• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FedEx Refuses to ship Cody Wilson's Ghost Gunner Mill

Last week FedEx told firearm-access nonprofit Defense Distributed that the company refuses to ship the group’s new tool, a computer controlled (CNC) mill known as the Ghost Gunner. Defense Distributed has marketed its one-foot-cubed $1,500 machine, which allows anyone to automatically carve aluminum objects from digital designs, as an affordable, private way to make an AR-15 rifle body without a serial number. Add in off-the-shelf parts that can be ordered online, and the Ghost Gunner would allow anyone to create one of the DIY, untraceable, semi-automatic firearms sometimes known as “ghost guns.”

When the machine was revealed last October, Defense Distributed’s pre-orders sold out in 36 hours. But now FedEx tells WIRED it’s too wary of the legal issues around homemade gunsmithing to ship the machine to customers. “This device is capable of manufacturing firearms, and potentially by private individuals,” FedEx spokesperson Scott Fiedler wrote in a statement. “We are uncertain at this time whether this device is a regulated commodity by local, state or federal governments. As such, to ensure we comply with the applicable law and regulations, FedEx declined to ship this device until we know more about how it will be regulated.”

But buying, selling, or using the Ghost Gunner isn’t illegal, nor is owning an AR-15 without a serial number, says Adam Winkler, a law professor at UCLA and the author of Gunfight: The Battle over the Right to Bear Arms in America. “This is not that problematic,” he says. “Federal law does not prohibit individuals from making their own firearms at home, and that includes AR-15s.”

Defense Distributed’s founder Cody Wilson argues that rather than a legal ambiguity, FedEx is instead facing up to the political gray area of enabling the sale of new, easily accessible tools that can make anything—including deadly weapons. “They’re acting like this is legal when in fact it’s the expression of a political preference,” says Wilson. “The artifact that they’re shipping is a CNC mill. There’s nothing about it that is specifically related to firearms except the hocus pocus of the marketing.”

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/fedex-mill-untraceable-firearms/

- - - Updated - - -

If you're not already familiar with it:

The Ghost Gunner is technically a multipurpose milling machine that could make a variety of metal objects. But it’s not marketed for making garden gnomes; Everything from the machine’s name to a marketing video showing it being used to make an serial-numberless AR-15 makes clear that the device’s primary purpose is manufacturing guns. “This is a way to jab at the bleeding hearts of these total statists,” Wilson told WIRED in October. “It’s about humiliating the power that wants to humiliate you.”

Last edited by a moderator:
What a load of BS!

Someone, or some agency put the screws to FedEx pressuring/intimidating them not to handle the shipments.

Even if UPS and The USPS follows suit, all DD has to do is ship them out from another address or business and declare
that the packages are machine parts, tools, widgets, gonkulators, etc.

Only downside to that might be dealing with any claims for lost or damaged goods.

Wow... That's amazing. Does is just take 80% lowers? Or could you conceivably program it to make an entire lower from a block of aluminum?

Are they refusing to ship other less sophisticated tools that could similarly be used to make gun parts? Hammers and such?

It's just too dangerous to allow tools in the hands of private citizens.
They could make weapons with them. Or terrorists might buy them.
It's just common-sense, it's for the children! Won't anyone think of the children?!
If it saves even one life... ban machine tools!!

Completely absurd. This sounds like "Operation Choke Point", i.e. Obama's private army of federal bureaucrats making threats to private businesses.

I'm guessing that he's going to have to get creative, if UPS won't ship. Would USPS be able to refuse shipment, since it's only a quasi-private (government owned) corporation?

What's really fascinating, Cody Wilson has a FFL. According to Cody, FedEx already ships complete firearms from him.

It's completely insane.

Skip to 2:38

They're making a big deal about this so people hear about it and get outraged. Any anti or just uninformed person would be shocked if you told them regular guns are shipped all over the place daily and they never knew. Add a "cnc capable of making an untraceable gun" to the mix and you have a whole bunch of free publicity over a hot topic.

Completely absurd. This sounds like "Operation Choke Point", i.e. Obama's private army of federal bureaucrats making threats to private business.

Obamas's bureaucrats were not making threats - they took specific action to cut banking services to private business.

Obamas's bureaucrats were not making threats - they took specific action to cut banking services to private business.

That's where the word "like" comes into play. FedEx, as far as we know, hasn't had their access to banks removed for shipping firearms. But all it takes is a little pressure from the DoJ, a whisper into the FedEx CEO's ear, that working with Cody Wilson could make things "difficult" - and there you go.

Group buy? Now who will go pick them up?

Just think of what kind of mental/legal/verbal gymnastics they'd have to go through to stop you from transporting them across state lines in your personal vehicle. Sort of like how civil forfeiture (cash confiscation) works. They wouldn't arrest you, but they'd arrest your money, because your money might "allegedly" have been involved (in) or committed a crime.

The mfg should have keept a lower profile as far as the name of the company that made the millbot and where the company was located...How is it fedex, ups, or usps business what the machine does its a machine tool nothing else should have been mentioned.

"Low profile" and "Cody Wilson" are rarely, if ever, to be seen together. I admire what he's doing - namely exposing the futility of banning objects and the hypocrisy of legislators and others, and also this effort to get easy to use machine tools into more peoples' hands. But I guess he can also be his own enemy, because if he can't ship the machines then his customers won't have them.

Just think of what kind of mental/legal/verbal gymnastics they'd have to go through to stop you from transporting them across state lines in your personal vehicle. Sort of like how civil forfeiture (cash confiscation) works. They wouldn't arrest you, but they'd arrest your money, because your money might "allegedly" have been involved (in) or committed a crime.

We pre-pay. Lol.

For God's sake, shut the company down. Open the next day as Teddy Bear and Unicorn maker. Or the custom cake pan maker (as the son of a wedding cake baker, this really could be a BFD).

I just shipped my glock to Georgia a week ago with fedex. I addressed it to G.I. as it says to on the warranty slip. The lady working there asked "G.I.?" I said glock, inc. Then she told me she had just got back from Arizona and had shot 5 handguns at the range, one being a glock. Had a nice conversation. I was completely up front that I was shipping a firearm and added the insurance in case someone got sticky fingers.

How can they have a problem shipping a tool when they have no problem shipping an actual firearm?

What's really fascinating, Cody Wilson has a FFL. According to Cody, FedEx already ships complete firearms from him.

It's completely insane.

Skip to 2:38

FedEx approves of those because they are "regulated".

They don't need to know what's in the box, screw them. Let UPS have the business.

Yeah, I didn't think this was so complicated either. Whenever my wife ships anything, she tells them its jam.

- - - Updated - - -

For God's sake, shut the company down. Open the next day as Teddy Bear and Unicorn maker. Or the custom cake pan maker (as the son of a wedding cake baker, this really could be a BFD).

Better make that a gay cake pan maker; then they would be required to ship it.

FedEx...private company...their rules...your choice to use ... or not.

I agree, however, their rules need to be enforced equally across the board. Either they ship Machining Equipment and 3D printers or they do not. Otherwise, they are engaged in a discriminatory practice based on the possibility that the equipment MIGHT be used to create a firearm. What if I wanted to buy one and machine chess pieces or waterblocks for my CPU coolers?

FedEx...private company...their rules...your choice to use ... or not.

i think the real thing being questioned here is whether the government is leaning on fedex in a bid to **** with wilson.

because it's wilson? it would not surprise me in the slightest if that's true.

just currious (im sure there is a seperate thread for this, but my searching is not giving me what i want)... has anyone on here gotten one or tried one? How well does it work for AR lowers and how well does it work for other small objects?

If it only works on 80% lowers or something simular its a waste (just spend the cash for a real mill and skip the computer part) but if its a full function CNC machine that happens to be scaled for lowers it might be good to have even if its never used for lowers...

Back
Top Bottom