Federal HST 147gr +p in all my "carry Glocks"?? (17, 26 and 43)

GlockJock

NES Member
What's the general opinion on using Federal HST 147gr +p HP ammo for all my carry guns?....I carry, at various times, my G17 or G26 or G43 (sometimes all three, depending on which local war zone I might be walking through, LOL). ...Wondering if I'm "good" since I've never used Federal HST and "it ain't cheap around here"!!
(wife carries the Ruger LC9s...maybe switch her to the HST 147 also?)

Its all that I carry, and I have run a few hundred threw both my 17 and 26 with zero issues. My dad runs them in his 19 with the same results.

Jason.

I always thought the 147gr went too slow to be effective. When I did my ammo comparison it had one of the lowest ft/lbs of energy. Of course, I don't really know anything concrete regarding the best ammo to use, so don't take anything I say too seriously.

-Cuz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion you can't go wrong with anything HST, it is among the best ammo you can buy in any handgun caliber. But there are some differences in performance that you might consider due to the different barrel lengths. Typically the longer barrel/higher velocity increases expansion but reduces penetration, as seen in the first video where he compares results for the 147 standard pressure. This is also shown in the second video where the short barrel offers less velocity causing less expansion but much more penetration. However what matters most is that your firearms all reliably function with this ammo and that you and yours are comfortable shooting it. Practice with your carry loads as often as you can afford.

(BTW - I am absolutely no expert; I've based all of my carry loads off of tests on Youtube).

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought the 147gr went too slow to be effective. When I did my ammo comparison it had one of the lowest ft/lbs of energy. Of course, I don't really know anything concrete regarding the best ammo to use, so don't take anything I say too seriously. -Cuz Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's just not true. The 147 gr HST is one of the most effective 9mm loads. And it isn't the only good 147 gr load

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?99-Self-Defense-and-Duty-Loads-ballistics-info-by-DocGKR

That's my 9mm carry load currently. I have the 147 +p. I function tested it in all my systems 26, 19, pm9. Same with the 230gr 45 and the 180gr 40.

Test it your guns. I would think it would have some snap in the 43. Picking up a PPS this week and was planning to run the same ammo. As for price, buy it online. I think I paid $26/50rds for the 230g +p 45acp.

For a smaller gun (g26) I prefer 124gr +P. I currently like the Gold Dot Short Barrel load, which offers faster burning powder for shorter barrels.

For a smaller gun (g26) I prefer 124gr +P.

I get to the range about twice a month- I shoot 115gr practice loads every time I go out, so I use 124gr HST as my defensive load as it's closest to what I regularly use, I see no sense switching it up for defensive purposes. I know that using a higher load would, on paper, be a better choice, however, the reality is that if I'm under stress I'm going to anticipate the 114gr I always shoot. So I figure, if I'm going to be anticipating the 114gr that I train with all the time, I should use a HP that sits around there. If I were to jack it up to 147gr I'd be looking for a training load in the 147gr range.

Back
Top Bottom