• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Field Day 2022

Can someone explain to me what "do field day" means?

In essence, long-distance comms practice ... utilizing ham radio gear and frequencies. It's set up as a contest with points awarded based on the type of station, number of contacts, power level, ARRL challenges, etc.

Several years ago, we had set up a field station running on solar/battery at 5 watts analog max and were able to make contacts with stations in Colorado, Florida, et al. Not bad.

I probably operate 75% or more mobile (in the woods, wire in a tree), and people keep telling me I should do field day. But when I ask, it sounds like that's what I'm already doing. I was going to take advantage of the opportunity to test for my Extra, but holy crap is there a lot to know.

I know the local club sets up and does stuff. I may go see what they're up to. Someone mentioned satellite demos, that would be cool.

I stopped by the local club's field day today. It was much smaller than I expected, but they sure had a lot of antennas. If I had to guess I'd say there were 3 or 4 antennas per person, yet a few were running through a multiplexer to a single antenna.

I was hoping to see the satellite stuff in operation, but by the time one was going above the horizon we were distracted. There were five guys operating: two on digital, one on 6m, one not doing much of anything, and one on 40m running the GOTA rig. There was a tech up from out of the area getting to try out HF and he seemed to be having the most fun.

My favorite part was the vast amount of gear people brought, yet there was only molten trail mix and some dried fruit to eat. Most of these guys were there since Friday night.

I probably operate 75% or more mobile (in the woods, wire in a tree), and people keep telling me I should do field day. But when I ask, it sounds like that's what I'm already doing. I was going to take advantage of the opportunity to test for my Extra, but holy crap is there a lot to know.

I know the local club sets up and does stuff. I may go see what they're up to. Someone mentioned satellite demos, that would be cool.
You might surprise yourself on the knowledge. When I tested I went for Technician (lots of passing my test around and whispering amongst the VEs after that) and took the General even though I thought I wasn't ready - and passed.

One week to Field Day 2023. Now that I know what it's about, and that it's somewhat of a contest, I might give it a go from my Super Secret Squirrel Location. Lord willing the black flies will be done so hammock CW will be more pleasant. Unlike Winter Field Day it won't be 20 degrees the whole time.

I'm not sure what I'll run for antennas, maybe just bring the same one I used for WFD. As compromised as it was, I still worked the west coast on 6w. I'm thinking the FT-818 was too hard for the crowded bands, so maybe I'll use the FT-857D and bring the Mountain Topper for some night time CW.

I might pick up an Anker battery power station to keep everything topped off.

I can never figure out contest rules. If I'm going to be portable, on battery, by myself it looks like I'm Class B (but not Battery, because I'll be >5w). But the part about not being eligible for a "Free VHF Station", does that mean I can't run a separate 2m radio? I'm not going to be able to operate (transmit) on more than one radio at a time, but I would like to monitor 2m in the background in the off chance I can hear someone.

1687148486876.png

Boy, I suddenly got real excited about this. No better time than last minute.

1. I ordered an official t-shirt and mug. I have to check the rules but there must be some bonus points for drinking from the mug while logging a QSO.
2. I ordered that Anker power station. It's a little misleading for capacity because you lose power to the inverter, but maybe I'll charge at night vs leaving my battery charger connected all the time.
3. I figured out CAT control for the 857. My N3FJP logging software will at least get frequency and mode from the rig itself. That'll be real nice. I'll have to do some testing with this to make sure I have everything right.

My official tshirt and mug came today. I got the Made in China decal off the mug, and between these two items, I'm feeling a few extra watts of Tx power.

Amazon still hasn't shipped the power station. So much for Prime.

Field Day 2023 now.

Taking a little break. I am running 1E and I have just come off the 12kW generator and will switch to the 4500W one in a little while.

I have traditionally run 1E over the years and made it a generator servicing and testing weekend.

I was out of state last year and did not participate or know that the rules had been changed to allow 1D to QSO with other 1D for points. That is a rule born out of COVID times which has been keep for this year and I think that is good as I never saw the logic in discouraging 1D to 1D anyway.

Have fun.

🐯

I ran a few stations as 1D in MO last night...I'm hearing a good amount of kids on which is great. I'm listening this morning while I have my coffee (out of a Pink Floyd DSOTM coffee cup...no ARRL FD cup here). Not sure if I'll jump into the fracas today. I have been listening out for NH stations but haven't heard any yet, nor have I seen any spotted on the Cluster.

Didn't spend as much time at it as planned (messing with generator) and surprisingly only made 68 total QSOs, predominantly 40m/15m CW, but I had fun when I was on.

Just uploaded my log submission. Yes, I know there are a couple hours left but when the A/B class stations are forces to shut down after 24 hours duration because of the setup rule it all becomes kind of sad. In fact my soapbox submission along with my log was as follows...
All classes of stations should be able to work the entire 27 hours if they choose to regardless of set up time. The current rule really has no practical gain and the adverse effect of limiting public exposure on a Sunday at open sites.

🐯

I just got home, went to stretch my back out on the bed, slept for about an hour, and here I am. I ran about 7 hours yesterday. I was all set to go for 2 except no antennas up. It was raining buckets so I waited and waited, then decided I was just wasting time. I did reasonably well last night, and my 12Ah battery held up. Something was amok around 10 and my radio just did a hard crash. When it came back up, it had reset all the settings, so that was fun. I was in the middle of a QSO but found my way back and finished it. I really can't say if it was power related or not.

This morning I decided to give CW a try while I had my coffee in my correct Field Day mug, not just any old Pink Floyd mug that might have been laying around. I'm not good enough to accurately catch the exchange on the first try, so I like to listen to other QSOs first and get their category and section first. After a while I got to wondering how many people like me will listen to someone call at 30wpm for five minutes because I need to hear another QSO or two first, when if they were just calling at a more modest speed they wouldn't scare the slower guys away. I did work two guys in a row who instantly slowed to my speed and sent everything twice. I really liked that. If everyone did that, I would answer more calls. Even if they keep their character speed and slow down, that's enough for me. I know it's selfish.

I ended up with a little over 100 total. I think I got 18 CW and the rest SSB. Today was certainly more Rx than Tx, and by about 1:00 my body had had it. My camp chair was comfortable, but not back to back 7 hour days comfortable.

I didn't see it in the giant rulebook, but does Field Day do band multipliers? I tried working 2m simplex for a while just to get one contact for the extra band, but where I was located it was fruitless. I did get 80, 40, 20, and gangbusters on 15.

Field Day 2023 now.

Taking a little break. I am running 1E and I have just come off the 12kW generator and will switch to the 4500W one in a little while.

I have traditionally run 1E over the years and made it a generator servicing and testing weekend.

I was out of state last year and did not participate or know that the rules had been changed to allow 1D to QSO with other 1D for points. That is a rule born out of COVID times which has been keep for this year and I think that is good as I never saw the logic in discouraging 1D to 1D anyway.

Have fun.

🐯
I heard some guys talking about this and didn't understand it because I didn't know what the D category was at the time. I suppose it's not in the spirit of Field Day to be operating from home, but people have their reasons. It's not like they're running up scores and taking all the prize money.

Back
Top Bottom