Fear-mongering Antis Violate Constitution Again

This article will make you puke a little. It did for me. Most of the comments are as bad as the article.

http://www.eastbayri.com/detail/129534.html

WARREN/BARRINGTON — Warren Zoning Board members unanimously voted to deny an application for a special use permit filed by Barrington residents Robert and Diane Nichols to operate a gun shop on a 7-acre site on Child Street.

Board members denied the application on grounds that boxes of shells stored together would be considered “bulk explosives,” and therefore were prohibited in the town charter. There is no definition as to what “bulk” means but members felt that grouped shells, even if stored properly, constituted as bulk explosives.

If the gun shop was approved, it would have been operated out of a 2,000-square-foot building located at 249 Child St. and called “American Guns and Ammo.” Mr. and Mrs. Nichols own R&D Construction, also located on Child Street.

According to Mr. Nichols, about 100 to 150 long guns, like rifles, and 12 to 24 handguns would have been kept in stock and shipped to the store via trucks. The long guns would be assembled in three parts. The small guns would have been fully assembled excluding the magazine or clip.

Warren residents filled the meeting and cited concerns over the potential danger a gun shop would bring to neighborhoods surrounding the site. Common concerns were a drop in property values, whether guns would be tested on the premises, and how visibly the gun shop would be advertised.

Illegal transactions that allow felons to obtain guns through another buyer with a clean record who would pass a background check, also known as “straw purchases,” was also a fear for some residents.

Warren resident Jerry Belair said a gun shop, even if legal and regulated by the federal government, would bring in illegal activity to town, especially since the Tiahrt Amendment passed by the Bush Administration requires weapon stores to destroy background checks of gun purchasers within 24 hours.

“You may not see it, but people will be selling guns to convicted felons for a profit,” said Mr. Belair. “It’s a quick $50.”

Mr. Nichols told the board that the store would be safe since background checks are required from every client. Moreover, he could refuse to sell a firearm to any client regardless of the reason.

“If someone comes in, and they are whispering to a friend, and they want to get a gun, I don’t have to sell it to them,” said Mr. Nichols.

He also said he would comply with every federal and town regulation.
Advertisement

Warren Police Chief Thomas Gordon and Fire Chief Al Galinelli told zoning board members that security cameras and an advanced fire alarm system would be required of the shop before it could open, however, the store would be regulated by the federal government with its own licensing regulations separate from the town. They told members that they would work with the town to enforce necessary regulations, but their area of expertise did not concern federal gun store regulations; though Chief Gordon did tell the board that a gun store in Middletown has not had any problems with break-ins.

When board member Ben Ferrazzano expressed concern over the ability for shells to explode while being stored together, Chief Galinelli told the board that there needs to be an ignition for a fire to start. Without the ignition, the shells would remain intact.

Without speaking, Mr. Ferrazzano lined up four types of bullets along the table during the middle of the meeting.

Currently there are no stores that sell and assemble firearms in Warren. There hasn’t been a store in Warren that sells guns since Jamiel’s House of a Million Items sold a limited amount of firearms decades ago.

Residents’ concerns

Karen Ouellette, a Warren resident, told members she would have never bought her home if she knew a gun shop would be operating directly across from it. She said children frequent the streets and that while it may not be common, armed break-ins do happen. She felt a gun shop locates nearby would make the chances of break-ins increase.

“I know that it’s rare but the threat is there,” said Ms. Ouellette.

Resident Kathleen Sullivan asked Mr. Nichols if children would be allowed in the store. He said yes, as long as an adult was with the child.

Ultimately, after about 45 minutes of discussion, the zoning board decided to deny the request.

“From the information presented, I think it’s a clear decision,” said Mr. Ferrazzano.

Mr. Nichols would not comment on the decision while leaving the meeting.

While the town's decision seems dumb, and while there seems to have been plenty of fear-mongering on the part of the local anti's, I don't see the Constitutional violation.

The issue appears to have been an attempt to get a zoning variance to run a business in a residentially zoned neighborhood. Hardly a Constitutional violation.

Mr. Nichols should pack up his business and move it to a town which is not run and populated by morons who need to change their undies every time someone mentions a gun. His tax money would be better spent someplace else.

As for Mr. Ferrazzano lining up four types of bullets...what was that all about? Was he waiting for them to explode? [rolleyes]

You already live in MA.

Moving to RI is like cutting off your left nut rather than your right. Might as well move to NH where you will be get a 3rd nut.

Meh, that part of the state is pretty well a moonbat cave anyhow. The rest of the state is not *that* bad.. saying it is like cutting of lefty is not quite accurate. No AWB or 2A permit (although having to get a "blue card" is ridiculous. ) required. CCW is a PITA though.
Maybe getting caught in your zipper would be a better comparison. [crying]

Common concerns were a drop in property values,
I have lived in two towns each a block away from a gun store. Home values were no different there then anywhere else in town or surrounding neighborhoods...

I have lived in two towns each a block away from a gun store. Home values were no different there then anywhere else in town or surrounding neighborhoods...

I would have asked for comparable sales to prove their B.S. claim.

It isn't a residential neighborhood. In fact, that property is zoned industrial-manufacturing. The variance was to put a retail establishment in a manufacturing district.

It isn't a residential neighborhood. In fact, that property is zoned industrial-manufacturing. The variance was to put a retail establishment in a manufacturing district.

I just looked that up too. Looks like the location was in an industrial/retail park. The whole thing's pure BS, but it still isn't a violation of the Constitution. It's a zoning fight with all the small town BS that goes with one.

Well, this is good news. Apparently the town is so well off, they don't need any more dollars from taxing a new business in town. Just remember that if you live there and they start crying about deficit.

It's up to them if they want to approve or deny the business, but as for the reasons provided [slap]

14th Amendment: equal protection of the laws. This business is being singled out because of what they do, while other businesses in that district had no problem getting approval. The reasons cited by the Zoning Board have no basis in the ordinances the Board is supposed to administer.

14th Amendment: equal protection of the laws. This business is being singled out because of what they do, while other businesses in that district had no problem getting approval. The reasons cited by the Zoning Board have no basis in the ordinances the Board is supposed to administer.

Weak. The 14th protects individuals, not corporations. Further, the board ruled the business would violate a town ord. - which is their job.

Last edited:
I hope these good people get a Yoof Center, a methadone clinic and some "affordable housing" units in their town. What a bunch of pukes.

I hope these good people get a Yoof Center, a methadone clinic and some "affordable housing" units in their town. What a bunch of pukes.

Oh, Borrington is possibly the biggest collection of moonbats in RI. This is very unsurprising. A strip club would have an easier time opening in Barrington/Warren then a gun shop

They should switch over to manufacturing ammo instead! Sounds well within the zoning restrictions to me! [laugh]

Yo Jerry

What, ..... no disclosure for Jerry Belair, concerned citizen ?? Legislative Director of Stop Handgun Violence ??

"Warren resident Jerry Belair said a gun shop, even if legal and regulated by the federal government, would bring in illegal activity to town, especially since the Tiahrt Amendment passed by the Bush Administration requires weapon stores to destroy background checks of gun purchasers within 24 hours.

“You may not see it, but people will be selling guns to convicted felons for a profit,” said Mr. Belair. “It’s a quick $50.”
http://www.eastbayri.com/detail/129534.html

"Thursday, March 2nd 2007, Jerry Belair, Warren

Congrats to all for bringing back the yourwarren site. This is a great opportunity for concerned

Warren residents to engage in true discussion about the Tourister Mill Development. By way of full

disclosure, I am the project manager for the Tourister Mill and have worked for Meredith Management for

22 years. My background as a marine biologist and an environmental activist as well as a lawyer makes

this particular development an exciting opportunity to try and implement solid green and SmartGrowth

philosophies which I have always supported. My longevity with Meredith is due precisely to Meredith's

and specifically, John Rosenthal's, social and environmental commitments in conjunction with

development strategy."

http://tinyurl.com/n2ancw

MA, RI, CT - all Democrat controled far Left states populated with people taught to genuflect at the alter of government and wait submissively for governments' permission before doing anything.
If New England could have an unlimited source of cheap power if it could only harness the power of the Founder Father turning over in their graves.[rolleyes]

Yes, it is the infamous Jerry Belair of the NH gun show entrapment scam. Haven't met him yet but I already know he's one of the WBAs. (World's Biggest...)

At this point it's up to Mr. Nichols to decide if he wants to fight the ruling or not. If he does, there are a number of people lined up to support him. I plan to discuss it with several Town Council members anyway as I have a major problem with the zoning board making capricious decisions that are not based in law to discourage good businesses from coming to town.

This town needs businesses and jobs for the people who live here, not more residential real estate development that brings in "consumers" who cost the town more than they pay in taxes and drives down home prices due to oversupply.

Yes, it is the infamous Jerry Belair of the NH gun show entrapment scam. Haven't met him yet but I already know he's one of the WBAs. (World's Biggest...)

At this point it's up to Mr. Nichols to decide if he wants to fight the ruling or not. If he does, there are a number of people lined up to support him. I plan to discuss it with several Town Council members anyway as I have a major problem with the zoning board making capricious decisions that are not based in law to discourage good businesses from coming to town.

This town needs businesses and jobs for the people who live here, not more residential real estate development that brings in "consumers" who cost the town more than they pay in taxes and drives down home prices due to oversupply.

Sounds like my town

Funny, Here in Hooksett NH, Riley's is a landmark like Robies general store. Paranoia! These people are afraid of a business that will pay taxes and employ people. That is so f@cked up. JP

Back
Top Bottom