Is my trigger installed correctly? (Pin walking)

Mass-diver

NES Member
1F1ED02F-6244-4E0D-9446-EF133258F905.jpegimage.jpgFirst or second time with the new trigger and one of the pins walked out. I’ve heard this often from an improper install. Does it look ok (like not upside down or anything crazy!!)? This is old lower so it might be a little out spec and maybe I need anti-walk pins or something?

Any feedback is appreciated!

and one of the pins walked out
which one? the hammer pin? as the other pin seems to have spring in the grooves and should not be able to move nowhere.
if it still happens and lower is reasonably tight - use a little bit of the loctite on the hammer pin ends. or use anti-walking pins, if lower is old and pin holes got way too loose.

even better idea it to ditch that trigger and put a drop in a triggertech trigger that has tightening screws - that would never move nowhere.

The hammer pin also has a groove in the center that catches on the hammer itself.

Actually now that I’m thinking about it the hammer and trigger pins are the same, one groove in the middle to catch the hammer and one grove to the side to catch the hammer spring leg. It shouldn’t matter which side of the trigger pin catches a leg as long as one side does. If something is out of whack and it’s not catching you could try to flip it around.

If all the parts are in spec you shouldn’t need anti-walk pins or anything else. The design has been working fine for 50 something years and millions of rifles now. It works.

which one? the hammer pin? as the other pin seems to have spring in the grooves and should not be able to move nowhere.
if it still happens and lower is reasonably tight - use a little bit of the loctite on the hammer pin ends. or use anti-walking pins, if lower is old and pin holes got way too loose.

even better idea it to ditch that trigger and put a drop in a triggertech trigger that has tightening screws - that would never move nowhere.
It was the front pin, I pushed it back in without really looking to see if it was in the grooves (which I think it is now). It’s an expensive trigger, so I’d like to make it work. Rough to look down at the range and see it backed out though!

It was the front pin, I pushed it back in without really looking to see if it was in the grooves (which I think it is now). It’s an expensive trigger, so I’d like to make it work. Rough to look down at the range and see it backed out though!

Front is the hammer pin. Did you feel it “click” into place when you pushed it back in? Does it look like this:
E745DA73-E8AA-41BD-B170-A15CB80205CB.jpeg

I pushed it back in without really looking to see if it was in the grooves
so take trigger out again and check if you got it set correctly and grooves are engaged. it is no big deal. hammer is difficult to set back only first 4-5 times, then you figure it out how to push it in, use a spare torx bit with a handle to catch it initially in the hole and then push pin into there slowly.

expensive is relative :) and i can tell - once you go triggertech, you will forget all the rest. i am sure you will get it fixed, it is relatively easy to sort out. a drop in triggers are much easier to deal with.

i can only add - it is rather unusual for hammer pin to slide out.

Thanks guys will do the above and report back!

If you take it apart you should see a little spring sort of thing one one edge of the hole in the hammer that the hammer pin goes through. If someone hulk smashed a pin through it may have been damaged or bent to the point where it’s not catching the groove in the pin. Once you see it it will be obvious how it’s supposed to work.

If you take it apart you should see a little spring sort of thing one one edge of the hole in the hammer that the hammer pin goes through. If someone hulk smashed a pin through it may have been damaged or bent to the point where it’s not catching the groove in the pin. Once you see it it will be obvious how it’s supposed to work.
An illustration- look into a hole :)
It catches pin at its middle groove
81B46FAF-4AAD-42D9-B85F-1645228DA4F7.jpeg

So, it was actually the trigger pin (not the hammer one). I took the trigger out last night and replaced both pins with Gieselle ones (since they apprently recommend that), it’s hard to see if the spring leg is in the pin groove though.

You can install a set of anti-walk pins and eliminate the issue completely. Like these. At all of $13 a set (plus shipping) they're cheap. I have a set of another brand (same type) that are going into my builds. I plan to get some more to cover all firearms that could use them.

It is possible for the pin to walk even when properly installed, … if the lower is out of spec. Some Andersons have been known to have the issue. Never experienced it personally though.

Back
Top Bottom