the range and its dirty or unlubed give it a shot of CLP

Says the guys who brings 5,000 rounds to a shoot and says it isn't enough.

Hey alittle lube can go a long way. But now Im wondering if the little wear on my bolt and carrier is from not running it wet.. not the 60 or 70,000 rounds through it.* rolls eyes*

Last edited:
Just double checking, you're using a rifle spring and rifle buffer in a rifle stock right? (I.e. not a carbine spring)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

This was my thought as well. OP mentioned a few times changing Stock, Tube, and buffer, but not that he swapped the carbine buffer spring for a rifle buffer spring.

This was my thought as well. OP mentioned a few times changing Stock, Tube, and buffer, but not that he swapped the carbine buffer spring for a rifle buffer spring.

Yes. That is correct. I put a rifle buffer tube, rifle buffer and rifle buffer spring, inside a rifle stock. Without the A2 spacer and with the shorter screw that came with the stock.

Yes. That is correct. I put a rifle buffer tube, rifle buffer and rifle buffer spring, inside a rifle stock. Without the A2 spacer and with the shorter screw that came with the stock.

You could try using your you rifle stock, rifle buffer tube, the A2 spacer.. and the buffer and spring that came with the rifle. That should be the same as the factory setup.....

Clean lube inspect.. and start playing around

You could try using your you rifle stock, rifle buffer tube, the A2 spacer.. and the buffer and spring that came with the rifle. That should be the same as the factory setup.....

Clean lube inspect.. and start playing around

No. Just no. The A2 spacer goes on the end of the stock, not inside. Using a carbine buffer in a rifle tube is not the same as the factory setup.

You could put a spacer in the rifle tube to shorten the effective length, but that's not what an A2 spacer is for.

Back
Top Bottom