Firing pin magnetized?

I just got a new firing pin in from brownells... and it's magnetized. Would this be bad in any way? I would think this would make it stick on the sides and cause friction. I can get it de-magnetized easily enough, I just thought it was strange.

Shouldn't be a problem. The force of the hammer hitting the pin is usually excessive enough that the minor friction from magnetic attraction would be negligible.

Having a part become magnetized is a common when grinding is involved in the manufacture of that part. De-magnetizing the part is also common. If you know any tool makers, my guess is they have a de-magnetizer, either way I wouldn't be overly concerned.

I work at a ball bearing manufacturing company, I can run it over a de-mag no problem. I figured it was probably just a matter of they forgot to de-mag it or they simply don't do it to any of their firing pins, but I figured they would; it's an Ed Brown part after all.

Having a part become magnetized is a common when grinding is involved in the manufacture of that part. De-magnetizing the part is also common. If you know any tool makers, my guess is they have a de-magnetizer, either way I wouldn't be overly concerned.

+1, Many machine shops have them as well. We used to have one around here, if I can located it your more than welcome to use it.

Is the business end positive or negative charged?

If it's the former... could be useful for a rail gun project. [wink]

I doubt the firing pin is large enough, nor is the magnetic strength any where near where you should concern yourself.

What is the firearm? The only concern I would have is it picking up small metal shavings and binding up.

1911. I ran it over a pretty strong demag today, have yet to see if it did the trick.

Update: worked perfectly! Yeah I would have worried about tiny metal pieces building up also. Probably never would have mattered but stuff like that bothers me... I tend to be a perfectionist.

heating it with a torch should take care of it too.

The magnetized firing pin is a Tactical Accessory. When you are lost behind enemy lines, you remove the pin, hang it from your fishing line and it points due North.

What, they didn't cover that in your SERE training?

Back
Top Bottom