Finned M91 Westinghouse: new trigger and report

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Just got this today from a fellow NES'r (thanks again soxfan9), 6 digit M91 Westinghouse with Finn SA and stock. Matching bolt. Bore is fair, and counter-bored 1cm but should clean up better. Missing a cleaning rod, and I have to get a cleaning kit for it to check for bolt protrusion. Very nice color to the stock.

SA marked Finn sling on the way. More to come.

A few quick pics as were out the door. Some graffiti on the left of the receiver.

T

Last edited:
EXCELLENT!!!!! I have a ammo pouch with complete tool kits you are welcome to one.

The graffiti makes it all the more interesting IMO.

If you post on gunboards you are looking for a cleaning rod I bet folks can point you in the right direction.

Congratulations!!!

Congrats on another nice acquisition, T. Have you hit jackpot lately?

Not really; NES members are helpful. Soxfan9 PM'd me when he saw my tag-on to Fred's post to keep me in mind if he saw a Finned Westinghouse. The one pic I saw was enough and the price was fair; $100 less than most GB stuff. I'll trade matching bolt for a slight counter-bore any day.

I had saved up a little money and the wife let me have the rest. The Krag I sold a $10 gold piece to get, even up.

T

- - - Updated - - -

EXCELLENT!!!!! I have a ammo pouch with complete tool kits you are welcome to one.

The graffiti makes it all the more interesting IMO.

If you post on gunboards you are looking for a cleaning rod I bet folks can point you in the right direction.

Congratulations!!!

Thanks Fred!

T

- - - Updated - - -

I've got a bunch of FP protrusion tools. I'll give you one

Thanks Ray!

T

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone have a line on the graffiti? At first I though it was Russian, but it seems fore like a unit mark now.

T

Also, Soxfan9 got this six years ago and never shot it; hence my desire to check the bolt protrusion.

T

It's also missing the correct nose cap screw; just a filler in there now.

Last edited:
Spent 2.5 hours on the bore. Started with 30 minutes of 9V electrolysis. Huge amounts of crud. Jet black patches to dry. 20 minutes of bore foam; oily black puddle and jet black patches. Brass brush, CLP, jag and patches, still Jet black. Used a .35 cal bore snake. Another 20 minute soak with more foam. Still a black puddle. More patches and snake again; got to 'grey' - more work needed. This is the dirtiest bore I've ever cleaned.

A little better pic. The heavy black circle is the counter-bore.

T

Last edited:
I noticed the trigger is single stage - should be double stage, right?

Very faint CAI import stamp under muzzle.

T

The double stage trigger is more prevalent on the Finn produced models (M27, M28, M39), than on Finn refurbished guns. Some received the upgrade, and some didn't. No big deal, either way.

One variant down, three hundred and seventy-four to go! Welcome to the never ending enjoyment of Mosin Nagant collecting.

[smile]

I prefer the two stage trigger, as I just don't know when it will go bang without it! What part/s do I need to change it?

T

Tim,
Your in luck!!!! I have a the trigger and part you need. When I changed out my Mosin project rifle to a Timney trigger I have the parts you need. By chance is there a spring on the trigger? Probably not those were mostly installed on M27 and M28.

I also have the part that looks like a small insert which is part of the shell extractor process. Small screw holds it in place. If you need that I have one of those as well.

If you find the trigger has two much travel you can also install the spring which was used by the Finns to help with the travel in the trigger. I bought them from a guy on Gunboards who makes them in Finland. Please dont buy the parts from the guy on E bay who suggests you place a washer to lighten the trigger. I have seen rifles discharge when closing the bolt with that part installed..OUCH!!!!!!

Does your trigger look like this: If so I am not sure how you can make it a two stage.

Attachments

• Mosin trigger.jpg
    Mosin trigger.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I haven't dismounted the rifle yet. I hope to get to it this week; but I have yet to write the review and test for the end of the week...

We've got to get together and play with this thing.

T

Let me know what you need after you get that beauty taken down.

I am not sure the trigger parts I posted will change it but if your trigger appears different its worth a try. The only thing I would check is if the trigger is W marked, in that case I would leave it original.

Also I have to get you your ammo. I wish I could get it to you before you range test it.

Fred, when we meet up, we can do it together.

Two more bore foams; first blue for the copper, then basically clear. Ran another 45 minutes of electrolysis and we're back to black. Currently soaking again in bore foam for the 6th time.

SA sling came today; plenty long enough. I had to take off the dog collars (mold) and the sling seems a little too thick for the swivels.

Ordered a nose cap and screw off GB for $8 and the M91 rod off the GunBoards for $50.

T

Last edited:
Tried to dismount the trigger but the spring screw is frozen, and I actually broke my drill bit on it and took a chunk out of the screw head.

T

Is it my imagination, or is the M91 beefier than the 91/30? I thought I read that the M91 barrel was 3" longer. In the Finn stock bulkier as well? Handling it is reminding me of the U.S. M17.

T

The nose cap screw came today. To get it, I had to get the cap that came with it. I noticed the cap was different than the one that came on the rifle, and was wondering which was the 'better' piece to have on it.

The one with the screw in it, with the flat front, blued with a stamp that looks like a see-saw, was the one that came with it.

The other seems slightly smaller, no markings, blued, rounded thicker features.

Lacking any better reason I kept the one it came with for now.

The spring screw remained impervious to a day's soak in PB blaster. I don't have a screw bit/driver as thick or as long as needed and don't want to damage it any further; it can wait for now. Hope to try it out Sunday.

T

PB sucks. Get some Kroil and soak it. Then get a good set of hollow ground bits and use the one that fits the screw. Wheeler makes a nice set but you can find them cheaper because most likely you'll never use half the bits on a set like this: http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.c...t=Professional-Gunsmith-Screwdriver-Set-89-pc
I agree with Ray. Kroil works wonders. I purchased the Wheeler gunsmith set along with the torque screwdriver. It's well worth the cash for collectors.

Got to the range today with son. We shot first at 50 yards; his first time back since the first day he shot. He only shot one magazine from the carbine; about half were over the Zombie, and the rest on target. He was pleased with that as he couldn't hit at 50 first time out and did so now, and the fact that he cleaned the carbine himself for the first time.

While we were at 50, I put 10 rounds of 1981 light ball out of the Westinghouse to set the sights. First shot I lined up the sights straight on, but I couldn't find a hole. Thought I was high, so I aimed at the bottom of the target and that's where I hit. Wait a minute. Put two shots in between and those were the two in the middle right. Went to the target and saw that the first shot was actually an "X". This is the first time I scored an "X" with any rifle at any distance with the first shot. The second five had three black and the two lower left ones.

The kid went into the club house to read while I went to the 100 yard range to shoot the remaining 30 rounds, seated, elbow on the table. Not too bad. So much heat haze was coming off the barrel/fore stock that the target was very fuzzy at the end. Very clunky action, but no sticky bolt as I swished all the bolt parts inside a Gatorade bottle with mineral spirits. Bolt action got smoother as the rifle got hot at the end, but its no Mauser! The Finn's sure dialed the sights in on this rifle, especially the battle sight.

I noticed after the pics that the hand guard had walked forward as I had the bands a little loose as the cleaning rod is on the way. I've a SA marked leather sling coming Monday.

214/300 - not bad first time out.
T

Last edited:
T for a first outing it appears you have not only one of the rarer rifles in the Mosin line up but one that still can hold its own even with a less than pristine bore.
You can also smooth out the bolt cycling by polishing the firing pin . We will have you in the 12 step Mosin program yet ;)

Wait until I put the Finn two stage trigger into it.

T

With the bolt, the clunky part is getting past the sheer vertical slot of the receiver cut out to push the bolt down into battery. If there was a little angle relief at the top it would cycle a little better.

Last edited:
Finn SA leather sling arrived today; as received before Pecard's leather dressing.

Does the button end go in front (my guess) or the back?

T

Back
Top Bottom