• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Time Shooters - What to bring to the range?

Bring Necco wafers, those are fun to shoot when they become proficient.
They're like tiny clay pigeons...

iu
Kinda small target but good idea.
Start them on 12” steel at reasonable distance.
Ringing steel much more satisfying than a hole in paper and no need to hit the bullseye to have fun.

Late add: I recently added a Henry 22LR Even long time shooters love them a cowboy rifle plus it’s more controlled - one shot until they work the lever

Yeah, I use these a 50 feet with irons. Fun as hell.

I always start out new shooters with a single round at at time until I see how they are. Then two...then three
I respect this, and it is the tried and true safety regimen. But I have found that youngsters have the attention span of brick, sometimes. And a few of them have been down right insulted with a similar approach. One of the reasons I like the Henry is that it essentially offers one round at a time, and while they are cycling the rifle, I can offer encouragement and reminders, while standing over their shoulder, close enough to stop muzzle sweep. I can also run 22 quiets for the first magazine so that with just foamies, we can converse. Most of the kids I have taken really enjoy the Golden Boy.

When we switch to handguns, I go out of my way to remind them that new shooters will often unconsciously pivot with a loaded firearm, especially hand guns, and to not be that guy.

Bolt-action .22 rimfire rifle. Let the young men learn riflecraft the correct way and make each shot count.
I should pick up a 22 bolt gun, just for those kids that want to really get into it. But most of the kids I have taken were kids that had been brought up playing first person shooter games, usually with their Dad, and they get bored very quickly. Safety is always job one, but I also want them to have a great time and be begging to go again.

As I’m sure was mentioned above, kids love reactive targets and we are all kids at heart.

Clay pigeons, water bottles, balloons, shaving cream cans and the like.

Bob

I wish I could find a club that would let you do this. I am pretty much restricted to paper targets and steel. Kinda sucks.

I respect this, and it is the tried and true safety regimen. But I have found that youngsters have the attention span of brick, sometimes. And a few of them have been down right insulted with a similar approach. One of the reasons I like the Henry is that it essentially offers one round at a time, and while they are cycling the rifle, I can offer encouragement and reminders, while standing over their shoulder, close enough to stop muzzle sweep. I can also run 22 quiets for the first magazine so that with just foamies, we can converse. Most of the kids I have taken really enjoy the Golden Boy.

Good point. I haven’t run into that issue but I will keep it in mind.

Bob

When children are present on the firing line, they are allowed to be there because they are capable of behaving like adults. Of course, I watch them like a hawk, and keep them separate from the guns and ammunition when they are out of arms reach, but I do not treat them like children. I address them like competent and capable people, and if they don't behave that way, then they are done shooting for the day. Same rules also apply for adults.

Now I do believe that everyone should have some fun, and I am not out to make shooting boring, but if you have no attention span, then its cap guns for you. The focus of the first day needs to be on safety. And it is an important lesson that actual shooting is not like a video game or an action movie.

With all of that said, the rule about one round per magazine is particularly for semi-autos. With first time shooters, semi-autos are sort of an accident waiting to happen. A manual action is far preferable for the first time, since if someone has a startled or clumsy reaction to the shot, they are not already holding a live gun. With a manual action, I would still start with one round, but I might move to several rounds in the magazine after only about three single shots.

I really like the Henry lever action for beginners. It is much safer than a semi-auto, but is also lots of fun for shooters of all levels. The fact that it will feed quiet rounds is just an extra bonus. I would always prefer that beginners start with lever or bolt action .22 rifles, and then a .22 revolver, but often those firearms are not available. If the first shots need to be done on a semi-auto, then one round at a time keeps everyone safe. And if children are insulted by the single rounds, then maybe they need to see me teach an adult beginner first. I always start adults with one round at a time too.

Back
Top Bottom