Firearm Inheritance due to Death

Dnizzle80

NES Member
Hi everyone,
Im not sure if this is the right thread for this post but here goes. My brother-in-laws best friend recently passed away and left behind a wife and two children. He was a bit of a hunter and owned several firearms consisting of both handguns and shotguns. His wife has a firearms license but does not know how to go about getting these firearms transferred to her legally. All of the firearms are registered with the state but one (it may be an antique or something like that). Is there an easy method here or will she need to seek some kind of legal counsel to do so. Any help here would be most appreciated. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I understand there are only 4 sales a year that can be done through the EFA10 form. Is there a transfer limit on the EFA10 form for "inheritance"? Also, what about the gun that she believes is not registered? Will that be an issue or does it just stay as is? Thanks!!

The limit of 4 transactions only apply towards personal transfers, not registration and/or inheritance.
Have an ffl take care of the other one if she is concerned.

Last edited:
Since she has her LTC, she can bring them to an FFL. Have the FFL transfer them to her.
Otherwise, she could use the EFA10 and choose "Inheritance" on the initial screen.

https://mircs.chs.state.ma.us/fa10/action/home?app_context=home&app_action=presentTrans

NO, NO in both cases!!!!!!!

Being that she inherited them she can just efa10 them

CORRECT, but very carefully. DO NOT USE THE INHERITANCE OPTION. Merely "REGISTER" them and SKIP the "where did you get them screen"!

The limit of 4 transactions only apply towards personal transfers, not registration and/or inheritance.
Have an ffl take care of the other one if she is concerned.

NO AGAIN! Do you have an FFL or work for one? WHY ON EARTH would you suggest this adamantly! Both MGL and Fed Law state that NO FFL IS REQUIRED and due to MA EOPS List and AG Regs Bullshit, using an FFL can LOSE HANDGUNS!!

Fill out the efa10 for all the firearms. She's done. No ffl required. Quantity of firearms doesn't come into play here.

CORRECT, see caveat above!

READ THIS VERY CAREFULLY. It will answer all the questions and even has correct info in it.

How about A) do nothing or B ) if one must do it paper FA10.

Why the **** do you guys want to make things easier for the state ?!?! If you're going to comply don't make it easier.

Why the **** do you guys want to make things easier for the state ?!?! If you're going to comply don't make it easier.

well lets see, first she'd have to actually FIND enough paper FA10s that are serialized, then she'd have writers cramp filling them all out. WTF is wrong with doing it the easiest way which is eFA-10 (since doing nothing isn't a legal option).

Because finding paper FA-10s is almost as easy as finding unicorns! [thinking]

If you have paper forms, keep them for when you do a FTF transaction. IIRC, she might be able to do multiple guns using the eFA-10 as Registration w/o going thru the entire form over and over again to make it even easier for her.

The Registration options on the site are as follows:
Use this option if 1) you are a Massachusetts resident and you obtained a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun from out of state 2) you recently moved to Massachusetts and you wish to record ownership of a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun or 3) you possess a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun and there is no record of the weapon on file with the Firearms Records Bureau.

none of these options seem to apply to her situation except for option 3 that may apply to only one of the firearms she believes has not been registered.

Use Option 1 - that is "registration" just do NOT put the source of the gun on the 1st page that comes up and hit "Next".

FRB took "Liberties" with MGL on creation of the website . . . created new categories (#2 & #3) that are NOT REQUIRED BY MGL, added Inheritance but wants info about deceased, LTC # etc, NONE of which is required by MGL! I had this lengthy discussion with prior and current Directors of FRB. My position is that I will comply with what is required by MGL but I will NOT provide any additional info to gov't that is NOT REQUIRED by MGL just because they "want it" or because they "say so"!

I've posted copies of the directions for the FA-10 form as required by MGL and published by FRB (CHSB back then) on the forms back in 1998. NOTHING has changed in MGL since then, but they have boldly IMPLIED that lots more info is required and they love their databases!

Thanks for all the info LenS, I appreciate your time. I'll pass this info along to her and hopefully she can get this taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom