First post, Enfield help

Hey guys, new poster here from Plattsburgh, NY. I have a question about my "US PROPERTY" Savage 1942 MK1 No.4 Enfield. I got it from my uncle who got it from an older friend, who was a WWII vet, Not sure where/when he served. But every other no.4 Mk1 I see has a flat tab on the back of the firing pin setup, where mine is more rounded, looks more like a nagant setup than an enfield one. here is a pic of mine (sorry for the junk photo)
105_0968.jpg
Does anyone know whats up, here? And the synthetic stock was on it when I got it [sad]

Last edited:
In wider terms, it means someone who defaces (some call it "sporterizing") a perfectly sound surplus military firearm.

It is hard to see from your pic.

Could be the older style cocking knob which was mostly found on earlier No1 MkIII's

Does it look like this?
ler_0132-29.JPG

Many are used to seeing the newer style...which were replaced on many older SMLE's when they went through FTR...like this.

I dont remember the exact date of switchover though

ler_0120-28.JPG

Now that picture above with the rounded knob is a No4...but an early Savage one. Note its a No4Mk1 with no *. Is yours a No4mk1 or a No4Mk1*

Its been a long time since I researched Enfields in depth, but if that is the cocking knob you see its very possible it may even be correct on yours. If it is it then worst case is that it was just replaced but not bubba'd

Edit:

Actually a quick preliminary read around the net so far indicates that the round cocking knob can be/is correct for early Savage produced Enfields

Last edited:
Nice, I'd never even seen one before (or more likely never noticed. Enfields are not my area of expertise)

However, the gun has clearly still been bubba'ed.

However, the gun has clearly still been bubba'ed.

A synthetic butt stock hardly spells bubba.

Now if the original wood stock has been cut down and the front sight has been replaced by a washer with a screw welded to it, thats bubba.

Could be that OP has a rifle that could easily be returned to original config like Majspud has done with his K98s. In this case, its a US Savage were dealing with and it could wind up being a very valuable and easy to track down a few replacement parts.

I dont remember the exact date of switchover though

Nominally 1915 when they switched from the No. 1 Mk III to the Mk III*, but the individual British factories used the old parts until they were out, so lots of Mk III*s have Mk III features like the round cocking pieces. (Like mine, for instance, which is why I know this.)

How that ended up on a US-built gun a generation later is another question entirely; it surely wasn't original, but maybe could have been some arsenal rebuild somewhere along the line...?

Thanks for the information, guys. I do appreciate it. I wish i could take a non-blurry picture but i'm not too good with a camera. My enfield, I assume is a No4MK1 as far as I know, there is no asterik behind it. JD, it is definently the round knob, btw. And liked I said the gun was sporterized long before I got it, I would never do something like that, I'd love to re-stock it and make it pretty but I got other projects and I gotta get motivated first. The gun shoots awesome as it is right now with the factory sights its downright amazing what a 60+ year old battle rifle (not sure if mine went through battle) can do.

You may be able to find a complete stock set off e bay for a Savage No4. Every now and then I come across adds on various WTS forums for complete stock sets, and on e bay. If I find one I'll PM you the source.

With some reading from Surplusrifle.com on disassembly of the rifle and a new stock, you could have a nice original rifle on your hands.[wink]

They are not very difficult to take apart, but they do take some time. You'll need a long screw driver to get the butt off of the receiver.

I'll have to look at mine, but I think all of the Savages were marked as No4 Mk1*.

Numrich has a lot of parts and might have complete furniture sets. Sarco is another place to look for Enfield parts.

A synthetic butt stock hardly spells bubba.

I don't know, even if the rest of the rifle is complete (like my 1917 was when I first got it, just a sporter stock) it hurts my eyes to see it that way.

You should see what my concept for one of my stripped M1 carbine receivers is... Think either urban camo or Bloomberg edition Duracoat, synthetic stock, multiple rails, flash suppressor as the one evil feature, etc etc...

It's a Plainfield though, not a USGI, so it's OK [smile]

Nominally 1915 when they switched from the No. 1 Mk III to the Mk III*, but the individual British factories used the old parts until they were out, so lots of Mk III*s have Mk III features like the round cocking pieces. (Like mine, for instance, which is why I know this.)

How that ended up on a US-built gun a generation later is another question entirely; it surely wasn't original, but maybe could have been some arsenal rebuild somewhere along the line...?

I had an idea as I have a 1916 and 1918 MkIII's with rounded cocking pieces
I just didn't know when it was official

Further searches indicate that the rounded or "button" style would be correct for very early Brit No 4's and early Long Branch and Savage No4's and I dont think its the same part as a No1 rounded cocking piece.

Burntrubber, is it matching?
Did they leave the front and rear sights alone as far as you can see? Did someone drill and tap for a scope? Thats were I think a big line is crossed into Bubbadom.

With a little patience, work and some parts you could bring her back to her former glory

Well, like I said the actual front sight blade is the factory one, the sides were removed for some reason, and last year I put a B-square no-gunsmithing scope mount on it. And the b-square mount is a peice of garbage, don't ever get one. So I took it off and put the factory sights back on it. And if by matching you mean the bolt # and receiver # match, then yes. Also, I looked at some stocks, I like the looks and price of the e-gunparts walnut set. Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom