Feb 3 DOJ rule mandates FFLs certify they have "safety devices" available

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
New DOJ rule requires gun stores to sell new safety devices
In a release on Monday, the DOJ said federal firearms licensees must now certify with the Department that they have “available secure gun storage or safety” devices available for purchase. The DOJ said the devices can include a safe, gun safe, gun case, lock box or any safety device defined by statute or regulation.

“Today’s announcements build on the department’s efforts to reduce the risk of firearms falling into the wrong hands,” Attorney General Merrick B. Garland said. “Gun safety is a Department of Justice priority, and we will continue to take all appropriate steps to help reduce the number of people killed and injured by the misuse of firearms.”

The rule was published in the Best Practice Guide for licensees and implements the existing Gun Control Act requirement and requires all licensees to have safety devices for all firearms they are selling.

DOJ statement:
Justice Department Announces New Rule to Help Enhance Safe and Secure Storage of Firearms; Publishes Best Practices Guide for Federal Firearms Licensees

So, every FFL will now need to carry at least one hard gun case? Or a wooden box with a lock?

First and foremost you have to read the actual rule as published by the ATF and not the summary and sensationalism written by random hacks that work for the press. It helps to understand what the rule ACTUALLY says.

For those too lazy to go read the rule: All FFLs that sell guns to the public must offer for sale at a minimum a safety device (trigger lock, cable lock) OR secure container (safe) that will work for all guns that they sell. And there are a bunch of get of jail free clauses like supply is constrained or something else bad happened.

So how does this rule compare to the current state of the world? Currently all manufacturers are required to include with all new guns a safety device. So this really only effects the sale of used guns in any meaningful way. In MA you must INCLUDE with any sale a safety device including used guns. So in MA this is essentially a no-op. But if we focus on the offer for sale, one trigger lock and one cable lock for sale satisfies the new rule. I have a box of both for those "just in case" situations and I suspect most FFLs in MA do.

This is really a lot of work done by the ATF to promulgate a new regulation (yes rules have the force of law as they are enabled by underlying law that permits certain agencies to promulgate necessary regulation to implement the law passed by congress). It will have no real effect on anything/anyone but they get some press conferences to say they are "doing something". They have their lapdogs in the press writing about it like it is a big deal so all the sheep think they "did something".

In fact this is a huge snooze.

First and foremost you have to read the actual rule as published by the ATF and not the summary and sensationalism written by random hacks that work for the press. It helps to understand what the rule ACTUALLY says.

For those too lazy to go read the rule: All FFLs that sell guns to the public must offer for sale at a minimum a safety device (trigger lock, cable lock) OR secure container (safe) that will work for all guns that they sell. And there are a bunch of get of jail free clauses like supply is constrained or something else bad happened.

So how does this rule compare to the current state of the world? Currently all manufacturers are required to include with all new guns a safety device. So this really only effects the sale of used guns in any meaningful way. In MA you must INCLUDE with any sale a safety device including used guns. So in MA this is essentially a no-op. But if we focus on the offer for sale, one trigger lock and one cable lock for sale satisfies the new rule. I have a box of both for those "just in case" situations and I suspect most FFLs in MA do.

This is really a lot of work done by the ATF to promulgate a new regulation (yes rules have the force of law as they are enabled by underlying law that permits certain agencies to promulgate necessary regulation to implement the law passed by congress). It will have no real effect on anything/anyone but they get some press conferences to say they are "doing something". They have their lapdogs in the press writing about it like it is a big deal so all the sheep think they "did something".

Totally agree. As I posted in the other thread, absent a bunch of hysteria from some, they are simply "re-enforcing" this already-existing law:

18 U.S. Code § 922 - Unlawful acts
(z) Secure Gun Storage or Safety Device.—
(1) In general.—
Except as provided under paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer to sell, deliver, or transfer any handgun to any person other than any person licensed under this chapter, unless the transferee is provided with a secure gun storage or safety device (as defined in section 921(a)(34)) for that handgun.

A "secure gun storage or safety device" is defined in 921(a)(34)

18 U.S. Code § 921 – Definitions
(34) The term “secure gun storage or safety device” means—
(A) a device that, when installed on a firearm, is designed to prevent the firearm from being operated without first deactivating the device;
(B) a device incorporated into the design of the firearm that is designed to prevent the operation of the firearm by anyone not having access to the device; or
(C) a safe, gun safe, gun case, lock box, or other device that is designed to be or can be used to store a firearm and that is designed to be unlocked only by means of a key, a combination, or other similar means.

Somewhere I've got a box of cheap trigger locks, cable locks and whatnot that came with gun purchases. Many states I've lived in, it was required that I also receive a pamphlet about gun safety, dont't give guns to kids bla bla bla.

This seems like its just rehashing whats been going on for some time.

Somewhere I've got a box of cheap trigger locks, cable locks and whatnot that came with gun purchases. Many states I've lived in, it was required that I also receive a pamphlet about gun safety, dont't give guns to kids bla bla bla.

This seems like its just rehashing whats been going on for some time.
FFLs are required to give one of these to anyone buying a new or used handgun.

e3d36b2f5bd4b83159568ffcf02cf5d9.jpg

I usually hand it back and the letter of the law is satisfied.

What's this "rule" business? Is it some kind of law or something?
It's a "rule" with the force of law, which is what we get for settling for having bloated executive-branch bureaucracies in charge of creative interpretations for things for which there are laws. That's why this will be foisted upon us:
Factoring Criteria for Firearms with Attached “Stabilizing Braces” | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

ETA: So one must abide by the new "rule" to be in compliance with the old law.

Last edited:

But I want to be OUTRAGED! Maybe I should mosey over to the 2A Illegal thread instead. There I can be outraged and in good company. LOL

What the DOJ has to say about it is linked under "DOJ statement" in the original post.

As mentioned in the other thread on this topic, NSSF ant their "Operation ChildSafe" program has been in-place for years, and they'll GIVE people free gun locks and safety information.

No need to "offer it for sale" or worse, forcing people to buy them.

Back
Top Bottom