FFL application waiting time in mass

Hello, does anybody know roughly how long it takes to receive your copy of FFL in the mail after the interview with ATF? Thank you

I just got my FFL07 recently. Here was my timeline:

1. Application in mail on March 2nd

2. Check cashed on March 15th

3. IOI interview/investigation on March 30th

4. FFL turns up positive on EZCheck on April 17th.

5. FFL in the mail on April 21.

Total time from application received to approval was about 7.5 to 8 weeks.

The rule is 60 days for decision upon a successfully executed application. A successfully executed application is considered as such when no further edits need to be made. You won’t know what edits you need, however, until meeting your IOI most likely. I had 5 small mistakes on the form. Technically, that 60 day process could start then.

The rule is 60 days for decision upon a successfully executed application. A successfully executed application is considered as such when no further edits need to be made. You won’t know what edits you need, however, until meeting your IOI most likely. I had 5 small mistakes on the form. Technically, that 60 day process could start then.
Ok interesting thanks for the response. And how would you search up your FFL on EZCheck to see if its positive while waiting for FFL to come in mail? Since you would need your FFL number to search it, are there any other ways like searching it by your first and last name? Thank you

Ok interesting thanks for the response. And how would you search up your FFL on EZCheck to see if its positive while waiting for FFL to come in mail? Since you would need your FFL number to search it, are there any other ways like searching it by your first and last name? Thank you
During my meeting with the IOI I was given the first three and last 5 of my FFL to help explain marking variances. But the ATF FFLC in WV also told me. Notably, the day the FFL was published, I got texts from companies asking me to verify my FFL to sell on a platform. I think they scrape the database and look for new entries.

By the time you meet with the ATF IOI your FFL has already been generated.

Hello! Thanks so much for the info, I received my FFL number from the FFLC and searched the number on EZCheck and my FFL popped up. Does this mean my FFL is active now and I can start manufacturing firearms and register them such as AKs or AR-15s and start partaking in activities that type 7 FFLs can legally do? Thank you.

Hello! Thanks so much for the info, I received my FFL number from the FFLC and searched the number on EZCheck and my FFL popped up. Does this mean my FFL is active now and I can start manufacturing firearms and register them such as AKs or AR-15s and start partaking in activities that type 7 FFLs can legally do? Thank you.
Your FFL has been issued. It’s tied to you/premises. Technically, you’re supposed to have your FFL hanging on the premises and give signed copies to dealers when conducting FFL to FFL transfers. My two cents would be to wait until you have everything in the mail just in case. It will probably be another 5 to 7 days. I took the time period to get accounts with GB, wholesalers, FastBound etc. set up.

In Mass, IN ADDITION to your FFL, issued by ATF, you will need several more licenses from State of Mass. Unless something has changed in the past few years, you'll want to obtain a Mass Dealer's license, Gunsmith's license and Ammo Seller (if you plan to) but at least the first two.

If your business model is selling only to FFLs in other states, perhaps you don't require the MA licenses, but without the MA Dealer license you cannot manufacture / deal items subject to MA AWB, FFL or no FFL.

In Mass, IN ADDITION to your FFL, issued by ATF, you will need several more licenses from State of Mass. Unless something has changed in the past few years, you'll want to obtain a Mass Dealer's license, Gunsmith's license and Ammo Seller (if you plan to) but at least the first two.

If your business model is selling only to FFLs in other states, perhaps you don't require the MA licenses, but without the MA Dealer license you cannot manufacture / deal items subject to MA AWB, FFL or no FFL.
“If your business model is selling only to FFLs in other states, perhaps you don't require the MA licenses” Which it is, my ATF IOI agent told me I am allowed to these kinds of activities. My premise is not zoned for retail and my business model for selling guns will be only out of state

Last edited:
“If your business model is selling only to FFLs in other states, perhaps you don't require the MA licenses” Which it is, my ATF IOI agent told me I am allowed to these kinds of activities. My premise is not zoned for retail and my business model for selling guns will be only out of state
Just be aware that without that dealers licence you remain subject to the AWB.

I wish you luck in your venture.

I appreciate your input but I think my IOI agent is more qualified to inform me of what I can and cant do instead of somebody in a forum. Thank you.
You're not wrong. You should always research what you can or can't do legally.

Do you already know everything you need to know in order to make your own informed decisions?

If yes, then why the hell are you asking for advice or info on an Internet forum in the first place? 😂

If no, then, you're welcome. I hope my and the others comments helped you. Mass does need more gun makers and dealers.

A little less hubris...

Just be aware that without that dealers licence you remain subject to the AWB.

I wish you luck in your venture.
I appreciate your input but I think my IOI agent is more qualified to inform me of what I can and cant do instead of somebody in a forum. Thank you
You're not wrong. You should always research what you can or can't do legally.

Do you already know everything you need to know in order to make your own informed decisions?

If yes, then why the hell are you asking for advice or info on an Internet forum in the first place? 😂

If no, then, you're welcome. I hope my and the others comments helped you. Mass does need more gun makers and dealers.

A little less hubris...
Again, with this specific matter I’d go with what the agent tells me rather than what you say. Thanks again

From the ATF:

Industry operations investigators (IOIs) support ATF’s regulatory mission by conducting regular inspections and investigations into regulated firearms and explosives industries. IOIs work closely with new and existing licensees to make sure their businesses meet all federal laws and regulations. They inspect their records and inventories to make sure all items are documented correctly and stored safely. During this process, they also look for evidence of trafficking and other criminal activities.

Prospective FFLs wishing to remain free should note that the ATF makes no claim of expertise with regard to state laws. OP going to jail.

From the ATF:

Industry operations investigators (IOIs) support ATF’s regulatory mission by conducting regular inspections and investigations into regulated firearms and explosives industries. IOIs work closely with new and existing licensees to make sure their businesses meet all federal laws and regulations. They inspect their records and inventories to make sure all items are documented correctly and stored safely. During this process, they also look for evidence of trafficking and other criminal activities.

Prospective FFLs wishing to remain free should note that the ATF makes no claim of expertise with regard to state laws. OP going to jail.

Good point, but it was handled. Sam will or won't listen.

Good point, but it was handled. Sam will or won't listen.
What was handled
From the ATF:

IOIs work closely with new and existing licensees to make sure their businesses meet all federal laws and regulations”

Why dont you talk about that part lol

And I’m not trying to argue or cause problems here lol, If somebody can show me a direct evidence that a Type 7 FFL without dealers are still subject to the AWB then I would agree. Reading the law on this matter has shown no direct indication to this claim

What was handled

IOIs work closely with new and existing licensees to make sure their businesses meet all federal laws and regulations”

Why dont you talk about that part lol

I did. You ignored it.

I'm not sure you realize that if your IOI give you bad advice, YOU go to jail. Not he or she. Mine was a chick. She wouldn't even discuss State law with me. If yours did, you should really think about that.

You certainly can proceed with your business without getting the MA dealer license. You should simply be aware that without that MA license, all aspects of the Mass AWB apply to you, even though you're a manufacturer operating under a federal license. I don't give a crap if YOU listen, it's clear you just wanted an argument.

My hope is that OTHERS reading this thread will give it a little more thought that you have, if they're looking to start an FFL related business.

And I’m not trying to argue or cause problems here lol, If somebody can show me a direct evidence that a Type 7 FFL without dealers are still subject to the AWB then I would agree. Reading the law on this matter has shown no direct indication to this claim
Look up the State of Massachusetts laws and see the answer for yourself.
Since your IOI is your only trusted resource I'll refrain from posting a l8nk to the relevant Mass Laws

Look up Chapt 140 section 131M
It's clear as day.

Last edited:
I did. You ignored it.

I'm not sure you realize that if your IOI give you bad advice, YOU go to jail. Not he or she. Mine was a chick. She wouldn't even discuss State law with me. If yours did, you should really think about that.

You certainly can proceed with your business without getting the MA dealer license. You should simply be aware that without that MA license, all aspects of the Mass AWB apply to you, even though you're a manufacturer operating under a federal license. I don't give a crap if YOU listen, it's clear you just wanted an argument.

My hope is that OTHERS reading this thread will give it a little more thought that you have, if they're looking to start an FFL related business.
I did. You ignored it.

Explain this then “If your business model is selling only to FFLs in other states, perhaps you don't require the MA licenses” your contradicting your own self brother

Look up the State of Massachusetts laws and see the answer for yourself.
Since your IOI is your only trusted resource I'll refrain from posting a l8nk to the relevant Mass Laws
I never said my IOI is my only trusted source lol, I researched the law myself before I even came in contact with them and cannot find what you guys are trying to claim

I never said my IOI is my only trusted source lol, I researched the law myself before I even came in contact with them and cannot find what you guys are trying to claim
Then you would know that while you don't need a Mass business license to sell to FFLs out of state, you still need one to be exempt from Mass AWB restrictions.

Then you would know that while you don't need a Mass business license to sell to FFLs out of state, you still need one to be exempt from Mass AWB restrictions.
100%, but cant I still legally be able to make post ban rifles if my business model is selling only out of state?

NOBODY IS STOPPING YOU

Just do it. I don't care. Your business adventures will surely make for lively discussion 18 months from now [laugh]

One last try here, because I really can't tell if you're a troll, a dufus or just backed yourself into a corner (as we all have from time to time).

A couple people on the site here have run seminars on how to FFL in a state like Mass. This topic is very clearly covered in the seminars. Look in the Mill threads or ask a dealer from there. The Mill itself is probably doomed, eventually, but the knowledge to be gained there is valuable.

100%, but cant I still legally be able to make post ban rifles if my business model is selling only out of state?

Sure, but who outside of Massachusetts is going to buy a neutered rifle? You have no market!

This post is also the first time you mentioned building POST ban rifles. Prior, you only mentioned "rifles".

I misread that.

If your business model is building POST ban rifles to sell to FFLs outside of Mass, then YES, YOU ARE GOING TO JAIL.

Last edited:
No because you can't possess them unless you are exempt
You are only exempt if you meet Chapt 140 Sec 131m which requires a license issued under section 122

NOBODY IS STOPPING YOU

Just do it. I don't care. Your business adventures will surely make for lively discussion 18 months from now [laugh]

One last try here, because I really can't tell if you're a troll, a dufus or just backed yourself into a corner (as we all have from time to time).

A couple people on the site here have run seminars on how to FFL in a state like Mass. This topic is very clearly covered in the seminars. Look in the Mill threads or ask a dealer from there. The Mill itself is probably doomed, eventually, but the knowledge to be gained there is valuable.

Sure, but who outside of Massachusetts is going to buy a neutered rifle? You have no market!

This post is also the first time you mentioned building POST ban rifles. Prior, you only mentioned "rifles".
Dufus 😆

I do know of one MA based, home FFL that operates without a MA dealer's license. He's VERY careful with what sort of merch he carries.

Note, I edited one of my responses above, because I realized OP admitted to planning to violate the Mass AWB.

Thats where my confusion is, because since my premise is not zoned for retail I would not be able to aquire a MA dealer’s license, but if I have a business model thats focused mainly on repairs and shipping guns out of state that does not conform with the AWB then it seems strange how the restriction would still apply to me
Logic is not part of the equation.
You require a dealer license in order to possess anything that is covered by the Mass AWB. If you don't have one then you cannot possess a covered firearm without being in jeopardy.
Also understand that your bound book is evidence of unlawful possession if you properly enter an AW. But not entering it puts you in federal jeopardy.

This isn't even complicated. Your business model is inherently flawed. That's not your IOI's problem.

One can have an FFL in MA without a dealer license. They could even have a business plan that operates without it - e.g., selling bolt rifles out of state. It happens that your plan is founded on not having read the law nor listened to the answers from the people on here who have already walked where you hope to.

Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense [...]

Section 122. The chief of police or the board or officer having control of the police in a city or town, or persons authorized by them, may, after an investigation into the criminal history of the applicant to determine eligibility for a license under this section, grant a license [...] to sell, rent or lease firearms, rifles, shotguns or machine guns, or to be in business as a gunsmith.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom