Feeding shells into the mag tube is a real PIA on my Remington 1100

I have been having issues for a while now with my 1100. Sometimes it's hard to feed the shells, sometimes I have malfunctions when the shell's rim gets hung up. Upon closer inspection, I have discovered that the mag tube has a slight "lip" on it where it fits into the receiver. That explains the issue with the shells coming out of the mag tube, but not going into it. going in, I believe that since the edges are so square and not radius-ed, that the square edge of the crimp on the shell hangs up.

Two things:
-I am thinking about reaming out the lip so there aren't failures as the shells are ejected out of the magazine tube into the receiver, has anyone heard, done this before? Is this "lip" what retains the orange follower?
-Would adding a radius or "feed ramp" (as the latest slang is these days) to the areas around where the shells go into the tube help at all?

Last edited:
Start with a good cleaning of the mag tube.
Back in the day we would buy improved followers from Tanks Rifle Shop.

If it's a used 1100 almost certain the magazine has never seen a detailed cleaning.
If it's new the Anti corrosive gunk they put on is like tar and far from lube.
It's a good time to clean out your action spring tube in the stock also.

Start with a good cleaning of the mag tube.
Back in the day we would buy improved followers from Tanks Rifle Shop.

If it's a used 1100 almost certain the magazine has never seen a detailed cleaning.
If it's new the Anti corrosive gunk they put on is like tar and far from lube.
It's a good time to clean out your action spring tube in the stock also.

Everything has been completely dissembled and cleaned, it isn't related to that. I am thinking it has to do with the feeding port. My friend has a Benelli and the feeding port has all nice and smooth radius edges.

Everything has been completely dissembled and cleaned, it isn't related to that. I am thinking it has to do with the feeding port. My friend has a Benelli and the feeding port has all nice and smooth radius edges.

Polish or round of this edge and let us know if that works.
1100s feeding loading issues generally come down to dirt or misaligned or slightly bent parts.
There are a few things that can drive you nuts on 1100.
Carrier dog spring and latch. These can easily get misaligned removing installing. Also the shell latch can be loose.... crud lodged in between it and the receiver.

Is this a new gun?

I have to ask because my dad would do it to me all the time.
"Is it really clean" he then would usually find some crud I missed.
Or one of his favorite questions "did it work before you cleaned it"
If the answer was yes he followed with "what the hell did you touch it for"
I no longer have any 1100s but my 870 mag tube is pretty rough around the feeding port also. Although no loading issues.

Last edited:
It's not a new gun, everything is tight, the shell latch has been re-staked recently (Remington actually warrantied this). It's always had this issue, not so much when loading one shell at a time, however when trying to quickly load shells, becomes somewhat difficult.

It's not a new gun, everything is tight, the shell latch has been re-staked recently (Remington actually warrantied this). It's always had this issue, not so much when loading one shell at a time, however when trying to quickly load shells, becomes somewhat difficult.

ahh, yeah if you try to fast and dont trip the release you fight the carrier.

Generally when shells are hard to load into the mag its a bad/worn mag button, spring or follower.

other than seeing the gun. I cant offer anymore

Last edited:
I've been through this before. There seems to be a quirk with some 1100s. Try this. Load one round in the chamber first inserting the shell in the chamber through the ejection port. Then close the bolt. Now try inserting rounds into the mag tube the usual way by hitting the button on the shell lifter. Do they go in easily? This has been the situation with some 1100s I've owned and worked on. In fact if you read the Remington instruction manual it will tell you to load this way. It seems the shell holders inside the receiver can bind the shells unless the action is "cocked". Please try this and let me know how you make out.

I've been through this before. There seems to be a quirk with some 1100s. Try this. Load one round in the chamber first inserting the shell in the chamber through the ejection port. Then close the bolt. Now try inserting rounds into the mag tube the usual way by hitting the button on the shell lifter. Do they go in easily? This has been the situation with some 1100s I've owned and worked on. In fact if you read the Remington instruction manual it will tell you to load this way. It seems the shell holders inside the receiver can bind the shells unless the action is "cocked". Please try this and let me know how you make out.

Original/early production required you to load a round then chamber it to continue loading into the mag.

Original/early production required you to load a round then chamber it to continue loading into the mag.

As opposed to what, releasing the carrier button and loading with the bolt back?

I wonder if the tang on the carrier has worn from slamming into the bolt and as a result, goes to far into the "up" position?
robertbobhartman_2008_030371.jpg

As opposed to what, releasing the carrier button and loading with the bolt back?/QUOTE]

No, what I meant was trying to load shells into the mag tube by pushing up the shell carrier with the bolt forward and the gun not "cocked". I have two older 12 gauge guns and one newer 20 gauge 1100 that will only load smoothly into the mag tube if the gun is cocked. If you try to load them otherwise the shotgun shells are very difficult or impossible to press in and you will see deep creases on the cases where they rubbed against the internal staked shell "feed latch" .

If your gun is still under warranty you could take it to a authorized Remington service station for a free fix. I believe Skips Gun Shop in Bristol NH is still on the Remington list of service stations.

I've know many 1100s to operated flawlessly for 1,000s of rounds so I kind of doubt the carrier is out of spec.

Good luck with your problem. Please let us know how you make out!

I had the easy loader and thought that it was that, I went back to the OEM chrome button and still there is an issue. The problem I am having is that the carrier is going to far "up" and as a result shell is jamming on the mag tube entrance on top of the tube. I wonder if the "nub" on the carrier that keeps the shell in place has worn down allowing for overtravel and thus the shell hitting the top of the tube entrance.

As opposed to what, releasing the carrier button and loading with the bolt back?

I wonder if the tang on the carrier has worn from slamming into the bolt and as a result, goes to far into the "up" position?
robertbobhartman_2008_030371.jpg

I will try to find the info..... and the updated part. For example my dad's old 20g you could not load rounds into the magazine unless you loaded a round in the chamber.

I'm sure the op just knocked something out of whack. There are a few things that are easy to tweet out of alignment. Short of getting my eyes on it I can't really offer much more.

Something to do with the interrupted by memory.....God my mind is going.

Last edited:
CT take a real good look at part #28 and 33 also make sure you have no grit in the trigger assembly.
More often 1100s malfunction because of something we did vs actual mechanical wear or failure.
Carrier latch,spring,shell latch all it takes is a little tweek and problems arise.

Here is a picture of what I think might be a worn carrier. I have taken a picture of the chamber with the bolt out for easier viewing and circled it in red. With the bolt in the firearm, It is as if the carrier goes "up" to much, when I slow down my loading, and allow the spring of the carrier to push against the nose of the shell, it feeds without issues however when I try loading two at a time, then I have the issue. Again, this is not a problem when I load one at a time and go slowly, it's only an issue when I try loading 2 at a time.
708835ca-0195-416c-885c-59c9547a9ea2.jpg

It was a combination of a few things. The problem is that the carrier would go to far "up" when loading shells, thus resulting in the nose of the shell jamming on the top of the mag tube.

The first fix was to fix the bent carrier, and after some fine tuning with a hydraulic press and pliers, I got it working just fine. The second part of the fix was to enlarge loading port, which I have added pictures of:
45f401a0-cdec-4596-ab31-e033b7148eaa.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

Back
Top Bottom