Fiber Optic Pistol Sights Recommendations (non-radioactive)

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
I'm looking for recommendations for Fiber Optic Pistol Sights that are NOT radioactive (personal preference). If this thread results in lots of useful info, perhaps we'll make it into a Sticky.

I'd like the responses to be generic, rather than gun-model specific for that reason.

The objective is that they MUST be "de-horned" and suitable for a CCW gun, not just for target shooting.

I just inquired on GlockTalk about this for a G23 (and perhaps others) and here is a list of their recommendations (plus some I found) for a starter:

- Tru-Glo Fiber Optic Brite-Site Handgun Series
http://www.truglosights.com/

- Advantage Tactical Sight - looks interesting with the triangle sight. They offer LE and Dealer discounts. Wasn't specifically recommended on GT, I found it on TopGlock's site.
http://www.advantagetactical.com/index.html

- Hi Viz - I've seen them, not recommended but found on TopGlock's site. [Hi Viz website has an interesting audio about sighting and eye-dominance.]
http://www.hivizsights.com/

Anyone used any of the above? Share your experiences.

Anyone used anything else that they would recommend? [Or recommend to stay away from?]

Last edited:
I prefer the Dawson f/o sight. Unlike some f/o sights it has a serrated black portion surrounding the dot so you can easily use it like a traditional sight. Some f/o sights are round or have other shapes that don't make a well defined edge you can use to judge light bars and line up the top of the front sight with the top of the rear sight. The Dawson isn't melted but it doesn't have any super sharp edges and I don't usually consider the edges of the front sight too important in handling. I am adamantly opposed to any markings on the rear sight unless they are night sights.

I went to Dawson Precision's website. All their pistol sight sets were Tru-Glo sights!

They look like strictly a reseller of other's products, not a mfr.

I just got a Dawson sight on my M&P and so far I really like them. I wouldn't worry about carry issues with them...

I have a bunch of the Hi Viz sights on a variety of guns (pistols, shotguns, & rifles) and I love them all. If you are looking for a sight for a carry gun I would look at Hi Viz's "overmold" styles which have a clear rubber that encapsulates the light pipe and protects it from the abuse of daily carry. Most of their pistol sights are the type that resemble a traditional front sight with the added light pipe which is a definite plus when you want to get those groups nice and tight. I also have to say that their customer service is outstanding! I have had to call them to sort out a few minor fit issues and they were a pleasure to deal with.

Dawson has their own line and sells Truglo and Heinie. The Heinie rear and Dawson front is nice for carry. The Dawsons come in different widths, which can be a great improvement.

I had a Hi-Viz. It was too wide and it required their FO inserts that seemed to snap often. Dawsons use pieces of FO you can buy in large quantities and cut yourself.

Brazos also makes a FO front sight.

I prefer the Brazos lightning rod over the dawson. The FO glowed brighter. The Novaks were OK. Little brighter than then Dawson, but not as bright as the Brazos.

I prefer a big FO front sight. I would mushroom the FO on the Brazos until it was as wide as the front site, couldn't do that with the Dawson.

I have Hi Viz on my CCW, they are great with natural light especially outside but lose some of their visibility indoors with artificial light. All in all I think they are great for CCW but not for target or competition, it is too easy to have different lighting situations change the consistent look you may get with another type of sight.

Back
Top Bottom