FIELD DAY 2010

Field Day V/UHF contacts are point to point, not through repeaters. I don't really think the higher frequencies are an issue. Big operations that are looking to maximize every point possible will be running there, but from an interest standpoint, it's very boring just doing ground line of sight contacts. There will be some e-skip activity on 6 by that time, that's about it.

I know, I was saying that I would use the repeaters on the 13th just to see what kind of range I could get from the club.

So far, it's looking I'm good for Saturday. Is there anyone that's out by me that want's to carpool up? I'm trying to recruit a new Ham both to NES and to come up and join the Field Day.

Anyway, let me know...It would be nice to save gas by having a few drive up together...I'll either chip in, or drive...just let me know so I can take the Carseats out of the jeep.

Also, do we have a plan for trying to talk on the way up while we're in our cars? Repeaters on the trip? Simplex?

I'm in Gardner, if anyone is heading by my area I can chip in for gas and we can carpool.

As far as talking on the way there, I think simplex (2m or 440), is our best bet. Not even Paxton can cover all the places we're coming from.

glad you brought this up. I may have to attend to another commitment next week. If I can't make it, I'll try to get MrTwigg to cover for me.

...and I did as requested.

Two words folks. Its. on. June 26th and 27th as requested, approval took all of 15 seconds. [smile]

...and I did as requested.

Two words folks. Its. on. June 26th and 27th as requested, approval took all of 15 seconds. [smile]

Thanks Dennis!!

I called Dennis this afternoon and he was able to go in my place to get approval from the BOD at MRGC. Obviously he did a good job!

For Saturday, what are we looking to accomplish? Or is this more an excuse to get together? Either way is good. Are folks wanting to shoot? (fyi: there's a $10 fee for non members to shoot).

I will let you all know as soon as I do if we're on (Unless Dennis wants to do this for me too!).

Thanks Dennis!!

I called Dennis this afternoon and he was able to go in my place to get approval from the BOD at MRGC. Obviously he did a good job!

For Saturday, what are we looking to accomplish? Or is this more an excuse to get together? Either way is good. Are folks wanting to shoot? (fyi: there's a $10 fee for non members to shoot).

I will let you all know as soon as I do if we're on (Unless Dennis wants to do this for me too!).

I won't have time to shoot..but if we're just going to do this...then that will save me some money on gas and time I can spend with my family. Let me know...if we're going to have radios there and we're going to play...then that's a different story. But, they are calling for rain this whole weekend...so I don't know what that will do for our plans.

I won't have time to shoot..but if we're just going to do this...then that will save me some money on gas and time I can spend with my family. Let me know...if we're going to have radios there and we're going to play...then that's a different story. But, they are calling for rain this whole weekend...so I don't know what that will do for our plans.

I pitched this as a non-"offical" shooting event and played up the community assistance side a bit more. While shooting is always welcomed at the club, they not expecting a full on NES shooting event.

As for the weather, just as Appleseeds are run rain or shine, would you wait for better weather during a disaster to set up equipment and provide communications, or would you get out there and find out what works anad what does not ?

I pitched this as a non-"offical" shooting event and played up the community assistance side a bit more. While shooting is always welcomed at the club, they not expecting a full on NES shooting event.

As for the weather, just as Appleseeds are run rain or shine, would you wait for better weather during a disaster to set up equipment and provide communications, or would you get out there and find out what works anad what does not ?

Excellent! I always thought there should be a second Field Day, the date of which would be randomly picked, and announced a couple of days prior, to simulate a true emergency as close as possible. There is Winter Field Day.

I will be bringing a portable set up -- my FT-897 and some cables to hook it up to a car battery for some QRO operation, and my P1 backpacking vertical. I may bring an end fed 1/2 wave setup and my Z-11 tuner too for the heck of it.

Excellent! I always thought there should be a second Field Day, the date of which would be randomly picked, and announced a couple of days prior, to simulate a true emergency as close as possible. There is Winter Field Day.

I will be bringing a portable set up -- my FT-897 and some cables to hook it up to a car battery for some QRO operation, and my P1 backpacking vertical. I may bring an end fed 1/2 wave setup and my Z-11 tuner too for the heck of it.

So, are we going to do this then earlier in the morning? Or are we waiting until noon? I understand the whole "emergency" thing...but I wasn't sure if we were just driving up there to look at it...or if someone were going to set up radios Saturday as well.

My thing, if we're doign this at one. I leave my house at 11 am....get there for one, figure we shoot the shit for a few hours, get home around 5...then I have to prepare for a class early Sunday Morning. I wouldn't have time to walk the club, talk to you guys and do some shooting.

If we're going to get there early morning...I'll bring up a couple gun cases and my range bag. I don't have a "go kit" so I can't bring any other radio stuff than my HT. But if we're also setting up and doing a small demo, that's a different story.

That's all I was saying. I'm just saying that if we're going to use the club no matter what, and we're not going until late afternoon...that's a lot of driving for me for no real reason...as at that point in the day, I don't have time to hang around and shoot for a few hours after we would walk the club.

MAN, GET OFF MY BACK WHY DON'T YOU!

LOL! [wink]

I have nothing else to do Saturday, so I'm up for hanging out the whole day. I'll bring my 2 meter and 440 mobiles.

tele_mark, I'll send you a PM about carpooling.

The gist of the meeting I thought was to basically do an eyeball of the site to get some ideas as to what can be put up for antennas, and possible station layouts. I figured I'd bring a portable station to make a few contacts. I think we need to get a firm time frame set. I'd prefer late morning myself.

That would work for me, but I'm flexible. I'd have to put the max at about 2PM though.

Two would be too late for me... I have a class on Sunday, starting early monring. And I need to get things ready, set up and good to go the night before. And I don't want to start all that at 8 pm.

Still, do when it's best for everyone. I can plan to meet with Matt another time and check out the club. We have a lot of weekends between now and Field Day.

Guys,

Bad news... I will not be able to make it on Saturday. I have to attend to another commitment. (and it supposed to be raining anyway)

How is next weekend (the 20th)?

Matt

Last edited:
I'm out for the 20th as it's our wedding anniversary we're going away for the 19th overnight...and by the time I get home on the 20th, I'll have to leave for the NES St. Patty's event.

But it's good to know that we're out tomorrow because I have other things I can take care of...

So, I have been working 70 hours a week for the past 6 weeks. Havent been keeping up with NES or ham radio because I have no time. Whats going on with field day? We still gonna do it or have we lost interest?

/john

Back
Top Bottom