First day of all day carry yesterday....

You both make good points. Other opions? What about shoulder rigs?

I'm not well ergonomically designed for cramped spaces. Driving a car (except for my Ace Mercedes) counts as cramped. I refuse to try one NES'rs recommendation to carry concealed "up the rear hole" [shocked]

Not my idea of safe. Heres' why. When you draw from a cross draw rig, your muzzle sweeps a lot of ''stuff'' before you are on target. More opportunity for problems.

I have in my stack a magzine article by Massad Ayoob showing how to blade your off side towards the attacker as you draw. This does two things: it prevents sweeping people besides you and it gives the attacker less of your weapon to grab.

Honestly, I don't understand the rigid application of Jeff Cooper's four safety rules. Number one, you're in a fight. The time for square range bullshit goes out the window. Number two, if you follow the rule about keeping your finger off the trigger until you have decided to shoot, you can sweep your gun around and nobody gets hurt. Unless you believe that guns go off by themselves.

First day went without incident. Although I'm still having issues with current wardrobe (all my tshirts are short and not very baggy), I wore a jacket most of the day, so it was ok. I can't imagine getting away undetected in the summer. I'm still looking for a good position that's comfy and not obvious. 4 oclock is the most comfortable, but it leaves a big bulge...oh well trial and error. Plus, I'm gonna order a new holster that should help....

There was almost an incindent witha afew punk teenagers, but that's different story...
First day CCW and your thinking of a draw down on punks? Do you really think you should carry? [rofl]

I usually carry at the 4ish in a blackhawk serpa (best otw in my opinion) and the wallet is usually in my left back pocket (or the inside pocket of the jacket)

I have a habit of keeping my right hand free when i can.

my issue with the serpa was unless you are open carrying, it sticks WAY to far off my hip. nothing could cover it [thinking]

Lol, yeah, I'm starting to reconsider. I was at the supermarket last night...this old lady tried to grab the last box of Captain crunch. I lifted my shirt, showed her the piece and said "I don't think so grandma...keep it moving"....

[rofl][laugh2]

How about "Small Of Back" (S.O.B.). I find that most people I know who carry carry that way. Tried it (just tucked in Mexican style to test), and it seems OK until you sit in the car. Any sweatshirt, overshirt, coat, or whatever covers it fine.

MY question to everyone on this, if I may, is how do you handle pulling up your shirt to get change or wallet without "showing your hand"?

If that is a concern, here's an option... Switch to a money clip and small card holder for your license and credit cards. Keep them in your front pocket. Then carry a pocket pistol in a wallet like holster in your back pocket.

Wardrobe needs to change with concealed carry.

As far as punk teenagers... walk away.
Them being punks may turn you into a convicted felon.
Exactly...walk away. You wouldn't even have to pull out your weapon to be charged with ADW. The punks won't waste any time calling 911 and reporting a "man with a gun". Now, your problems have just begun. At the very least, your LTC will grow wings and all of your guns will be seized by the police. The punks? They lose nothing!

well, luckily they were just "punks" riding in mommy's car...not the drug dealers, killers, and other miscreants I encounter on a daily basis. They made it very easy to walk away, because that's what they wanted to happen... Just kids going through their tough guy phase... None of them posed a threat, and even if they got out of the car, they STILL wouldn't have posed a threat. You can tell when people mean business by the look in their eyes...

Congrats!

Congrats on your first day.

Thus begins your long journey of experimentation with clothing and holsters.

I have a modified IWB for appendix carrying my slim auto's and a TRUSS under the shirt for my larger compacts (oxymoron but the M&P 9C is larger than a PPS when you talk about IWB).

I find that NO ONE ever gives me a second look...even IWB with a little bulge. Over time you will care less about that anyway. Besides, you have a license! Under a dress shirt with my TRUSS the firearm rides in my arm pit so no one would ever know unless I reach and it prints...no one has. Trade off deep cover for access...but worth it.

Over time as you shop for new clothes every so often you'll find yourself upping a size or shopping for concealment...takes time but eventually 90% of your wardrobe will be "gun-compliant". [smile]

Here's a tip if you carry a cell phone in a holder on your belt and use and IWB...put the cell phone right behind where the butt end of your gun will print...then you have an excuse for the bump - it's your phone!

Also you can move aside just enough of your shirt to reveal the phone w/o revealing the firearm. Fortunately this is where our sheeple head in the sand society works in our favor and no one gives it a second thought once they see the phone.

Congrats and good luck!

Till it locks up solid with your pistol in it.
first time i heard of that happening - have any more info on that for me?

my issue with the serpa was unless you are open carrying, it sticks WAY to far off my hip. nothing could cover it [thinking]
mine is the glock 23 model. im not a skinny guy (5'8" 180ish) and it actually sits right up against me. i wear it with either a leather jacket or even button down and a t-shirt. My friends who know I carry have asked if I have it because they couldn't just tell by looking.
I just have to worry about bending down with the light shirt in because it gets caught sometimes or lifts up to how the bottom of the holster.

Back
Top Bottom