• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

federal duck stamp for multiple states

Question: do I need a federal duck stamp on each of my state hunting licenses?

My situation, I have hunting licenses in CT, RI, NH and ME. Now, each states reg says I need a Federal Duck Stamp affixed to the license, signed across the face in ink. But the federal stamp is federal, ie, the same for all 50 states. But I hunt off and on in many NE states due to proximity. Doesn't seem right tom spend another 45 dollars to be redundant on the federal level. I have the proper licenses, state stamps, HIP certain ect.......but what if I am approached by a game warden and he asks to see my license, and he says there's no federal stamp on it, but I show him my CT license that shows I purchased this years federal stamp??????

It is a federal stamp so I would think you would need to buy it once. I would stamp the permit that would get the most use and carry that with you in every state you hunt.

I hunt several states as well and have never had an issue with it. Even after showing my license for that state and stamp on another license.

Question: do I need a federal duck stamp on each of my state hunting licenses?

No - The Fed stamp is good for all 50 states, as a permit to certain wildlife refuges during non-hunting seasons and a few other things. One Fed stamp is good for all states - as long as the stamp is in possession at the time of hunting.

A state specific stamp may be needed for each state - consult the state regs for such info (every state I've hunted in has required both Fed & state stamp)

Good luck

Could you please show the regulation that says that the "Federal Duck Stamp" has to be affixed to the license, As I have never heard of such, only that you must have the stamp and that it must be signed across the face, in ink. You have to have a HIP number from each state.

On the front of the stamp it says "If applicable, peel and attach to hunting license."

Though I know MA doesn't require you to: http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/laws-regulations/final-2014-15-waterfowl-abs.pdf
[STAMPS - Each waterfowl hunter 16 years or older must carry
on his person a valid federal waterfowl stamp and each hunter 15
years or older must purchase a Massachusetts waterfowl stamp.
The federal stamp must be signed across the face in ink.

In previous years/states I know it stated in the regs to affix the stamp to the license, so I've always done it as a matter of practice??? Either way, it looks like I'll be fine. i appreciate the input.

I've got one of my Dad's old licenses from back before you were born - there's a couple spaces on the back where you were supposed to put the stamps - you know, when they were real stamps with art on them, like for postage and everything - not like now, just a line item saying you paid for it.

Anyway - the procedure was you put the stamp on your license and then wore the license on the outside of your jacket in a swell red holder in grand duck-scaring fashion. I have multiple licenses and keep them all together in a hard to loose case in my coat.

I hunt several states as well and have never had an issue with it. Even after showing my license for that state and stamp on another license.

Me too.

I have licenses for 3 states and I keep the one with my Federal stamp with me no matter where I'm hunting. I've had a US FWS warden tell me that they want the stamp signed, however if the stamp was unsigned but permanently attached to a signed license they were okay with that as well. I've always signed my stamps, even though I would affix them to my license.

You only need one federal stamp for the entire USA.

Back
Top Bottom