Firearm instructor question

I have a LTC with a sporting restriction.
I have recently been NRA and Mass State Police certified in basic firearm instruction.
Can I bring my firearms to clients homes to certify them? Does anyone have any advice
for me? I am unsure whether or not I could get the restriction lifted as I live in a tough town.
I do not wish to conceal carry.
Thank you
Mike

I have a LTC with a sporting restriction.
I have recently been NRA and Mass State Police certified in basic firearm instruction.
Can I bring my firearms to clients homes to certify them? Does anyone have any advice
for me? I am unsure whether or not I could get the restriction lifted as I live in a tough town.
I do not wish to conceal carry.
Thank you
Mike

Yes u can , just lock them in ur car properly

Greg, [email protected]

You should really get more training or classroom time that covers the MA laws. It will be impossible for you to properly instruct your students, otherwise. Transport of firearms should be covered in your class and you should have known the answer to your own question.

I feel like I need to defend myself. I know how to transport firearms in Massachusetts. I cover all aspects of transport and storage of firearms in my class. My question had nothing to do with transport of firearms in Massachusetts.

Thank you for your insight John, much appreciated that you would take time out of your busy morning to help me out.

You should really get more training or classroom time that covers the MA laws. It will be impossible for you to properly instruct your students, otherwise. Transport of firearms should be covered in your class and you should have known the answer to your own question.

I feel like I need to defend myself. I know how to transport firearms in Massachusetts. I cover all aspects of transport and storage of firearms in my class. My question had nothing to do with transport of firearms in Massachusetts.

Thank you for your insight John, much appreciated that you would take time out of your busy morning to help me out.

Sorry not to pick on you but John is right here. As an instructor your students are going to ask YOU questions like the one you asked here (and MANY MORE) and if you don't have a good grounding on MA gun laws, you are not going to be doing your students justice in teaching them to get their LTC. I hope you put your ego aside for a minute and digest what John and I had to say here . . . everyone has an ego and nobody likes to be called out on their lack of understanding of a law, but this stuff is as basic as it gets . . . and your instructor who taught you to get your LTC should have covered it for you back then.

If you have a restricted LTC and are now a bona fide instructor, you should look into having your restrictions removed.

KD is also right, many an instructor living in a tough town has had their restrictions lifted when they made a GOOD CASE why they needed an unrestricted LTC due to instructing others.

You've been on the forum almost 3 years, please read the stickies in the MA Gun Laws subforum (even this thread isn't posted where it belongs) to get a better understanding of the laws.

Yes, it did.

Why would my students ask me if they can legally transport a firearm to a clients home in order to certify someone else to apply for their LTC?
Please explain why they would ask me that? I DO NOT INSTRUCT THE INSTRUCTOR!
So, no it did not. I am teaching a firearm safety class in order for a student to apply for a LTC in Massachusetts, in the town they reside.
I know some of you "skim" and don't really read what is being typed. Try to understand what I am saying here. I am not instructing the instructor.
If any of you need clarification, I don't think I can be any clearer that this.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it did not.

Still confused what you trying to ask. Maybe word it in Spanish or French?

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

Why would my students ask me if they can legally transport a firearm to a clients home in order to certify someone else to apply for their LTC?
So, no it did not. I am teaching a firearm safety class in order for a student to apply for a LTC in Massachusetts, in the town they reside.
I know some of you "skim" and don't really read what is being typed. Try to understand what I am saying here. I am not instructing the instructor.
If any of you need clarification, I don't think I can be any clearer that this.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it did not.

Ok then based on YOUR STATEMENTS. Then my opinion would be NO. If your permit says t&h. It would need to be for employment.

Just my 2 cents

Is your question this?

Are you allowed to have your firearms at someone else's house?

Is that what your looking to do?

Why would my students ask me if they can legally transport a firearm to a clients home in order to certify someone else to apply for their LTC? Please explain why they would ask me that? I DO NOT INSTRUCT THE INSTRUCTOR! So, no it did not. I am teaching a firearm safety class in order for a student to apply for a LTC in Massachusetts, in the town they reside. I know some of you "skim" and don't really read what is being typed. Try to understand what I am saying here. I am not instructing the instructor. If any of you need clarification, I don't think I can be any clearer that this. - - - Updated - - - No, it did not.

It seems pretty simple to sum it up, if you can't answer your own question in the original post perhaps you should not be instructing anyone quite yet.

No, but they might ask about bringing a gun to a gunsmith for repair; to a friends house to show them; or to a gun show or shop to try to find a holster that fits. Are you prepared to answer those questions? If not, you need some more training on the law.

Are you prepared to explain the two pronged nuances of restrictions - the first prong being MGL chapter 140 section 131a and the second prong being suitability, and how each works in practice?

Is your question this?

Are you allowed to have your firearms at someone else's house?

Is that what your looking to do?

I'm sorry but in this thread you are showing us that you have no understanding of MGLs as it applies to MA gun laws.

Although NRA FORBIDS their instructors from teaching gun law as part of any NRA course, MA REQUIRES that BFS instructors either teach MA gun law or provide the student with handouts explaining it to them as part of any approved course for first-time LTC/FID applicants.

After the basic NRA 3 safety rules, MA gun law is the most important thing you can teach your students, so they don't get jammed up (potential jail sentence and Federal PP status) and lose their <non> right to defend themselves due to ignorance of the law.

Students look UP to instructors to get answers to their questions on MA gun laws and if you lack a basic understanding of the laws yourself you are in no position to be teaching others in spite of any credentials you hold. MSP only cares if your check clears and really could care less what you know or teach your students, however you need to be fair to your students ethically.

Please re-think what you plan on doing with your credentials, in fairness to any potential students you might teach.

You invested in the NRA instructor class which isn't cheap, then paid another $50 for the state cert.

Time to cough up another $50 or so and take the Len S class on MA gun law. It will fill in a lot of gaps and prove to be an excellent investment.

Back
Top Bottom