Fire extinguishers: Recharge vs. non-recharge

je25ff

NES Member
So I had to use a Kidde Pro Line Model PRO 5 CDM-5. It's a CO2 model and is rechargeable. Is there any difference between one being chargeable or not either economically or effectively? My goal is to have an extinguisher per house floor, at least, and one in my car.

Any tips, reps would be inbound [kiss]

Edit: Anyone in North/Central MA. area know a place to recommend?

I have tundra fire extinguishers on every floor. They sell them at the box stores. Thankfully I never had the need for them but they get good reviews and are a one time use can. Rated for any kind of fire.

I think the recharge fees equal or exceed the cost of a new extinguisher at a discount supplier like Home cheapo or Lowes. Recharging is practical for commercial applications that have a service truck come once a year to inspect, certify and recharge extinguishers as needed. Home users don't have the economy of scale, and do not need the annual inspection tag.

I think the recharge fees equal or exceed the cost of a new extinguisher at a discount supplier like Home cheapo or Lowes. Recharging is practical for commercial applications that have a service truck come once a year to inspect, certify and recharge extinguishers as needed. Home users don't have the economy of scale, and do not need the annual inspection tag.

Gotcha, so basically buying a new one is the economical way to go.

- - - Updated - - -

I have tundra fire extinguishers on every floor. They sell them at the box stores. Thankfully I never had the need for them but they get good reviews and are a one time use can. Rated for any kind of fire.

I'll check that out, thanks.

Yup, Costco sells a 5# extinguisher with a 10 or 12 year life for $35.

One of my gun clubs hired a professional company to supply, tag extingushers. From what I can see we got 2 or 3 regular extingushers (look the same as the ones Costco sells) plus one a bit bigger and different type for the kitchen (might be 8 or 10#) and we were told the cost was ~$600.00!!!! [shocked] Then every year they will inspect and charge us some fee (no idea what).

Much cheaper to buy and toss them every few years.

Commercial applications like your club, require an annual inspection and tag by an accredited extinguisher co. There is, I believe, a 5 or seven year hydro-static test that is also required and stamped into the extinguisher. Home owners do not require this annual inspection and your, "disposable" replacement may be less expensive, BUT, since they do not require annual testing and only the hydro-static for bottle safety, call your local extinguisher company and price a test if you drop off and pick up.

So it seems the best bang for the buck is to buy something cheaper that isn't re-chargeable (although I'm not necessarily sure that it's cheaper, although I would imagine so) for a situation as I'm describing. Basically a CO2 for three floors.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I had a clothes drier fire actually. No lint blockage, nothing. There was something on a towel that, apparently, reached it's flashpoint and started smoldering. I had to empty an entire extinguisher into the dryer to make sure.

When I was on college we recharged dry chemical extinguishers by filling them 3/4 with water and throwing in a few chunks of dry ice to build up pressure, and bled off pressure as it melted to keep the needle out of the danger one. Once thusly recharged, the unit was useless for fighting fires (and could never be recharged for fire use because of possible rust), but was properly prepared for water wars and the next quick recharge.

Back
Top Bottom