• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Time Shooters - What to bring to the range?

This weekend I will have the privilege of introducing a dad and his two teenage sons to shooting. They have never shot a gun before. I can't wait. However, I am kind of torn about what to bring.

Obviously safety is priority, but of course I want to them to have a fun time too.

What say you, stick to the rifles or should I bring some handguns too? Shotgun?

Since they've never shot before I'd start with 22's. Either Rifle or pistol is fine. I'd bring what you've got and let them decide if they want to work their way up to higher calibers or not. I'd also bring steel or other interactive targets to make it more exciting than just paper. If you have trap, skeet, five stand or sporting clays available for them to try they'd probably enjoy that. Just make sure with the steel that it's set up properly so none comes back and hit them cause that could turn them off. Good for you to be introducing them to shooting!

Last edited:
Having never used a gun....22. handgun and rifle both in 22.

Bring em back another day for bigger stuff if they like it.

Also.....don't being a ton of different guns. It just gets too confusing 2 or 3 guns is plenty

Another vote for .22, I have a tricked out 10/22 that makes them giggle every time. The easier you make it for them to shoot, the more hits they make, the more hits they make the more fun the have, the more fun they have the more guns they want to shoot.

safety glasses, hearing protection, shirts that button to the collar, long sleeves, baseball cap

22LR pistol with ONE ROUND IN THE MAGAZINE UNTIL YOU ARE SURE OF TRIGGER DICIPLINE, no sweeping, downrange direction, not going over the berm or hitting roof.

clear weapon, how to place on bench with open action or flagged, tap, rack & roll

once they have learned safety, trigger discipline, and sight picture... and they are getting on target, then you can go with loaded mags.

once they are proficient in 22LR, try a revolver with a single round or a 9 or 40 with single rounds, if they demonstrate they can handle the weapon, additional rounds in the mag can be allowed.

Last edited:
Bring Necco wafers, those are fun to shoot when they become proficient.
They're like tiny clay pigeons...

iu

.22, pistol & rifle. Bring a 9mm full sized handgun and .38 full sized revolver if things progress beyond that. Give them an orientation off-range, show them the guns, allow them to handle/dry fire before they start firing live rounds on the range. For their first shot, load one round only just in case they freak out/drop/mishandle after they pull the trigger the first time.

I'll be in the small minority that says go all out, within reason. Have them leave in awe.

I've brought maybe 3 or 4 groups of brand new newbs of both genders to the range since getting my license. All of them have left with a smile on their face and a memorable experience.

Obviously they're not gonna become good shooters in one day so I think the goal should be maximal wow factor over what they can only shoot accurately. I had a 90lb girl go from a .22 to 9 to 45 to AR and finish with a pump 12 gauge all in one day, maybe even 357, can't remember. It boosted her confidence so much, especially after I did nothing but overprepare her for the recoil of the shotgun.

Some may never shoot a gun again but wanna feel what its like so screw it, show them a good time. If you're like me, you're gonna be equally hands on about their safety whether its a .22 or an AK so not much changes. All of them talked about the differences between calibers on the way home but not one regretted trying the bigger stuff.

Not all brand new shooters are going to enjoy an m1 garand. Some sure.....but some will hate it and be turned off to shooting right away
I think most are turned off by larger rifles because they are not presented to the rifle well.
Prone with a nice big sand bag for support of the front arm.
Sitting them at a bench to shoot puts them in poor position for recoil. Standing is even better than sitting at a bench.

I would not discount bringing an AR and a Garand. If they do well with the 22, there is nothing wrong with having them try an AR, and if they do well with it then a Garand. I know that when I started, I was excited about the big guns. In fact, my first time shooting a rifle (maybe 3 years ago?) was a Garand. Im not saying do that, but if they do well and enjoy the 22, have the option of something different.

I took a friend shooting who had never shot before. I brought an AR and a 1911 9mm. He did great, and loved it.

.22 lr pistol and rifle. I would bring along a 9mm and/or .45 pistol for them to try at the end of the session if they seem capable. The higher calibers will help to emphasize the need of the shooting basics.

Back
Top Bottom