FIELD DAY 2010

It definitely should be something Alpha -- QRP Battery isn't the way to go where the theme is fun and experience building.

The question is the coverage --

Separate stations for 160m CW & SSB? (Only good at night, so if you operate there, you want to have 2 stations going there), or just one to simplify things? Not usually a big activity band.

80 meters -- bread and butter band, probably definitely want simultaneous coverage.

40 Meters -- ditto

20 meters -- ditto

15 meters -- starting to wake up a bit, but could possibly be left as a single transmitter/dual mode station

10 meters -- probably useless and equivalent to the VHF bands at this time.

Forget the 160

and add 2m and 6m and we are 7A, no?

Forget the 160

and add 2m and 6m and we are 7A, no?

We could probably just do 160m on the 80m with a tuner just to break up the monotony at 2AM.

We can do what ever, but I thought 7A was just a joke....LOL. If you guys want to go all out then thats great, but 7A is a big operation.

At some point we're going to have to go out to Monadnock and look at it from this POV just to see what's possible. We could do one station each on 80 and 40, possibly 2 on 20, 1 for 10 AND 15, 2m and 6m for 7A too, and that's not so unrealistic from a planning perspective.

There's also the GOTA thing, but I don't fully understand it.

Last edited:
My vote is for Monadnock. Yes, FD is a contest, but it's also about Amateur Radio. The spirit of Amateur radio is having a good time, and Monadnock promises a good time no mater how bad we do.
As for the geographical problems with Monadnock, who REALLY cares? I looked it up out of curiosity, but I could really care less.

That's only if you're going for points, just like copying the ARRL bulletin, not necessary. I think we should focus on maximizing the FUN and EDUCATIONAL factors for the new guys. :)

Not to mention focusing on food and beer!

Another way would be a dedicated 80/75 meter station, 2 "roving stations" set up to operate on 40, 20, and 15, and the VHF stuff.

That could give us a dedicated CW and SSB station on 40-15, for instance.

Last edited:
Not to mention focusing on food and beer!

Another way would be a dedicated 80/75 meter station, 2 "roving stations" set up to operate on 40, 20, and 15, and the VHF stuff.

Yes, good ideas here. Maybe a station on 10-15-20m on a tribander and a second on 40-80m with a third on 2-6-440. That would make a nice simple 3A for a new group and keep things from getting spread too thin.

Yes, good ideas here. Maybe a station on 10-15-20m on a tribander and a second on 40-80m with a third on 2-6-440. That would make a nice simple 3A for a new group and keep things from getting spread too thin.

That's good, but you'll be "freezing out" a whole station when the upper bands close at night, leaving only one transmitter to cover 80/40 CW/SSB for the "long haul" to the morning, with possibly many ops looking for something to do. Or, most people could be conked out then. The "3rd shift" I don't mind covering though. There's usually that sparse but continuous buzz throught he night on the VHF bands though.

edit:

Actually, now that a small tower and tribander is on the table - let's keep your idea, which will be better than mine on the high bands for making best use of the time there, and have two 80/40 rovers with wire antennas -- Zepps? -- which will only bump us to a 4A and would be doable if we have the trees for it. Then we have the dedicated CW and SSB stations on 80 and 40, the latter which sees the most continuous action in the test.

Last edited:
That's good, but you'll be "freezing out" a whole station when the upper bands close at night, leaving only one transmitter to cover 80/40 CW/SSB for the "long haul" to the morning, with possibly many ops looking for something to do. Or, most people could be conked out then. The "3rd shift" I don't mind covering though. There's usually that sparse but continuous buzz throught he night on the VHF bands though.

I agree, we can start with 3A like above and maybe break out 40m for a 4A if we have the people. If the bands are in really gud shape we may even want to break out 10m for a 5A. We can play it by ear but we can have a nice plan for expanding as needed.

Just a slight correction -- 1800 UTC in the summer is 2PM EST, so you can start setting up at 2PM on the 25th, and start the contest at 2PM EST on the 26th.

As far as the HAAT of Monadnock, we'll be setting up some VHF/UHF gear, but they're secondary, and shouldn't be the focus of the site choice. The meat and potatoes of FD is HF.

Agreed, but there will likely be some tech's there. It would be good for them to be able to participate with their gear.

I thought that if you're with a higher class license holder, you can work those bands as long as you call both signs...or call their sign at their Station?

That's my intent too. I'm just saying that unless we're setting up on Mt. Wachusett, there will be action on 6 meters to 70 cm, just not really alot, just slow but constant. That's just the way it is in this area working direct on those bands. So, it's good experience learning to put together portable antenna systems that can maximize those types of contacts. Rich said he's bringing 40 feet of tower, and I have 50 feet of milsurp fiberglass mast. Put a couple j-poles up and some yagis and those stations will be busy the whole 24 hours, guaranteed. I can also bring my 6 meter Moxon on 10 feet of mast with a rotator.

I don't know what I can bring...but I will bring it!!

Oh that's cool! I suspect you are correct about that then.

It's like an upgrade for a day!

ANSWERED

That's only if you're going for points, just like copying the ARRL bulletin, not necessary. I think we should focus on maximizing the FUN and EDUCATIONAL factors for the new guys. :)

I agree, we can start with 3A like above and maybe break out 40m for a 4A if we have the people. If the bands are in really gud shape we may even want to break out 10m for a 5A. We can play it by ear but we can have a nice plan for expanding as needed.

This is going to be so much fun....I have NO IDEA what you guys are talking about!!!!

Looking like a good plan is coming together. Sometime in the near future we'll have to get up there to scope things out.

I thought that if you're with a higher class license holder, you can work those bands as long as you call both signs...or call their sign at their Station?

I don't know what I can bring...but I will bring it!!

ANSWERED

This is going to be so much fun....I have NO IDEA what you guys are talking about!!!!

Sorry, I thought control operator function was understood, I should have elaborated on it.

On the FD "Classes" -- this is from the rules, along with our prospective entry class:

4. Entry Categories: Field Day entries are classified according to the maximum number of simultaneously
transmitted signals, followed by a designator indicating the nature of their individual or group participation. Twenty
(20) transmitters maximum are eligible for the purpose of calculating bonus points (2,000 points maximum).
However, additional transmitters may be used simultaneously in determining your entry category. Switching and
simulcasting devices are prohibited. Bonus stations, such as the GOTA station and satellite station do not count
towards determining the number of transmitters for the class and do not qualify for transmitter bonus points.

4.1. (Class A) Club / non-club portable: Club or a non-club group of three or more persons set up
specifically for Field Day. Such stations must be located in places that are not regular station locations and must not
use facilities installed for permanent station use, or use any structure installed permanently for Field Day. A single
licensee or trustee for the entry is responsible for the group entry. All equipment (including antennas) must lie
within a circle whose diameter does not exceed 300 meters (1000 feet). To be listed as Class A, all contacts must be
made with transmitter(s) and receiver(s) operating independent of commercial power mains. Entrants whom for any
reason operate a transmitter or receiver from a commercial main for one or more contacts will be listed separately as
Class A-Commercial.

Yea, OK. Now I understand... I have to admit...I haven't had time to read the doco yet...but I will. I'm sure that once I do...I'll understand all the 5A and 7A and what not...

But, if it helps...I'm planing on having my General by then...

I would like to try to meet up when you guys scout the area...not only will it help me understand the topo in relation to HAM...I'll be albe to bounce questions that I have off you guys at the time of talking about it all.

I'm still offering up my house for a meet and greet and plan for both the club and FD.

^ This would still be 2A. I dont think VHF/UHF counts towards your station class even if you have one radio on each band from 6meters to microwave.

I think 3A is a good class for us. One radio for 80, one for 40 and one more that can patrol the rest of HF. If there are enough high speed CW ops (like 3 or more) than we could have a 4th HF station for 40 and 80 CW for a 4A class. I am thinking that most of the new guys will be operating SSB.

And of course, whatever we want to do for 6M and up.

/John

Last edited:
^ This would still be 2A. I dont think VHF/UHF counts towards your station class even if you have one radio on each band from 6meters to microwave.

I think 3A is a good class for us. One radio for 80, one for 40 and one more that can patrol the rest of HF. If there are enough high speed CW ops (like 3 or more) than we could have a 4th HF station for 40 and 80 CW for a 4A class. I am thinking that most of the new guys will be operating SSB.

And of course, whatever we want to do for 6M and up.

/John

Yeah, it would be 2A as lons as 6/2/440 is only operating on one band at a time. Free transmitter rule, forgot that one:

4.1.2. Free VHF Station: Any Class A entry whose category is two or more transmitters may also
operate one additional transmitter if it operates exclusively on any band or combination of
bands above 50 MHz (VHF/UHF) without changing its basic entry classification. This station
does not qualify for a 100-point bonus as an additional transmitter. This station may be
operated for the clubs Field Day period and all contacts count for QSO credit. It is operated using
the primary callsign and exchange of the main Field Day group and is separate and distinct from
the GOTA station.

Sounds like we have a good basic plan already. I think we should try to come up with a day/time to go up there with a club member, but from what I remember we shouldn't have any trouble with trees for the wire antennas (besides getting them up there -- anyone have a CO2 cannon?)

Sounds like we have a good basic plan already. I think we should try to come up with a day/time to go up there with a club member, but from what I remember we shouldn't have any trouble with trees for the wire antennas (besides getting them up there -- anyone have a CO2 cannon?)

One of the guys I know said that they use their bow to get string up in the trees. I've been known to get my line caught up in the trees with my fly rod. [wink] So I'm sure that we could use that to our advantage. LOL!

One of the guys I know said that they use their bow to get string up in the trees. I've been known to get my line caught up in the trees with my fly rod. [wink] So I'm sure that we could use that to our advantage. LOL!

I rigged this up to get my W5GI 50 feet up, but it took quite a few tries and I lost lots of sinkers and washers in the process:

zebco1.jpg

I rigged this up to get my W5GI 50 feet up, but it took quite a few tries and I lost lots of sinkers and washers in the process:

zebco1.jpg

THAT KICKS ASS!!!

And I'm sure that some numskull in MA will say that it's illegal...but we know that it's not... As long as you're not causing a public disturbance. LOL!
(just trying to nip it in the bud now with the whole slingshot thing)

So, are we agreed on Monadnock for a location? It seems like people like the idea?

If so, I'll pitch it at the next members meeting first week of March. I am a member there, so we can do a scouting trip when ever.

Matt

So, are we agreed on Monadnock for a location? It seems like people like the idea?

If so, I'll pitch it at the next members meeting first week of March. I am a member there, so we can do a scouting trip when ever.

Matt

I've never been there, but everyone else seems enthused about it so I think it sounds good to me.

/John

Back
Top Bottom