first handgun opinions please

dukefan70

NES Member
1. Looking for something cheaper to shoot than .45 so I can get good with it.
2. Something I can carry when I want.
3. Open to revolver or auto suggestions (preferably higher than 5 rd. capacity, but don't hesitate to suggest it nevertheless).
4. Price range up to $600, but if I can get something reliable more economically I'll take it.

Much obliged.

My first hangun purchase was an M&P 9c, besides having to get used to the MA trigger pull no problems whatsoever, its functioned flawlessly for me and I've seen them on sale in the FS section for around $450, you should expect to pay around $520 brand new and I'm not sure if they're still running the promotion but I also got two free magazines with mine. My suggestion would also be to get it in the .40 version, they offer interchangeable barrels if you ever wanted to switch it to a 9mm, if I had known at the time I would have got the .40

Dukefan - I would go to a public range (Bobs in Salisbury MA or Manchester Firing Line, Manchester NH) and rent and try as many guns as you can afford until you start to see what you like, what fits your hand good, etc. Short of that, go to a gun shop and actually pick up a bunch of guns and see what feels good in your hand. None of us keyboard commandos can "tell" you which will be a good fit for you.

That being said - you may want to start with a .22 for cheap practice. A Sig or 1911 with .22 conversion would be AWESOME, this way you get to practice with the .22 with the pistol you're going to carry for self defense, but might be more than you're willing to spend. Just remember, if you do this, its like getting 2 guns in 1 [grin].

You can't go wrong with a M&P because of the interchangeable grips, you just need to work in around 80-100$ for a trigger job. M&Ps are solid guns (I have one!). You might be persuaded to look at glocks, they'll run great for you too, just make sure you don't just hold one gun before you buy! I'm assuming you're in MA - if you are in one of our free states, go with a Springfield xD!

Yes I do live in MA unfortunately so no Springers for me. My father owns a MP45 and yeah it is a great gun. Zarathustra and dagwag, either of you have any idea what that extra 9mm barrel would cost on top of the MP40? And is the MP40 the only MP that has that interchangeable option?

the Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel for the M&P runs anywhere from around $100-$120 I believe, I think there is also a .357 barrel conversion as well but not positive

You can only go down in caliber, so in the 40 you can drop in a 357 sig barrel or 9mm barrel, but you cant go up from 9mm to 40.

The conversion barrel is 119$ (http://www.gunbarrelsupply.com/item/75899_Storm_Lake_Barrels__Choke_Tubes_Barrel__Smith__Wesson_M.aspx) you might be able to google and find others, this was just the first one I found. Just remember, you'll need to get 9mm mags as well.

the Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel for the M&P runs anywhere from around $100-$120 I believe, I think there is also a .357 barrel conversion as well but not positive

there is. check the link above.

You can also get a .22 conversion kit for glocks, check out a company called advantage arms, but I think theyre on wicked backorder...and go for around $225

Last edited:
Dukefan - I would go to a public range (Bobs in Salisbury MA or Manchester Firing Line, Manchester NH) and rent and try as many guns as you can afford until you start to see what you like, what fits your hand good, etc. Short of that, go to a gun shop and actually pick up a bunch of guns and see what feels good in your hand. None of us keyboard commandos can "tell" you which will be a good fit for you.

That being said - you may want to start with a .22 for cheap practice. A Sig or 1911 with .22 conversion would be AWESOME, this way you get to practice with the .22 with the pistol you're going to carry for self defense, but might be more than you're willing to spend. Just remember, if you do this, its like getting 2 guns in 1 [grin].

You can't go wrong with a M&P because of the interchangeable grips, you just need to work in around 80-100$ for a trigger job. M&Ps are solid guns (I have one!). You might be persuaded to look at glocks, they'll run great for you too, just make sure you don't just hold one gun before you buy! I'm assuming you're in MA - if you are in one of our free states, go with a Springfield xD!

Good idea. I rented quite a few before i picked one. Went with the SR9 because it felt good in my hand and was within my budget.

I would heartily recommend buying a relatively inexpensive quality 22 target pistol ($200-$300, but I live in a free state). Then, when you buy ammo for the 22 look at the price of 9mm or whatever else you considered, put the difference in the piggy bank for gun #2, and enjoy the 22. It won't be too long until you have a nice amount saved up for gun #2, your skills will have improved, and you'll better know what you're looking for in the next one. :D You can keep shopping for #2, and when you're ready to decide you just might have the $$$ already!

I know the 22 doesn't fit the carry plan, but its hard to make one tool do multiple jobs. Get the right tools for the job, and then you'll be happy in each instance. A middle of the road choice will leave you with still pricey ammo and potentially a smaller caliber than you would prefer to carry. Or you'll find something that makes you wonderfully happy for both. If so, more power to you!

I am still saving up for my first gun so I am in the same situation as you. I would recommend the Baretta 92FS. It comes with a great trigger (compared to the MP), reliable and accurate. Its not that big of a gun and with the right holster can be concealed easily. Four Seasons has them brand new for 580 so its right around the price your looking for. I'll picking one of these up next weekend after I get my paycheck.

Edit: I also beleive they have a .22 conversion for this gun but Im not positive

Definitely something in 38/357 or 9mm if you prefer an auto. .45 isn't just more expensive, it's also more difficult to learn with. I would have suggested a 22 if you hadn't said you wanted something you could carry for self defense.

For autos I would definitely suggest the Beretta 92fs as it's a solid, reliable and easy to shoot gun that's in your price range. It's concealable if you put a little effort into it.

For a revolver I would definitely stay away from a snubbie for a 1st gun. If you're married to a wheel gun I would go with 4-inch barrel. That's at least long enough to learn how to be accurate with without getting frustrated.

If you can live without carrying until you can afford a second gun I'd strongly suggest a Ruger MKII/III.

One of the hardest parts about getting reasonably good with a pistol is frustration factor. Learning the fundamentals of shooting with a gun that's accurate, cheap to shoot and easier than higher calibers would be your best bet. Another hint, if possible, start shooting from a sitting position until you can reliably put tight groups together. It's a lot more fun to get good results than just blast away and not hit what you're aiming at.

Oh that's awesome! I have the M&P 40 and I had no idea I could convert it to a 9mm. Do I need anything else besides the barrel and mag? Do I use the same recoil spring/guide?

I'd look for a used Ruger MKII to learn to shoot with, and use the left over $400 to buy a carry defense pistol like a used S&W Chief Special of a Model 60. They are both 5 shot, but it's all you need for carry unless you live in Dorchester.

A good used Ruger and a few bricks of .22 ammo will have you up to speed in no time.

Oh that's awesome! I have the M&P 40 and I had no idea I could convert it to a 9mm. Do I need anything else besides the barrel and mag? Do I use the same recoil spring/guide?

nope. it will work fine with your .40 cal mags BTW.

they will hold 12 rounds too [smile]

i don't know for the M&P, but i have a Lonewolf 40 to 9mm conversion barrel for my G23, it ejects "erractic", make sure you wear a hat and eye protection [laugh]

Last edited by a moderator:
Really though, shoot what you can and buy what you are most comfortable with. It's already been said here and it is wise advise.
+1

I'll add my vote to make sure you shoot as many as possible... Your hand and the gun have to agree... Either it fits from the factory or can be modified easily with back-straps, but if not, you will end up with a frustrating gun...

MA guns need trigger work, period... You can ignore it with the 92, 226, 229 - any single action capable gun... But only for so long... If you want to make nice tight groups, you'll most likely eventually need to get some work done... M&P's come equipped with criminally heavy double action only triggers, so they need $65 of work out of the box, but it can be well worth it and still cheaper than a 226 by a good stretch and about on par with a 92...

I'm a fan of the 2 gun approach to saving money on ammo... (a cheap 22 plinker and your sidearm).

Recognize that with 9 and 40, at today's prices, it won't be long before you've spent as much or more on ammo as you did on the gun - as they say you are "buying a caliber, not buying a gun"...

Don't throw away $10 to save $1...

Last edited:
A 4" Smith & Wesson K frame revolver, preferably in stainless steel and .357 Magnum.

Like this Model 65:

DSC00334.jpg

I couldn't agree more with Jose. My first gun was a 4 inch K frame S&W but in .38 Special. I still shoot it almost every range trip and I think its reliability and simplicity gave me a lot more confidence when I was first learning to shoot. I didn't have to worry about it being picky with ammo, clearing jams, or fussing with safeties. I could just go to the range and concentrate on practicing.
Now I have various other types of handguns but I think my Model 10 helped me a lot with learning to shoot and carry a handgun safely and accurately.
Plus they can be had used on gunbroker for ~$300 dollars, spend another $100 on a couple speedloaders and a good holster, and that still leaves you $200 for ammo, eye and ear protection, or possibly a club membership.
Or you could spend the $200 on a used .22 pistol for more practice.

Why not an L-Frame like the 686?

I don't like the full underlug and the extra weight it carries. I also do not like adjustable sights.

The fixed sight .357 Magnum K frames (Models 13 and 65) are the perfect fighting revolver: everything you need and nothing you don't.

Fair enough. I've got the K-Frame, fixed sight Model 10 (.38 +P) and the L-Frame, adjustable sight Model 520 (.357) and I love 'em both. The 520 was my nightstand gun for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom