Finned M91 Westinghouse: new trigger and report

Mine do not have a keeper on the back. I suggest you soak that it some Baristal. It will be soft and those cracks will not get any worse.

T I am going to be interested in seeing how that baby shoots with the heavy grain ammo I have for you. Most of my full length Finns and Russians , like dragoons etc seem to shoot far better with a heavier projectile.

will be at Holbrook on Sat at a work party. Are you available. I take it you dont need the trigger parts. Let me know what works for you

The cleaning rod came today and everything is FINNished except for the two stage trigger. You think just putting in a cleaning rod would be easy, right? HELLO Mr. Murphy, OMG.

Tried to put the rod in, and the threads would not bite. Oops. Familiar with my Mausers, I quickly located the lug hole in the stock and tried moving the lug with a finishing nail; once it seemed to bite, then nothing.

OK, step two - full take down and removal of the lug - and hoping that I had a lug. A metal shim came out with the lug and displaced a copper shim from the top of the lug. I don't know how it was attached; there was a little hole in the copper and a larger hole in the lug. I didn't see a little pin or anything. At the end I eventually replaced it in its pressed outline in the wood with a little bit of super glue.

I removed the lug to examine it; there was this odd bump on one side where the threads were. Rinsing with hot water and wiping with a paper towel, I found the broken off threads of an old cleaning rod! It was the rounded end of the rod that I first saw through the grime. An hour and a half of fussing later - you can imagine the difficulties here - but at least the broken off end moved freely. I eventually managed to drill a little tap hole from the inside and then used a larger drill bit that was just smaller than the threads and drilled out the offensive piece. I didn't even scuff the threads of the lug.

So a one minute cleaning rod installation took two hours. Why me?

I'm hooking up with Fred Saturday, and we'll install the Finn two-stage trigger and try out a variety of light and heavy ball ammo and see what the Westinghouse can really do.
T

Last edited:
Finn 2-pin trigger came today. Hope the screw comes out Saturday.

Is this a stand alone model 2-stage Finn trigger, or is it a modification of an existing model's trigger?

T

Finn 2-pin trigger came today. Hope the screw comes out Saturday.

Is this a stand alone model 2-stage Finn trigger, or is it a modification of an existing model's trigger?

T

That is a Finn 2 stage trigger IMHO. If you look at the Mosin 91/30 trigger I posted you will see it does not have what appears to be two pins. Also the trigger you posted looks like the one in my 28 which has a spring. If I have an extra spring I will bring it tomorrow.

See you at the range tomorrow. ( ammo and a ammo pouch with all the accessories, firing pin screwdriver, jag, muzzle guide cap etc.)

, yes day after tomorrow...see what retirement does to you.
Unless your free tomorrow. If so i can meet you at the range around 12:30.

Saturday cool for me. I just have to go to the gunshow venue at 11:00 but should be back by 12:30. The range is closed until then anyway. We can use the gun vise at the big bore range. Lets get this baby ready for a day of ammo tests.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=314&idcategory=17

Last edited:
, yes day after tomorrow...see what retirement does to you.
Unless your free tomorrow. If so i can meet you at the range around 12:30.

Saturday cool for me. I just have to go to the gunshow venue at 11:00 but should be back by 12:30. The range is closed until then anyway.

Not going to Monadnock on Saturday Fred?

Six hour range trip today with Fred and friends at Holbrook. The Westinghouse underwent more than an hour's worth of surgery, with many of the shooters popping in offering advice and help. Eventually she gave up her bolt-stop screw allowing the original Remington (not Westinghouse) trigger to be removed and replaced with a Finn two-pin modified trigger. Fred also cleaned the area with Q-tips so everything was right.

While this was going on, my son put about 30 rounds down range at the pizza delivery Zombie at 50 meters. He actually hit it in for forehead in one of the first two shots where he said he was aiming.

I put 3 enblocs in the Danish Garand downrange at 100 meters at a match target. I was surprised to see my group string high, but I did have good windage. I dropped the peep two clicks and will try again another day.

Fred also gifted me about 300 rounds of various heavy and light ball; Czech and Russian silver tip, standard Russian light ball, and Egyptian light ball among others. He also gave me an ammo pouch and the parts of a cleaning kit.

I tested the Westinghouse with 5 rounds of 203gr SP heavy ball - the target with 5 holes. 100M

I then used 10 rounds of lacquered Czech silver tip. This rifle likes light ball. Bulls eyes and right, 100M. These rounds wouldn't eject - I had to hammer the bolt with my fist to open the action - it got a little easier on the 9th and 10th. The trigger was very rough and gritty early and then smoothed out. Unfortunately it is still single action - The trigger still needs the little Finn spring inside.

Many kudos and thanks to Fred. If I knew there was this much fun in joining the dark side, I would have done so earlier!

T

Last edited:
T,
My pleasure to help get the Westinghouse back in action. Sorry you had to wait for me to run back home to pick up the box of assorted ammo...I left it on my kitchen table[rolleyes]. I am really getting bad with the memory brain cells.

The Russian light ball silver tip I gave you should perform as well as the Czech silver tip without the problem with ejecting the spent round. As I said to you at the range some rifles do not have a problem ejecting the lacquered rounds some do. But the Russian silver tip should work just fine. Also the 5 rounds of FMJBT 203 grain may be something to try at the gong at 200 yards.

Before you buy the spring why dont we install the trigger I have and see what happens.

Also when I took the rifle out of the stock I noticed the Finns had inserted some shims to better the accuracy. God Bless the Finns.

As to the Egyptian rounds I dont use them. They are nearly impossible to find anymore and I keep them more for the collector/neat value. You can shoot them but you must admit they sure are pretty all shined up.

I may be heading to my Cape house tomorrow and if you want to meet somewhere we could swap out the trigger.

On another note I am watching a P-27 on GB and may just have to bid...I just cant help myself.[wink]

Nice .......some day I will get to a nes shoot of somesort!. Majspud 1st thing to check if your shots are stringing oncthe M1 is gas plug. Might have worked loose?.....this gets me every now now and then. I got to rush 16 rends out of newest M1.
All this talk of Finn mosins had me looking at a Finn M91 looked original. Guy wanted 350.00.
I couldn't even make a offer as I just dropped 28k on a new to me truck........yuk....

Nice .......some day I will get to a nes shoot of somesort!. Majspud 1st thing to check if your shots are stringing oncthe M1 is gas plug. Might have worked loose?.....this gets me every now now and then. I got to rush 16 rends out of newest M1.
All this talk of Finn mosins had me looking at a Finn M91 looked original. Guy wanted 350.00.
I couldn't even make a offer as I just dropped 28k on a new to me truck........yuk....

Just sent you a PM on a Finn P-26....just trying to help get you addicted[wink]

I noticed I had to tighten it after I shot it last time - I'll check.

T

Just sent you a PM on a Finn P-26....just trying to help get you addicted[wink]
I am well into the addiction but I suffer from a over riding illness Lackofunditis. I missed the nice round of snipers as i came down with needanothergrandismoreism

I noticed I had to tighten it after I shot it last time - I'll check.

T
I use a pair of large water pump/channel lock pliers I wrap the gas lock with a old leather gun and use the pliers for a little leverage. I then use a 1/4" drive extension and wratchet to tighten the gas plug.

Just checked the gas plug; nice and tight. I want to replace it someday with a 50% finish one to match the patina; hopefully P-O marked.

T

Put a trigger spring in tonight. It's not a true two-stage trigger, but with the shorter pull and the 'feel' of the spring bunching towards the end I can at least tell when the sear is close to releasing. Time for another range trip.

T

Back
Top Bottom