• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First time shooting new AR. Multiple FTFs

Yes. That is correct. I put a rifle buffer tube, rifle buffer and rifle buffer spring, inside a rifle stock. Without the A2 spacer and with the shorter screw that came with the stock.

I misunderstood your previous post; I thought you kept the stock spring & buffer but added a rifle tube...

Ben says the rifle spring & buffer have almost the same resistance as the carbine spring & buffer. If they all match then pour a bottle of Mobil One on it and break the ****er in.

If it still short strokes, go back to the stock setup.

If that short strokes too then you will have to deal with the gas port. Hopefully it never comes to that.

My mistake. When i googled the term a2 spacer i came up with this and that thats what he was talking about.

Got an AR-15 that uses a rifle length buffer tube but really want to use your ST-T2 or ST-T3 buffer? Fret no more; The Spike's Tactical ST-T0 Spacer is here to solve your problem!

The ST-T0 is a machined aluminum billet cylinder with a black anodized finish that you place inside of your rifle length buffer tube before you throw in your carbine buffer and carbine buffer spring allowing you to use your favorite ST buffer with your A2, A1, and Magpul PRS equipped guns!

Ive had rifle stocks come with the internal spacer.i think his should work as is though.. just giving him some options

I use a nylon spacer in my AR9mm buffer tubes to limit overtravel due to the shorter bolt. Same concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For some reason when i order from slash's heavybuffers.com. i always recieve random spacers even though i don't select the option. Can't complain they've come in handy

Yes. That is correct. I put a rifle buffer tube, rifle buffer and rifle buffer spring, inside a rifle stock. Without the A2 spacer and with the shorter screw that came with the stock.

Ok so you have a rifle or standard A2 extension/tube rifle buffer and spring....but didn't use the extension but used the shorter screw? So what stock did you install? If the short screw fit must be A1 length stock no.

Look at the rear of your buffer...the plastic piece. Is it getting beat up.

I'm no expert but I have swapped out my rifle uppers and carbine uppers with "carbine" set ups on lowers and rifle set ups....never had a problem. I don't mix parts though.
If anything the carbine length gas system slams the carbine buffer set up more than my rifle set up.

Sounds like something simple . I'm not a fan of running ARs "wet" I don't think that was in stoners design plan.
Light lube yes... for me running them to wet just attract that much more nasty shit when the gas tube pukes into the reciever/gas key.

I misunderstood your previous post; I thought you kept the stock spring & buffer but added a rifle tube...

Ben says the rifle spring & buffer have almost the same resistance as the carbine spring & buffer. If they all match then pour a bottle of Mobil One on it and break the ****er in.

If it still short strokes, go back to the stock setup.

If that short strokes too then you will have to deal with the gas port. Hopefully it never comes to that.

From what I see, short stroking isn't the issue. It ejects fine, locks back fine and grabs the next round. It jambs up there and won't put the round in the chamber.

Ok so you have a rifle or standard A2 extension/tube rifle buffer and spring....but didn't use the extension but used the shorter screw? So what stock did you install? If the short screw fit must be A1 length stock no.

Look at the rear of your buffer...the plastic piece. Is it getting beat up.

I'm no expert but I have swapped out my rifle uppers and carbine uppers with "carbine" set ups on lowers and rifle set ups....never had a problem. I don't mix parts though.
If anything the carbine length gas system slams the carbine buffer set up more than my rifle set up.

Sounds like something simple . I'm not a fan of running ARs "wet" I don't think that was in stoners design plan.
Light lube yes... for me running them to wet just attract that much more nasty shit when the gas tube pukes into the reciever/gas key.

I put the Magpul MOE rifle stock. It's about a half inch shorter than the OEM A2 stock. The buffer kit comes with the spacer and longer screw. The Magpul stock came with a screw that was about 3/4 inch shorter.

My mistake. When i googled the term a2 spacer i came up with this and that thats what he was talking about.

Got an AR-15 that uses a rifle length buffer tube but really want to use your ST-T2 or ST-T3 buffer? Fret no more; The Spike's Tactical ST-T0 Spacer is here to solve your problem!

The ST-T0 is a machined aluminum billet cylinder with a black anodized finish that you place inside of your rifle length buffer tube before you throw in your carbine buffer and carbine buffer spring allowing you to use your favorite ST buffer with your A2, A1, and Magpul PRS equipped guns!

Ive had rifle stocks come with the internal spacer.i think his should work as is though.. just giving him some options

I was actually just looking at this. It seems like I can mimic the stock configuration and keep my rifle stock. If I can get tha right dimensions, I think I can probably get a lighter one of these at Home Depot for only a few bucks.

How likely is it a lubrication issue or the buffer? I want to try one thing at a time. So I know what does or doesn't fix it. I just removed the bcg. Seemed pretty dry

Lube, because NES says so. I never "lube", my rifle gets cleaned after few thousand rounds. If your rifle is dripping lube then you are doing it wrong.

Well, I just came from HSA. Actually still sitting here while I type this. I cleaned it up and lubed it last night. Not dripping, not wet, but not dry either. Ran 60 rounds of M855 and 30 rounds of AR M193 through it with zero malfunctions. I know 90 rounds does not constitute "fixed" but it's a start. I really should be at work right now. Lol.

Well, I just came from HSA. Actually still sitting here while I type this. I cleaned it up and lubed it last night. Not dripping, not wet, but not dry either. Ran 60 rounds of M855 and 30 rounds of AR M193 through it with zero malfunctions. I know 90 rounds does not constitute "fixed" but it's a start. I really should be at work right now. Lol.

Most likly the bolt was a tight fit to the carrier and needed to be lubed in broken in .

My buddy bought a brand new Bushmaster and came up to my range to sight it in. The first couple hundred rounds he had some problems with feeding.

We tried different mags (even my brand new high cap felony mags) and eventually it broke in.

The next hundred or so cycled fine and since then he has had no problems.

Maybe there is a break in period?

From what I see, short stroking isn't the issue. It ejects fine, locks back fine and grabs the next round. It jambs up there and won't put the round in the chamber.

How about the little O ring? I think that is to help the ejector? Maybe it it hitting the last round as it comes out. This sounds familiar.

Never mind. Sounds like break-in.

On "lubing", I always thought you just lube generously, then wipe down until just a fine film is left. This is true of guns, or most anything else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom